“Fun and Educational”

Hollywood Sign and Griffith Park Hiking Tour
Ranked #19 of 612 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Covering more than 4,107 acres of natural terrain, this is the largest municipal park and urban wilderness area in the United States, which offers numerous family attractions and activities.
Reviewed January 14, 2013

A great way to see LA from above and learn about astrology. They'd be better served with an online reservation system for shows playing in the building, and better guidance on parking. (I didn't want to pay to park so I parked down the hill from the observatory and hiked up to it which was fun, but after the show was over and I took all my pictures and hiked back down my car had been ticketed). Just be extra careful where you park and that you know all of LA's fun parking restrictions and good luck...

1  Thank SethInSearch
Write a ReviewReviews (2,848)
All reviews
in 180 reviews
"observatory"
in 643 reviews

Reviewed January 14, 2013

When visiting LA, head up to Griffith Park for great views of the city and Hollywood sign, hiking trails, and the observatory.
Observatory has great planetarium show but arrive at opening to get seats.
Entry to observatory is free but charge for planetarium.
Check opening times carefully, as observatory often opens quite late, e.g. 11am.
Lots of parking but can get full in peak times, leading to parking down road and long walk up, so again get here earlier.
Nice cafe in the observatory for snack/lunch.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

The next time you go to California and you're in the LA area, be sure to go to Griffith Park. We went up to the observatory which is excellent and what a view of the city you get but as soon as I turned around and saw people up on the mountain behind us, I knew I wanted to get up there. The next day we hiked our way up to the top of the mountain. It was a gorgeous day. You could see all the way to the Pacific Ocean. There were folks on horseback. As we made our way back down the mountain, we took a wrong turn, which was very easy to do because we were talking and looking at the amazing view. But we realized before we got too far down. We only had a few hours so we were not able to see any of the other sites in the park. But I will definitely go back the next time I'm there.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

It was fantastic, not too busy a bit of a trek but well worth it for the amazing view - we watched as the city lights became twinkly and then walked around the observatory but headed down before darkness! It was fantastic to have the hollywood sign behind us and the glittering city in front of us, would def recommend even if you are in LA for one day!

See more reviews
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I think it is the largest "City Park" in the country. I know it is an amazing and diverse place.

I mostly go there for dayhikes. I believe there are over 52 miles of trails.

In the park one can find - The LA Zoo, Western Heritage Museum, The Observatory, Pony Rides, A Carousel, Picnic Sites, Bike Paths, Train Town, Views of the Hollywood Sign, Deer, Coyote and many other attractions including what is likely the best concert venue in America; The Greek Theatre!

If you are visiting, this is one of the place to see, especially the Observatory.

If you are a local and never considered it, well you are missing out! You are likely paying outrageous rent in a deteriorating city where it is increasingly difficult to earn a living wage so if LA starts to burn you out, (or you just want something to do or see) consider taking advantage of this treasure. Your tax money pays for maintaining it, btw. So it is YOUR park. ~ Enjoy!