“Figeroa Hotel - Very Pleasant”
Review of Hotel Figueroa

Hotel Figueroa
Ranked #156 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed October 11, 2009

I just returned from a 6 day stay at the Figeroa. It is a charming middle eastern styled hotel. In short, I enjoyed my stay there. The hotel is an old building with pretty much everything inside old as well. The bathroom fixtures are old, the closet has old style hooks (the kind some of us used to use in elementary school). Regardless, the hotel is still very charming and attractive.

The Fig does not provide the latest and greatest amenities. For instance, the TV has only 15 (or so) channels. I wanted to watch the baseball playoffs but those channels were not available at this hotel. The hotel staff told me that I could purchase wireless internet service (I did not). The room door locks use metal keys as opposed to the electronic cards that are in vogue today. There was no iron/ironing board available in the room.

The room was spotless and maintained that way by the hotel staff.

I found the front desk staff to be pleasant and cooperative.

The hotel is located a short walk from the LA Convention Center, the Nokia Theater, and the Staples Center. There are a number of restaurants in the immediate vicinity of the Staples Center which is about a 5 minute walk from the Fig. The Metro (the subway in LA) is a few minutes walk from the Fig. The subway is clean, safe, and runs frequently.

I did not use the Fig's restaurant as their menu is very limited. A number of people did eat there and I never heard any complaints.

All in all, the Fig was a very pleasant and enjoyable experience for me. If you're willing to do without the finer amenities you will enjoy your stay here.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed September 28, 2009

Just got back from staying in LA for 3 nights with my wife. The website for this hotel makes this place look amazing, but in reality the hotel is very old and the rooms/facilities are very dated. The only positive thing about this place is the character - it has some fun decorations and the theme is fun (Mexican/Moroccan). But it is like they are using a band-aid with their "style", to cover up for the fact the place is so old. Bathrooms are old and small - bad drainage, bad shower head with no pressure. The towels were old and paper thin. Didn't appear that any of the rooms had any sort of a view outside - just looked across the building (15 feet or so) into another room. Customer service at front counter was very poor. No one I encountered was friendly and genuinely happy to help you - almost like we were a chore. No services (business, exercise, concessions, etc)

Would definitely not stay there again. Wasn't horrible, but I would rather be down the block in the Wilshire........

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank stevejp95126
Reviewed July 22, 2009

Small room, dark, dirty, no comfort, poor beds, shabby tiny bathroom, ragged towels. Never again in this hotel..... Website shows nice rooms, haven't seen these!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2009

The charm of this hotel lies in it's ambiance. The moment we walked in the door, we felt like we had been transported to Morocco, and we expected to see Rick and Ilsa at the bar with Sam tickling the ivories. The room was enormous, but the mattress could have used changing; there was a spot in the middle that seemed like the springs had been worn down and we kept rolling into it in the middle of the night. My back was not happy with that part of the trip. The outdoor patio complete with a bar, a pool and a spa were a pleasant surprise, and we even got to see the owner, Uno, feeding the pet iguana in the cactus!

The location was perfect. Right across the street from the new LA Live, the Staples Center and the LA Convention Center. If you get a chance to, check out the Grammy Museum. It houses some interesting memorabilia and fun interactive displays. Since it's on the outskirts of downtown, walking to the Historic Core is a bit of a hike, but well worth it once you get there. Be sure to check out Grand Central Market for some incredibly cheap produce and good Chinese food.

Also, DO NOT MISS The Original Pantry on the corner of 9th and Figueroa. They have no locks on the doors because the diner has never closed since 1924. That in itself was enough to make us go in. This year is their 85th birthday, having never turned the lights off and never locked the door. The home fries that they serve with breakfast are cooked in a cast iron skillet that has been in use AT LEAST since the 1960s. Needless to say, it's a seasoned pan!

Overall, the hotel is a very nice place to stay as a base for your explorations of downtown LA, however if you're looking for the Ritz-Carlton, stay elsewhere. It's very minimal in its amenities. There is no coffee maker or alarm clock in the room, the television is small with only a few stations and the water pressure in the shower could have used adjusting, I almost got blasted out of the room when I turned it on the first morning. But for the price, it was just right and the location cannot be beat!

1  Thank DCTraveler02
Reviewed May 31, 2009

I have stayed in a number of different hotels in the US but never have I come across a place quite like the Figueroa Hotel in downtown Los Angeles. The hotel's website is informative and shows you exactly what you will get - a cool hotel in downtown LA with an atmosphere way past the ordinary and staff who are helpful and makes you feel very welcome.

If you, like me, are tired of the usual hotelrooms which will look the same way wherever you are in the world this is the place for you. Walking distance from the LA Convention Centre as well as the Staples Centre. The rooms are unique and comfy without being showy or luxurious in any way. The Figueroa won't get on its hands and knees and beg you to love it. Its café is not showy but it gives you what you need. The hotel breakfast doesn't bring you pink roses and over the top fruitbowls but it provides a home-ish atmosphere to an affordable price. There is wi-fi to be found at a good price, food shops just around the corner and great restaurants within a minute's walking distance.

If you'd like to see something different whether you are on a business trip or just on vacation I would recommend the Figueroa any day of the week. If you're arranging a reception, then even better. The setting of the hotel is appealing to any culture or group of people. Rarely have I enjoyed a hotel stay this much and I know that the next time I go to LA I'll know exactly where to stay! Hey, I'd even settle my travel dates for when my favourite room was available.

2  Thank peanutyoda
Reviewed May 26, 2009

The hotel is definitely overrated. The internet gives the impression of a very stylish hotel with strong arabic-moroccan flair. In reality the rooms are extremely small (at least my one is), it is all far away from being modern (the electricity leaves a lot to be desired in terms of secured wiring), the bathroom is the narrowest I ever saw. And the window (which is completely wired) only looks to a 4-5m narrow inner court.
But everything is clean and ok, painting is nice but far from spectacular. The price is too much if you compare it to Marriotts or others. Amenities are a joke (one small plastic tube of shower gel and a small soap bar is all you get; no hair dryer, no shoe shine, no lotion, no nothing). No gym and noone in his right mind would jog there given the traffic (that would be like smoking two packages of cigarettes in a row).
The food in the lobby bar is not worth the money. Chicken burned, burger rather tasteless, the breakfast is very low level (dry buns, no bagels, everything charged extra, no fresh fruit...)
However, whereas other stated it was noisy I cannot confirm that. At least in may 2009, there is no construction side nearby.
All in all, much overrated and compared to the price the motel6 in Hollywood is maybe a much better deal, certainly if travelling with more than one person.

1  Thank lord-of-the-trips
Reviewed May 6, 2009

I had been to the bar at the Fig before so I knew already that I loved the atmosphere and decor the hotel has going on. The show Alias used this place as its Morocco.
When we were at the bar, the pool was calling to me. But unlike some other L.A. hotels (like the Standard) it is guests only. So we knew one day we'd do a "staycation" here.

The event was our anniversary. The owner (I presume - he was French and I remembered some reviews here describing him as such) took my booking. Our main thing was we had only one night to spend and we wanted full advantage of the pool but with a usual 3pm check in & 11-noon check out it didn't really leave us much daytime as official guests.
Well the owner offered unsolicited to give us an early check in (noon), late check out (2pm) AND let us use the pool the whole next day. Sold! Very very nice of him.
He asked if we'd like a "dark" room. I said to book us in whatever would be romantic. He gave us the "Prince" room (#125). It was the base rate, around $150 + tax and + parking.

I cannot even describe how much I loved it. Purple, BIG, 2 closets, gorgeous furniture, canopy bed, beautiful bathroom.
Some people have talked about dingy rooms. Well I can tell you the bathroom was entirely spotless - it looked like everything was just caulked and grouted that day. There was a cool farm sink too - separate hot and cold taps but I'm down with old funky things like that.

There were 2 downsides to my long-awaited pool experience.
1. no lounge chairs. Just metal cafe ones. I get that they have a big bar scene at night and need space for people but it was a downer not to stretch out.
2. the pool & spa close at 8pm. Again this is probably for bar biz. But we wanted to use the hot tub at night! wah wah wah
Oh and one more, the water was pretty frigid. Not heated. But it was still gorgeous and the spa made up for it.

It was also a little hard to get ice. I assume this is b/c they try the whole "no outside food" thing. But I smuggled stuff in. We also spent $70 or so at the bar & restaurant so I feel no guilt over this.

The mojitos at the bar are stellar. We tried both the burger & the tomato pasta from the restaurant and both were satisfying, especially the pasta. Not grade A but the Original Pantry next door (supposedly a city favorite) turned us way off and this was a much better alternative. Plus we got to eat by the pool with a cold beer.

I'd stay here again in a heartbeat, and I'd want that room.

If you are into exotic, and a little funky come here.
If you are into Sheraton watercolor-decorated rooms with a in-room coffee, don't come here.
If you need room service don't come here.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple