“CHUMPED in Century City”
Review of Toscanova

Toscanova
Reserve with OpenTable
Toscanova is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #867 of 10,192 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Century City
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We were there for shopping and cinema-ing and hadn't done our homework about where to lunch. We wanted to eat somewhere other than the food court area, and so checked out the restaurants clustered in the northwest corner of the shopping center. It appeared Toscanova was the most popular, at least on that afternoon, and the menu offered a number of things that looked interesting.

We each decided to order the "Tonno Primavera" salad, which sounded like an Italian version of a Salade Nicoise, but with "marinated tuna." We thought that since it was listed under the "Insalatone" heading, for $16.00, not under "Insalate Antipasti" for $12.00, that we were each ordering an entree salad. What a joke.

Our salads were served in lovely large white ceramic tilted bowls. In each salad there was approx one cup of lettuce, three cherry tomatoes, one heaping tablespoon of CANNED tuna, separated into four or five clumps, maybe three small slices of cooked potato, tossed in a nondescript vinaigrette, and that was it. Total volume of this presumably entree salad - perhaps 1 1/4 C salad. Our [generous] estimate of the cost of ingredients: $2.00. We figured each small can of tuna accounted for about six to eight of these salads.

Contrary to other reviewers, we found the service exemplary. Our waiter was very attentive, the busboys were wonderful, offering more bread (which was good) and refilling water. We left a big tip.

I would NEVER go back there. We were stunned by the sense that this restaurant operated on the basis that if you ordered a luncheon salad, they thought they could pull off something like this. The only reason Toscanova received two stars is for the excellent service we received. I'd like to award them the Rip-Off Award -- and warn diners to STAY AWAY.

1  Thank NYCbacktoLAhooray

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Recently went to dinner at Toscanova in Century City -- I've been there at least five other times with mixed experiences. I mainly went back because of the gnocchi which is really quite good. But, I have now taken it off my list of restaurants to visit. The service was terrible. We were ignored for the most part. Had to ask for water, ask for everything. It was annoying given that this restaurant is not at all inexpensive. The pasta dishes are at least $18 and up -- when you add a salad or appetizer and a glass of wine - it becomes pretty pricey. I expect more for this. The last straw was when I went into the bathroom which had clearly not been attended to in a long time. There was no toilet paper in one stall and the other was overflowing with trash all over the floor and on the "extra restaurant chairs" that were in the handicap stall.

My kids and I agreed -- this restaurant is "off the list" --

3  Thank Joan K
Reviewed August 2, 2013

The best part of this place is the outstanding service. We had a group of 5 to start, then added 1 more person, then 4 more people, and they were very helpful with our literally expanding table. Spinach Ravoli = yum yum. The staff was always there to make it a wonderful experience and they know their wine very well.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

When I am in the Century City Mall, I almost always go to GulfStream, fantastic restaurant.
Across the way from it and from Rock Sugar is Toscanova. I had never tried it but we went in and sat inside. The decor and ambiance was quite nice. The restaurant seemed very clean.
We had a delightful waitress named Carla from Rome, she was quite fun.
The salads were very good and very big. We then ordered a pasta with truffles and a Risotto. They too were very good but also large portions. We could have shared but we brought the Risotto home and I am sure will enjoy it soon.
It is a nice place. It has a full bar if you want that and a great menu.
We will definitely be doing back and it may well become one of our go to places!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Returned here from overseas, and not a mistake, as excellent service, ambience and food made our evening very special. Probably the stand out best restaurant in the Westfield mall, and one we will continue to return to on visits to LA.