“Good food and good service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chaya Downtown

Chaya Downtown
Reserve with OpenTable
Chaya Downtown is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #321 of 9,848 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Between 5th and 6th
Transit: FREE SHUTTLE SERVICE provided to and from major entertainment venues in Downtown Los Angeles. It runs every 15min beginning at 6:45pm.
Description: The Chaya restaurant family originated when Hikage Chaya opened in Hayama, Japan. From this initial tea house, that opened 390 years ago, the Tsunoda family has expanded into French bistros and pastry shops throughout Japan and introduced the brand to the U.S. in 1984 with the opening of Chaya Brasserie in Beverly Hills. Since then, Chaya has opened locations in Venice, San Francisco, Downtown Los Angeles, and LAX. The cuisine at each restaurants can best be described as modern Japanese though each restaurant has a distinct personality reflecting their different locations. Corporate Executive Chef, Shigefume Tachibe is best known for pioneering modern Japanese cuisine and his contributions to the Asian-Fusion movement. His chef coat and knife are in permanent display in the Smithsonian. The most important tenet of Chaya's philosophy is high-level omotenashi (hospitality), bringing the Japanese teahouse tradition of warm and personal service to each guest.
SF
“Good food and good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

I frequent the one in SF and it is excellent. The one in downtown LA is almost as good. Clearly it is a place for businesses who need to meet or take clients to. The food was well prepared and the service excellent. I look forward to go back.

Visited March 2013

Los Angeles, California
“Food Poisoning”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

I've eaten there twice in the past 6 months since renting an office next door. The first time I thought it was just an off day -- the bento box was a strange mash up of food with odd flavors & the chicken seemed processed and nothing quite went together. I had an upset stomach & didn't really have an appetite for the rest of the weekend.

So I recently decided to give it another try, and got sushi. The sushi was dry, the color of the fish was off, half of the pieces had a strong rotten fishy flavor that old seafood that's been sitting around gets. I ate about 6 pieces, the only thing I'd eaten all day, and I was starving, but I could just tell the food wasn't right. An hour later was clutching the toilet bowl vomiting. My coworker ordered the same thing as me (the sushi combo) and went home with an upset stomach.

3 cases of food poisoning in 2 trips. Someone please shut this place down.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Los Angeles
“Asian Flavors in Downtown”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Always different, Chaya excels in out of the box thinking. I love their unusual approach to rethinking standards. Crisp, modern and delicious, Chaya Downtown is my of my regular favs.

Visited July 2012
Los Angeles
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

I've been to the original Chaya near Robertson Blvd./West Hollywood and enjoyed its Californian/Asian fusion cuisine very much. So, working downtown, I was happy to see their new place. I decided to give it a go for a friend's birthday lunch. When I phoned to make a reservation, I mentioned that it was for my friend's birthday and could they do a little something special, to which they agreed. When we arrived, we were seated at a back, drafty table. Out waiter was cool and impatient. Our tiny portions arrived cold. When the check quickly arrived, I mentioned to our waiter that it was my friend's birthday (nudge, nudge). He said, "Oh, Happy Birthday" and left with my credit card. Suffice to say, my friend was good-hearted but visibly disappointed. That evening I phoned Chaya and mentioned what a letdown the experience had been, esp. the fact that the birthday was not acknowledged. The Chaya person gave me a most insincere apology. And that was that. Shan't be back.

• Visited May 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
“interesting food, average service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

had an evening business dinner there, good interesting food, good wine selection, but the service staff was a bit impatient (it was a large group and I'm sure they were frazzled)

Visited December 2012