All reviews rooftop pool lobby restaurant bank vault daniel humm jacques garcia atelier room avocado toast hand written card chateau marmont light switches superior room corner suite rooms are gorgeous stay cation beautiful hotel bottega louie guest experience
Reviewed April 18, 2018 via mobile

Superb renovation of the Bank of Italy Building with many restored old features especially the ceiling in main hall. Reception area dark and dour.
Guest Rooms vary, our room was smaller than on a prior visit, bathtub “ in room “ - new fad- takes up space. Rooms are nicely furnished/decor eclectic; comfy beds. Room not quiet however- more than expected street noise even on 11th floor. Needs triple glazing. Housekeeping was weak- ? turndown on any night as requested. No bottled water provided except in mini-bar. Excellent roof top pool/bar ( though closed at 7pm on week-end?)
Main hall/ restaurant excellent from breakfast on; as was the bar. Oddly mezzanine restaurant could not accommodate our party of 10+ even with advance request weeks prior. 4* for reasons above- needs to change its groove and do justice to the ambience.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed April 16, 2018 via mobile

The Hotel was very high end. Beautifully done. Very nostalgic yet modern. Very Friendly staff to greet you. The coffee bar was very elegant. Service was amazing. Valet parking made it easy to check in and check out. Wish I could have stayed longer to check out all the shopping. Loved the rooftop pool looking over the city. Can't wait to go back.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed April 14, 2018

Decided to spend a night downtown after a full day in Pasadena on a recent college scout trip for our daughter. As a former Angeleno and frequent visitor, I was primed to visit this property given it's wonderful architectural heritage and the work that this owner has done in the past. So pleased to see the many beautiful, historic, and under appreciated buildings in this part of downtown LA get a new life! This property does not dissapoint. The lobby spaces are amazing! So well done, so thoughtfully designed, we could have sat and ate for days. And the food! Just amazing. It's "foodie" food but blended with a good mix of familiars and approachable favorites. The rooms are large and comfortable, interesting decor. Only quibble would be noise, it is downtown after all. There is a construction boom everywhere around the building, so not sure which side or floor would be quietest. We were at the back which I would avoid given proximity to the dumpster and recycle bin for the restaurant and bar. However, the service from valet to front desk to restaurant was wonderful. A true bespoke gem of a hotel with an amazing rooftop pool and lounge, incredible lounges and beautiful restaurant space. All of which erased our memory interrupted sleep with the pleasure of beauty and enjoyment.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Mark R
Management response:Responded April 16, 2018

Thank you for your review. We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I wanted to mention that we are undergoing noise proofing in the rooms to help eliminate any downtown disturbances. We hope to see you back soon and look forward to giving you a warm welcome back.

-Carolyn, Director of Guest Experience

Reviewed April 8, 2018

This review is for The Lobby restaurant at the hotel. We are Angelenos and did not sttay at the hotel.

My husband and I have been to the restaurant at The Nomad in NYC, so when a Los Angeles Nomad opened, we decided to check it out after enjoying a nearby architecture tour run by the Los Angeles Conservancy.

The Lobby restaurant, a casual dining spot, serves weekend brunch and the menu on-line looked varied enough to suit us both. The restaurant was busy when we arrived about 15 minutes ahead of our 1:30 reservations, but we were seated immediately. The space is a beautifully restored bank building. So far, so good! Unfortunately, the rest of the experience was mediocre.

We ordered coffee (husband) and iced coffee (me) almost immediately. It took awhile for this simple order to arrive! So long, in fact, that the server came by to apologize. Then, she seemed to disappear --- long enough for a maitre d' to stop by and take our order instead!

My husband ordered the lemon-blueberry ricotta pancakes, and I ordered the omelet. Again, it took quite awhile for our food to arrive, but they were busy, and it is understood that this is not a diner! However, no coffee refills appeared until we asked. Really - $5 for coffee and $6 for cold brew, and no refills forthcoming? My husband finally had to ask for a refill, and it was obliged. No one offered me a refill of my cold brew (iced coffee folks!)

The food arrived, and my husband's pancakes were lovely - light, flavorful, with additional blueberries and a generous helping of ricotta perched on top. My omelet was average at best and came with a small portion of lightly dressed greens and "griddled toast." The latter was dry and unappetizing. I've had much better omelets at Joan's on Third and
R & D Kitchen.

Undeterred, we ordered a chocolate croissant to split for dessert. So disappointing, I left it to my husband to finish after a single bite. Doughy instead of flaky and ridiculously small for $7.

In addition to the uninspiring food, our server was aloof and unengaged in the effort to make patrons feel welcome.

While the young, hip crowd may return to this new, trendy spot, there are too many excellent restaurants downtown for us to do so.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank LAMarcia2018
Reviewed April 6, 2018

I've stayed at the NoMad in New York a few times and noticed they'd opened in LA. We went for a concert nearby and stayed 5 nights. They'd just opened 2 months before so, there were a few-not unexpected- bumps upon arrival: The doormen seemed aloof, and finding the reception area was a minor challenge at first; a ceiling panel was open in our room; there was a private event at the rooftop pool so we couldn't lounge upon arrival. But, wow! The management addressed all of this instantly. In terms of property, The NoMad has knocked this one out of the park. It's in the restored and appropriately ornate Italianate Bank of Italy building in DTLA. The architectural splendor couples nicely with modern flourishes of plush seating areas, fabulous floral arrangements, and a genuine buzz among hotel guests, and locals there for coffee, lunch meetings, cocktails, or dinner. Speaking of dinner, they have two restaurants both with their own vibrant bars. The Mezzanine and the Lobby restaurant. The Mezzanine is more formal dining. (Try: Buttered Radish appetizer; locally sourced seafood platter; and the famous black truffled roast chicken. Righfully famous!) The Lobby restaurant was less formal, yet still brought together an East coast sensibility to a more relaxed California vibe. (Try: French Fries, black truffle flatbread with Fava bean humus, carrot tartare (YES!), and milk & honey ice cream sandwich with bee pollen.) The place gets kind of packed after work and at dinner time, especially in the craft cocktail bars. The piece-de-resistence for me, however, was the rooftop pool. Upon ascending the short flight of stairs on the roof, you've been teleported to a villa in Lazio, Italy. There is an exquisite long lap pool surrounded by terracotta pots of flowering citruses, olive, and cypress trees overlooked by a large monster sculpture. You can't help but relax up there as there's a full craft cocktail bar and kitchen, and the servers and bartenders are friendly and creative. The one drawback was an apparent lack of a cellphone policy, so a few guests were pacing around on their mobiles.
After the bumps of our first night, the entire hotel staff went out of their way to make us feel like honored guests.

Room tip: Go to relax. Hang out at the rooftop pool deck!
Date of stay: March 2018