“Bad day?”

Hammer Museum
Ranked #88 of 560 things to do in Los Angeles
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Located in the Westwood Village neighborhood of Los Angeles, the Hammer Museum presents exhibitions of contemporary and historical work in all media of the visual arts plus a full roster of free public programs including film screenings, performances, lectures, readings, and panel discussions on current social issues. Admission to the museum is free.
bguerrero
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Bad day?”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I have to say I was a bit underwhelmed with the museum. Their traditional pieces consisting of Van Gogh, Cezanne and Monet were lovely to see. However currently on display is " Made In LA" exhibit and it was "just ok". I was a bit disappointed with the overall feel of the exhibit. And to make matters worse, one of their "security" guards were unnecessarily rude and sarcastic when we asked a general question about the museum. Maybe I just went on a bad day, but I don't know if I would consider going again.

Visited August 2012

• Korean first
West Hollywood
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“"Made In LA 2012" Is a Must See!”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

The Hammer has its own specific flavor of art, but clearly is moving more into New Media and installations. The "Made in LA 2012" exhibit is amazing and I highly recommend staying and watching the films, particularly "She Gone Rogue" that I think is spectacular.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank DoctorBuckles
Woodland Hills
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Hammer Hits Nail on the Head!”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I have been to the Hammer many times. One of the best art bookstores anywhere! Always good exhibits. This time my family joined me and we ate at he outdoor restaurant for the first time. The restaurant was worth the trip. The best toasted cheese sandwich ever! I had a great Chinese chicken salad, and my granddaughter had a fish taco--with broiled salmon. All fantastic. And there was a large group of unusual interlocking blocks with a sign that anyone could play with them. My 4-year old grandson was occupied for over a half hour--after I convinced him he could actually touch something in a museum. Parking is only $2 for 3 hours.

Visited July 2012
Easton, MD
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Surprisingly wonderful collection”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I dropped in to see the private collection and was stunned by what was in this small gallery - Van Gogh, Monet, Rembrandt, Sargent.

Visited June 2012
Chesterland, Ohio
313 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 503 helpful votes
“Small, But Very Much Worth a Visit”
Reviewed April 29, 2012

The Armand Hammer museum was founded from the art collection of the famous industrialist, but beyond his more traditional collection it mostly houses contemporary art and a series of changing exhibits. It is not a large museum, nor does it contain "blockbuster" artwork, but it more than a worthwhile visit.

The museum straddles Wilshire Blvd. and another street, I believe Linbrook Drive (the name is obscured on my map). You can enter on either street, but Linbrook is by far the more impressive and in keeping with the general modern tenor of the museum.

The museum is on three floors, but most of the art is on the third floor, as is the excellent art book shop. The second floor has a cafe and the Billy Wilder theater.

Incidentally, both Armand Hammer and Billy Wilder are buried in a wonderful little cemetery hidden by high rises about a block and a half from the museum. Marilyn Monroe, Jack Lemmon, Natalie Wood, Bob Crane, and others are there as well.

The permanent Armand Hammer collection is worthwhile. There were two Van Gogh's I had never heard of before, let alone seen, as well as one or two nice paintings from several other great 19th century painters (to my recollection, Monet, Toulouse-Lautrec, Degas, Pissaro, Bernard, Sargent, and others). My favorite was a French bulldog on a table, presumably the artist's pet, by Toulouse-Lautrec, but there are others to enjoy.

They change the contemporary art exhibit. The exhibit I saw was on its last day, so I won't describe it, but I will say that it was well presented. They also had some video of the artist in her studio that was welcome and gave you a good sense of her charming personality as she created her work.

When I was there (late April, 2012), they were not only changing exhibits, but also renovating the courtyard in the center of the museum. I think it will be even nicer when they are done.

In the book shop I saw a postcard of a work I wanted to see. Apparently, it was not then on display (it is an engraving and likely to fade, so I'm fine with that), but they immediately offered me an appointment to come and see it privately if I wished, which I thought was extremely cool. All of the staff, including the guards, were extremely nice during my visit.

The admission is $10 and there is a nice cafe inside. I think it's 60-90 minutes well spent.

Visited April 2012