“Good food, excellent service”
Review of Chaya Downtown

Chaya Downtown
Reserve with OpenTable
Chaya Downtown is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #366 of 10,132 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Between 5th and 6th
Transit: FREE SHUTTLE SERVICE provided to and from major entertainment venues in Downtown Los Angeles. It runs every 15min beginning at 6:45pm.
Description: The Chaya restaurant family originated when Hikage Chaya opened in Hayama, Japan. From this initial tea house, that opened 390 years ago, the Tsunoda family has expanded into French bistros and pastry shops throughout Japan and introduced the brand to the U.S. in 1984 with the opening of Chaya Brasserie in Beverly Hills. Since then, Chaya has opened locations in Venice, San Francisco, Downtown Los Angeles, and LAX. The cuisine at each restaurants can best be described as modern Japanese though each restaurant has a distinct personality reflecting their different locations. Corporate Executive Chef, Shigefume Tachibe is best known for pioneering modern Japanese cuisine and his contributions to the Asian-Fusion movement. His chef coat and knife are in permanent display in the Smithsonian. The most important tenet of Chaya's philosophy is high-level omotenashi (hospitality), bringing the Japanese teahouse tradition of warm and personal service to each guest.
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Had dinner with a friend. I started with the soft crab, which was fantastic, my friend had a kale salad which was equally scrumptious. For entre my friend had the Sea Bass which was beautifully done and I had the 8oz rib eye, which was cut too thin to make it cover more of the plate. It would have been better had it been thicker, and hence juicier. We indulged in a couple of desserts, my friend had the triple banana- which is an amazing treat, innovative and very decadent. I had the warm hazelnut chocolate cake, which was delicious. Our waiter was polite, not hovering, but still attentive. The bar service was also excellent.
Even though the restaurant is large it's layout affords a nice atmosphere for conversation.
Parking is under the building in the heart of downtown Los Angeles and the first 4 hours are free with validation.

1  Thank Nili99
There are newer reviews for Chaya Downtown

Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

I must say I was impressed with this Gem in Downtown. Great Ambiance, the customer service is on point, the sushi is amazing!! Ordered the spider roll, ans spicy shrimp roll. The tuna tarte appetizer was delish!!! To drink I ordered the Russian Blues:-) Will definitely be back!

Reviewed April 26, 2014

This is one of the best Japanese restaurants that I have tried. As good as Tomo in Atlanta and Morimoto in NYC. The beet and orange salad was very good. Scallop cerviche was fresh and different from other cerviche that I had. Yellowtail/scallion sushi was my favorite. Yellowtail crudo with jalapeño was ale very good. Dessert was OK. Love the Inniskilin Ice Wine.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Finally went here after living nearby for awhile and enjoying the other venues in the area. It was both better than I expected and disappointing. The ambience was cold and on the formal side, like a good business and formal-friends place. We had the Wagyu beef carpaccio (pretty good), the jidori chicken (nothing special), the rib-eye (way too played with with various spices) and the osso bucco (great). It appears the direction to go in here is for the bento boxes and fish dishes, and if we go back, we'll try those. All in all, was not that impressed.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

We had the bento combination dinners before the LA PHIL. and it was warm enough for us to sit outside in the beautifully lit courtyard. However, the white tableclothed tables we passed on the way to use the bathrooms looked so elegant that next time, we will sit inside. Our server was cool and the service was fast. It was a high end taste without the high end price. So nice to find a great restaurant in a city we know nothing about!