“Quick trip to La Brea Tar Pits”

La Brea Tar Pits and Museum
Ranked #17 of 542 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Explore the world's only active, urban Ice Age excavation site. Inside the Page Museum is where we showcase the best fossils, animals, and plants that have been discovered here - mammoths, saber-toothed cats, dire wolves, and more. Experience the Ice Age come to life with our Ice Age Encounters show. Outside check out the La Brea Tar Pits where tar is still bubbling and our active fossil excavation sites to see what our excavators have uncovered today. Make the most of your visit with our Excavator Tour. Get the behind-the-scenes story and see scientists working on recently excavated fossils, walk around our famous Lake Pit, and visit our live dig site where scientists discover new Ice Age specimens every day. Free with museum admission.
Edmonton, Canada
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Quick trip to La Brea Tar Pits”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Was in the L.A area, and decided to stop into and see the tar pits. The area is pretty chained off, but it was cool to see the oil slick ontop of the surface water. Some bubbles of Methane came up too!

Didn't really have a chance to see much of the Page Museum there, but they had an assortment of animal skeletons retrieved from the tar pits. Ranging from sabretooth tigers to elephants and some other extinct animals.

Would recommend this place to individuals seeking a family day as they have picnic areas and I'm sure the kids would love a place like this.

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Waterdown, Canada
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Very educational and interesting spot.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Tar pits weren't entirely interesting to look at but the museum was very well designed and the information was captivating. My children truly enjoyed the timeline display, the working lab, and the dire wolf skull!

Miami Beach, Florida
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 102 helpful votes
“The subject of a 4th grade book review, became a reality!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

This is one of those places I have wanted to see after learning about it when I was about 9 or 10 years old. Not the easiest place to get to via bus, but doable depending on where you are at. The exhibits and pits are wonderful. The grounds are also a nice place to lounge around...too bad there isn't much in the way of picnic provisions to be had in the general area.

Warren, MI
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“I expected a lot more”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

I was disappointed. It could be that my expectations were too high, but I didn't feel like there was as much to see as I had hoped. Perhaps it wa the time of year I went, but the tar wasn't bubbling much and I just felt let down. The museum was very nice, just not very large. It would be a good place to take children, as a learning experience.

Visited April 2012
Dripping Springs, Texas
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Ice Age Fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

I go here with my kids (ages 9 and 11) several times a year and have since they were itty bitty. The museum doesn't change much, but the kids love it. One display has you try to pull your way out of the tar. There's a case of dire wolf skulls found at the Tar Pits. There are two good films. Plan to spend about an hour and a half exploring.

1 Thank teachkindy