“It's Fun!!”

Book In Advance
More Info
$15.00*
and up
General Admission Ticket: La Brea Tar Pits and...
Ranked #38 of 612 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Explore the world's only active, urban Ice Age excavation site. Inside the Page Museum is where we showcase the best fossils, animals, and plants that have been discovered here - mammoths, saber-toothed cats, dire wolves, and more. Experience the Ice Age come to life with our Ice Age Encounters show. Outside check out the La Brea Tar Pits where tar is still bubbling and our active fossil excavation sites to see what our excavators have uncovered today. Make the most of your visit with our Excavator Tour. Get the behind-the-scenes story and see scientists working on recently excavated fossils, walk around our famous Lake Pit, and visit our live dig site where scientists discover new Ice Age specimens every day. Free with museum admission.
Reviewed September 24, 2008

The place is a great place to visit if you like science and fossils. These are not dinosaur fossils, though. They are fossils of=2 0ice age animals that got trapped in the seeping tar. It is a great place to spend 40 minutes and see something. The Los Angeles County Museum of Art is right next door, so very worth it to see two places at the same time that are somewhat cultural.

1  Thank traveler4k
Write a ReviewReviews (2,660)
All reviews
in 210 reviews
"asphalt"
in 148 reviews

Reviewed August 20, 2008

Overall, I was very impressed by the Page Museum and the La Brea Tar Pits. Before we visited the museum and tar pits, I didn't quite understand how these two sites are related; I'll describe each separately, touching on that point.

Page Museum: At $7.50 for adults, this museum doesn't have quite as steep an admission fee as the Natural History Museum, and the youth fee ($4.50) and child fee ($2.00) are a good deal as well. We spent about an hour in the museum and that seemed to be a good amount of time as it isn't a huge space. The video on the left shortly after you enter the museum is very good at giving an overall idea of the tar pits -- the age of some of the fossils that have been found, what kinds of fossils have been found, how the fossils ended up in the tar, etc. The video was about 10 minutes and helped us understand the rest of the museum and tar pits as we walked through. There is an atrium in the middle of the museum with some greenery and a small pond with turtles and fish. The aim of this atrium seemed to be to show how different life in L.A. was at the time compared to the L.A. that we know now. Also in the museum is a window into the Paleontology lab, where you can see several people at work sorting different fossils found in the tar pits. There was another video towards the end of the museum that was a behind-the-scenes at the museum and excavation sites that was neat as well. Overall, the museum was informative, and I would recommend it to any tourist who has not been there before and wants to get a better idea of what they're looking at in the tar pits. The museum is somewhat aged, however, and it's the kind of place that is worth one visit but not two or three.

Tar Pits: I didn't realize before our visit that the tar pits were open to the public -- the park in which the tar pits are located (on the same block as LACMA) is open to the public, and only the Page Museum charges an admission fee. The 'Lake Pit,' which is located along Wilshire Blvd., is very cool because the tar is actively bubbling, which is neat to see. In addition, while we were there, the Pit 91 Viewing Station was open, and that was a very important part of our visit. Pit 91 is a huge tar pit, described on the brochure as "the longest on-going urban paleontological excavation site in the world". The excavation has been going on since 1969 and has temporarily been put on pause for 5 - 10 years while staff work on another site that has recently been discovered. At the Pit 91 viewing station, you get a side view of the excavation, where fossils that are the next to be removed are marked with flags. Descriptions of the marked fossils are at the viewing station, along with an employee who can explain the scene and answer any questions.

My review got 4 stars instead of 5 because of 2 things: 1) The museum had good exhibits and movies, but there was a definite dated feeling. 2) Originally, when we walked out to the Pit 91 Viewing Station, the employee who was staffing the station was locking up despite the fact that the station was scheduled to be opened for another 45 minutes. He said that his coworker hadn't showed up and he had to return to the museum to find him. We asked if perhaps he could radio the coworker but he said that he'd forgotten his radio. We adjusted our plans so that we went back into the museum and explored there before checking out the viewing station, which turned out to be a good plan in the end, but it was a bit of a disappointment to walk out to the Pit 91 Viewing Station and find that the employee was closing it way ahead of schedule.

Overall, I'd say that the Page Museum and La Brea Tar Pits are worth a visit if you're interested in paleontology and science in general. I'd allow around an hour and a half for a visit.

3  Thank sfka2427
Reviewed July 29, 2008

I had heard of the La Brea Tarpits but never knew exactly where they were. My husband and I were literally driving by and stopped while trying to get to Hollywood (we never did get to Hollywood.) As a teacher, I found this to be an awesome, educational experience. At the museum, we were greeted and asked if either of us was a teacher-yes, I had my CTA card and got in free! How refreshing! My husband was as fascinated as I was about how the food chains are found in the tar. It was also great to see that it is a working site, much more is being discovered there. Don't miss the short, free, movie about the site.

1  Thank esteacher
Reviewed July 17, 2008

Well, I'm kind of a nerd so I really enjoyed the tar pits and museum. Usually I would never bother going to a science museum while travelling cause I figure they're all the same but this one was definately unique. When you come into the park you see the tar pits with life size (or close enough) models of what mastadons look like when they die. We paid the student price which was around $3. I wouldn't have liked paying the full price because the museum was pretty tiny. There were a couple of films about the digs and how the animals were trapped and entire food chains would be captured together. For example they would find a horse that got stuck, the saber tooth cat that got stuck trying to eat the horse, the wolves that tried to eat them both and the vultures that came to eat all the remains. There was a whole wall of wolf skulls and lots of skeletons as well as an area where you can watch the lab workers cleaning fossils etc. A very popular exhibit for children is a big (closed) tub of tar where you can feel how hard it would be to pull various sized objects out of the pits.

3  Thank csylviareed