“Hasbeen..”

Cross street: Melrose
Los Angeles, California
“Hasbeen..”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

My husband and I went partying for his birthday, the next morning I really wanted him to try the "chilaquiles" they have at Street since to me it was the BEST and MOST authentic ever. Plus we wanted to have a brunch with Bloody Mary's and Mimosas. URGH! I am never going back there.. We wanted to seat outside because it is LA after all and it was sunny outside, it was a little chilly and everyone seating in the Patio had a heater by their table. Ours wasn't working and the waiter made a "how dare you ask me to turn it on" face and took forever to do it, forever to take our order and FOREVER to bring the food and drinks. The Bloody Mary was really not a bloody mary but some concoction with vodka and olives being called that, and the chilaquiles WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT! They don't make them authentic anymore, now it's this rare ugly looking mess of tortillas with a bland sauce, peppers! and tons of cheese.. supposedly it came with an egg.. The waiter had the typical I am too good for you attitude, I am doing you a favor, not really working for his tip... I told him that our chilaquiles didn't have eggs as per the menu.. He said that they didn't come with eggs.. from then we went to a discussion of yes they do, to him going no they don't which was REALLY ANNOYING.. Until it ended with why don't you bring me the menu so I can show you THEY DO! And plus I've had them before in this same restaurant. He left all annoyed and came back and said, turns out you are right they do come with eggs, so you should have eggs on yours.. WOW! .. I said if you show me where they are I will be more than happy to eat them.. He kept on giving me crap about it!!! What happened with the customer is always right? Of course I didn't have any eggs in mine, it took me a lot to convince him about it, and it took even longer for him to bring me two stupid scrambled eggs to eat with my now cold chilaquiles.. At the end I realized that this restaurant is no longer the amazing authentic dishes, super good service it used to have. Like many other restaurants in LA it is a has been, where they don't really pay attention to the type of waiters they have, and the fact that they call all the food "authentic" I would really like Susan S. to show me WHERE in Mexico they do those awful things they call chilaquiles now and also where else in the world they make such disgusting bloody mary's.. We left unsatisfied, unhappy and overall very bummed out because I was treating my hubby for his birthday and I really wanted the whole going out partying and then going to brunch experience to be great, since we hadn't done it in a long time.. I am never coming back to this place.. the best of luck to them.. and if you go I really REALLY suggest you ask questions about the "authenticity" and make sure you get what you are paying for.

• Visited December 2012

London
“Wonderful hospitality”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

This restuarant was a real find for us. We loved the tasting plates menu of eclectic fusion food, divine meatball selection, spicy pop corn, and great service. Susan was working the evening we visited and she took time out to check on us, bring me a blanket as I was a little chilly on the terrace, and just generally made us feel so welcome and comfortable, I would like her to adopt me. The whole experience was so wonderful, I plan to seek out all her restaurants when I am visiting the US.

• Visited November 2012
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Unique flavor combinations”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

From the delightful starters to the delicious main courses and even the drinks this hip restaurant provides well thought out twists and turns of taste and flavor in its fusion of inspirations. Great value too. If you're in the area, go (make sure you're in the area sometime!)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“interesting”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The place is really nice, especially from the viewpoint of someone who lives in a colder climate. The almost open air dining room is covered by giant umbrellas....the cool evening was made bearable by firepits and heaters. the small plates were wonderful, with a large selection of foods to please even the unadventurous diner. I agree with several other reviewers, the service could have been better. ESPECIALLY since the boss (Susan Feniger) was in house! Our server didn't check back with us to see if we needed more, and it took forever to get another glass of water. that said, I still dream about the kyah toast and the chicken and waffle......

• Visited October 2012
Los Angeles, California
“Never again”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We went to Street because of all the great reviews and personal recommendations. As to the food, those were on the money, but as for the rest, we've had better experiences in fast food restaurants off the Interstate.
For starters, our server was less than uninterested. We watched while other tables received prompt, attentive service and a small, but delicious-looking amuse. We got neither. Our server seemed to be more interested in hanging out with his friends in a little alcove above the seating area. We felt as if we were bothering him.
Worse still were the flies. Really? In a high-end celebrity chef's showcase? I think one rolls the dice when eating outside at a fast food joint, but we'd expect to see at least some effort at insect control.
There are many excellent restaurants in LA that have earned their reputations with great food AND service. If you don't mind one without the other, this is the place for you.

• Visited October 2012