“If you like to hike”

and up
Runyon Canyon Hiking Tour
Ranked #22 of 596 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Owner description: Located off Mulholland Drive in the Hollywood Hills, this park is especially loved by dog-lovers since they can hike with their dogs without a leash.
Reviewed June 8, 2014

If you like to hike this is your place. With a view of the city in the background and several summits that you can get to the top of and take in the view this is a great place. Also the distance and degree of elevation this is not for beginners you have to be able to hike to be able to do the whole thing.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,008)
All reviews
"people watching"
in 20 reviews
"walk up"

Reviewed May 28, 2014

I walked Runyon Canyon a few years back with my nephew who comes here frequently. I thought I was in good shape until I was making my way up. It was worth it though because the view was beautiful. The place is just packed with people as well as dogs. I hope to return on my next visit.

Reviewed May 17, 2014

An exercise place to see and be seen. People bring their dogs too but I can't tell if they really bring them for the run or for an excuse for cute attractive people to talk to them. Seriously though, the hike is substantial and the scenery is nice. The parking is sparse but somehow you always find a space before you want to give up.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

I'm a native Los Angeleno....I'm in my 60's and yes, my city, no, actually, some of the people here deserve the negative press they get. Growing up here in the 50's and 60's I remember how much more nature there was then. Now, we have traffic and way too many transplants.

Fortunately, we have Runyon Canyon. No, it's not perfect, but there are days when it's spectacular. On those days, when it's clear, you can look west and see Santa Barbara Island nearly 60 miles away. You can look east and see the show capped San Gabriel and San Jacinto mountains as much as 100 miles away. To the south you can see Long Beach harbor and southwest LAX. In between all of this you can see the entire L.A. basin and all of its landmarks. To each their own. The views are only part of what Runyon offers.

You can access Runyon canyon from the bottom near Vista street, but parking is difficult as it is a residential area. Best to park a few blocks away and walk or take a cab or bus. I live in the hills, so I access Runyon from the top entrance on Mulholland drive. There is a parking lot that fills up quickly on nice days. You can park on Mulholland, but take care to obey the no parking signs. From the city side, take Outpost up from Franklin and make a left on Mulholland.

There are a few routes to take up and down that can become loops from about 2 1/2 to 3 1/4 miles. If you start at the bottom be ready for a fairly steep climb. It can be very tough if you want. I chuckle a those starting at the top and running down at the thought of the look on their faces as the deal with the steep return.

Bad stuff.....Dogs are not the problem, it's their owners. While the vast majority pick up after their animals, enough don't and that creates quite a stench on warm days. It's disgusting. Rattlesnakes....yup, we've got them, so venture off the trails and roads at your own risk. Water. Bring water. Closing times. Be sure to read the posted hours and be extra careful not to get your car locked in the lot. Drive carefully on Mulholland.

3  Thank powerharp