“Fun, Cool and Hip”

Ranked #146 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
oakland california
“Fun, Cool and Hip”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is an offbeat place on a Moorish theme, run by Indians (I think) in downtown LA. It's fun and atmospheric, but not for the luxury traveler. Fun pool area, rooms are good with nice linens, and quiet. Breakfast is excellent and inexpensive. The staff is very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank julesdaniel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I loved it. CHARMING! ELEGANT! OLD! Beautifully redone, very creatively! We live in L.A and wanted a weekend away, but didnt want to leave town. Pool bar is to DIE for. ITs called Ricsk place. It's old and small and the wait staff dresses in traditional uniforms, i felt as if i was not only in a a far away land, but also in a different time.. This historic place is NOT FOR RICH SPOILED STUPID TOURISTS who think the most important things are hair dryers and huge beige bathrooms... there is nothing about this place that would appeal to the boring typical American.. but to me it was an oasis right here in L.A. - we will return! The rooms are small - ask for a Moroccan room... I found the bed comfee - that being said, Air Conditioning worked great, but was loud, the NOKIA mall was loud til about 12PM even ona sunday, bring earplugs (they do a lot of stuff with microphones & its next to Staples center so you might hear cheering or music) so i was glad i brought earplugs.
Personally, i liked the staff, I dont get the comments about them being rude at all, they were lovely, went out of their way ..we did encounter the normal Los Angeles "Spanish English" barrier tho, maybe that's it?
ANYWAY! its Funky hip and cool - and other worldly - so if you're that kind of person, go enjoy! if not. you aren't people i can relate to, and if you want to feel like a big shot and have really expensive rooms with beige everything, and ugly art, go to a Marriot!

Room Tip: ":GET A MOROCCAN ROOM bring earplugs"
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I absolutely love this hotel. From the moment you walk in, past the pool and into the lobby, it's like a Moroccan oasis in downtown Los Angeles. The parking was very convenient, the man at the front desk who checked us in was very polite and helpful, and our room was perfection. Really this place is magical. I love the room, a canopy bed, cowhide rug, lovely tile in the bathroom, big old leather chairs, cool magazines (blackbook!), a fridge and an a.c., what else could I want. If you're looking for the corporate hotel experience, please do us all a favor and stay at the Marriott. Let us enjoy the Figueroa and have it all to ourselves.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank ShebaRachel
Fontana, California
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Okay, people, the Figueroa Hotel is in a 1930's buidling that used to be a YMCA in a former life? So you need to be forgiving that it has window air conditioners, older plumbing, and a smaller layout. If you want a hotel that has coffee service, central air, a clock radio, etc, you can pay about $70 - $150 and more per night for the other hotels in the area. All those things add up and the owner is just trying to make his hotel affordable for travelers on a budget. I like that the small refrigerator was included with the room, whereas other hotels might charge $25 a day to have a refrigerator in your room.

The water pressure was really strong in the shower. Water drained well in the bathtub one night, a little slow the 2nd night, but I thought, that the building was old with old plumbing, so it wasn't too big a deal. The lighting could be a little brighter for applying make-up, but I managed and looked presentable both days. The room air conditioners are naturally loud, but at least they are there and my room was kept cool at all times. Wires in the windows is the type of windows they had for the period. They kept the hot air out and the cool air in.

Our room had a lamp between the beds, another one on the table that had 2 bulbs where if you turned the knob 1 light came on, then turned it again and the second bulb came on, so you could have 1 bulb or 2 bulbs on. Maybe the 2 lamps should be switched places. The lamp on the table with the mirror should probably have a brighter light bulb for make-up application. The bathroom recessed bulb could be brighter for make-up, or maybe it was the nice light orange paint on the walls that caused the light to be not bright enough. There was also an overhead lantern with a paper shade and another fluorescent bulb in a little alcove area in the room. It was good enough to read my book in the bed

We had carpeting in our room and it was clean. The beds were comfy. Glass cups to brush your teeth, conditioning shampoo, and great smelling Citrus Lemon soaps were all inside the mirrored cabinet in the bathroom. There is only a pedestal sink there, so put your make-up and stuff on on of the tables in your room. There is an electrical outlet in the bathroom next to the mirrored cabinet for the blowdryer that is provided or your curling brush or curling iron.

There is a restaurant, but it was closed on the evening I planned to dine there. Next year will make it a point to try it out. They serve breakfast and dinner. I appreciated the long, covered corridor running from the parking lot shading me and running alongside the pool, jacuzzi, and bar area leading into the hotel's interior. The area did not seem unsafe to me at all and I was a mom traveling with my young daughter. There were plenty of people walking about on Figueroa from all the activities and restaurants available in the area. The hotel is 1/2 a block from the famous Original Pantry Cafe! $12.00 per day charge for parking, which was for a space in a small gated lot and also the lot next to the car wash on the left, which are both behind the hotel across an alley on Cottage Place.

The front office staff was polite and efficient. I met Mr. Bertuno and he was really funny! The hotel itself was beautiful architecturally and decorated. Beautiful sequined curtains and painted doors on the elevators and inside the mirrored elevators. This hotel is a gem and affordable and the owner is trying to keep it that way. People who want a modern, contemporary hotel can choose from a variety in the area, but I really think it is unfair to criticize this hotel and compare it to more modern ones when it clearly has its own character~~

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Denetta M
La Habra
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel is old and run down. It is in a great location and more affordable than the Marriott across the street, which is why we chose this hotel. I wish we would have shelled out the money for the Marriott instead. The hotel is very creepy with all of the hallways being very dim and almost no one staying in any of the rooms. We definitely will not stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Diana S

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Los Angeles, California

tourist class hotel

several days ago i wrote a review, uno answered in his
very own way and i start to brood over what he said and
started a little investigation.

it is not easy to write a review about the fig...

it's all about the perspectiv. if you just look at the
hotel like a normal tourist does, you can easily get trapped
in the thought that this hotel doesn't provide the comfort and "class"
you are expecting/you are familiar with, from other brands ( chain hotels ).

but is this a BAD thing at all ? Uno doesn't hide ANYTHING. if you
try to find out more about the hotel and the owner you will easily find
informations which will absolutly change your point of view.

Uno says its a tourist class hotel; they dont renovate - they fix with a little
paint here - a little something there and they add unique stuff to the unique fig.

if you dig a little bit deeper all of a sudden you realise that the bigger chains
brainwash the tourist customers in a way, that they realy belive they need 20 room
services a day; that they realy need the 20star fridge; the 50m LCD screen;
24/7 room service with a tripple language personal service guy - just for YOU.

it is a tourist hotel, it is not cheap in a way of "chabby" it's more like
a hotel, where you dont have to pay for silly crap; where the owner absolutly cares about
his hotel because of the fact it is HIS hotel. No Chain, No super duper quality management
or wallstreet guys dictate something.

don't get me wrong, he is not a saint or something and living in west hollywood is not
the cheapest way of living...and hey, which hotel owner has his own internet meme ?

i would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank M4uri
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Before you read my review, look at others (good & bad) and just see how rude and arrogant the owner of the hotel is in his reply to customers... And I haven't even met him/her!!!

Before I start, we phoned the hotel in May before we travelled to the states to ask about parking and to see if there were any hidden costs, as we booked through a third party website, and it didnt mention additional costs... we were told it was free for hotel guests to park!!!!

On arrival, the staff never mentioned anything about parking costs!!! As we checked out, we were rudely told that we owed $60 for parking in the "hotel" car park.... (Car park used by every man and their dog without paying) Total rubbish!!! Bertuno, before you start your rude and sarcastic reply, we saw the sign at the car park but didn't think
anything of it as we were told there was no charge and no mention made of it when we checked in!!! Before you blame your customer, I would train your staff to be customer friendly and efficient, so that the CUSTOMER knows what their costs are before they leave.

Now to the hotel, yes it has an absolutely stunning interior in the lobby, and the bar and pool are as good as I've seen!! We were given a room on the 11th floor and it was tiny and dark... And to be fair to the manager at the time gave me the option to move to a bigger room when I complained cause I felt clostaphobic... However the room I moved to, although was bigger, wasn't very good!!!! Like others mentioned, there is absolutely no amenities, no clock, no kettle, no plug for the bath so I could have a soak!!! The bed we had in room 305 sank in the middle, which meant me and my partner ended up rolling into the middle of the bed in the night!!!

To sum this place up, lovely lobby and pool, rooms small but clean, no amenities what so ever, extremely rude staff, by the sounds of it the owner is rude, the aircon unit is loud, breakfast is the worst I've tasted and over priced hence why I ate there once and not again, did I mention the staff were rude????!!!!!

If you value good quality service, friendly staff and a decent hotel, go to a Best Western, because lets face it, if you spend your hard earned money on staying in a hotel, you don't want to be scowled at by the the staff and you don't want to pay to stay in a room the size of a box!!

Bertuno, remember the customer is right even when they are wrong, it's basic customer service!!!! I can now see why you have so many poor reviews, and I hope you address the issue cause to be honest the hotel had potential and could have better reviews if listen to the reviews!!!

• Stayed June 2013