“Rude”

Ranked #145 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
“Rude”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Before you read my review, look at others (good & bad) and just see how rude and arrogant the owner of the hotel is in his reply to customers... And I haven't even met him/her!!!

Before I start, we phoned the hotel in May before we travelled to the states to ask about parking and to see if there were any hidden costs, as we booked through a third party website, and it didnt mention additional costs... we were told it was free for hotel guests to park!!!!

On arrival, the staff never mentioned anything about parking costs!!! As we checked out, we were rudely told that we owed $60 for parking in the "hotel" car park.... (Car park used by every man and their dog without paying) Total rubbish!!! Bertuno, before you start your rude and sarcastic reply, we saw the sign at the car park but didn't think
anything of it as we were told there was no charge and no mention made of it when we checked in!!! Before you blame your customer, I would train your staff to be customer friendly and efficient, so that the CUSTOMER knows what their costs are before they leave.

Now to the hotel, yes it has an absolutely stunning interior in the lobby, and the bar and pool are as good as I've seen!! We were given a room on the 11th floor and it was tiny and dark... And to be fair to the manager at the time gave me the option to move to a bigger room when I complained cause I felt clostaphobic... However the room I moved to, although was bigger, wasn't very good!!!! Like others mentioned, there is absolutely no amenities, no clock, no kettle, no plug for the bath so I could have a soak!!! The bed we had in room 305 sank in the middle, which meant me and my partner ended up rolling into the middle of the bed in the night!!!

To sum this place up, lovely lobby and pool, rooms small but clean, no amenities what so ever, extremely rude staff, by the sounds of it the owner is rude, the aircon unit is loud, breakfast is the worst I've tasted and over priced hence why I ate there once and not again, did I mention the staff were rude????!!!!!

If you value good quality service, friendly staff and a decent hotel, go to a Best Western, because lets face it, if you spend your hard earned money on staying in a hotel, you don't want to be scowled at by the the staff and you don't want to pay to stay in a room the size of a box!!

Bertuno, remember the customer is right even when they are wrong, it's basic customer service!!!! I can now see why you have so many poor reviews, and I hope you address the issue cause to be honest the hotel had potential and could have better reviews if listen to the reviews!!!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Benjimal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Gig Harbor, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Before staying here, we researched it and knew what to expect. Cheap by LA standards. In the best location for LA events and downtown sight seeing. OK its a 1930's building. Cement floors in our room, bring your slippers. Small bathroom. We had a window AC and it worked fine. It was clean enough and the maid service was fine. The pool area is great. An escape to a gone by time of history. In fact the pool side bar is a ot spot for locals Friday and Saturday nights.
Think of a 60's hippie retreat and you got it.

Room Tip: If you can go for a suite or large room, It's better. Spend time by the pool. Eat out. The are...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travel4Joe
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Not too bad I thought. I don't like the word " cheap" I think we are realistically priced for what we offer. " Hippi retreat"...again wrong..we have a lot of style, wonderful art work, paintings, fantastic wild cactuses and lots of succulents...and a great big pool and big jacuzzi next to it..this is California, pool in my opinion is a must..parking $12...so enjoy us while you can,,who knows..tomorrow we might be a parking lot
By the way this previous review about gays and front desk attitude.is so stupid and not deserving of an answer ...kettle in the room to prepare your little tea..give me a break.
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Don't stay here! Simple! Its cheap but that's it! No kettle..iron.. Hairdryer.. No air con.. Noise was obscene even from 10 floors up.. Got the impression being a gay couple was a big problem! Hated every minute couldn't wait to leave!! Don't be fooled by the pictures either the opulence ends at reception!

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank Lisa B
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Wow.

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

I really liked this hotel. I was staying with a friend and we are both in our mid 20's. We loved that this was like a destination or attraction in itself. I love that there was so much care and thought put into each and every corner - it feels like you have stepped into a different land. With that in mind, it is not a cookie-cutter hotel like you would find in a chain hotel. But it has a lot more character than what those chains have to offer. It really is intended for a more bohemian, exotic experience.

It was really nice that they have a parking lot behind the hotel, as parking would be difficult to find otherwise. We had no problem finding a spot. I loved that the theme of the hotel carried all the way from the parking lot through the corridor to the lobby. Everywhere you look there is some detail that makes you feel like you have entered an entirely different place. The light fixtures throughout the hotel were probably my favorite part.

The hosts at the checkin were very kind and helpful. The elevators were beautifully painted and the real key (not a card) added to the charm of the place. The dim lighting in the hallway made me a bit nervous at first, but I eventually realized that it went along with the ambiance. We loved the room. The pillows were great and the beds were soft and clean. The bright colors of the room are not your normal hotel colors - they are warm and fun and full of personality. We were a number of floors up so we didn't hear a bit of noise from the street, nor did we hear any sounds from any neighbors. I'm a very light sleeper, but I had no problem sleeping through the night with the air conditioning on. The room feels a bit tight if you have a lot of big luggage, but there is a large closet in each room to help get things out of the way. Everything was very clean and enjoyable.

The pool and lounge area was gorgeous. I fully understand why I've read that some people in the city consider it an oasis. The hotel is also located in a central spot for the downtown area. We walked right across the street to have dinner without any problem.

I think this hotel is best suited for those who are looking for an experience, not just a place to race in and out of. It's a hotel meant for you to slow down and soak in the unique details around you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank WanderingAlongMyWay
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you very very very much. So kind of you to take time out to write. I wish we had met and I would have showed you around. Looking at your pictures you were not even in one of our better rooms.
In my young days I was affiliated with big hotels..somehow they were all the same..meeting rooms had to be used for dinners and weddings,,a fortune had to be spent on decorations,,here at the Fig we have no meeting riooms,,all rooms are meant for events,,no money needed for decor..actually we don't allow it,,accept us as we are or go to the Luxe across the street which has become a great hotel from what I read..personally I have never seen it.
Fiddling around,,sometimes it works sometimes it does not...look under special venues..
Thank you once again.
Kingston, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I love this hotel....Yes it's a revamped YMCA,but creatively appointed and clean rooms,great snack bar and awesome bar/pool area make this a sleeper hit in LA...Mr Uno is a gracious and caring host..Highly recommend.

Room Tip: The Pantry restaurant ...an LA landmark down the street!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you very much. I wish people would look at our Website and read cooments on Trip Advisor before they book. At every turn, including when Elyse and I take reservations, we state exactly what we are.Selfeffacing and modest at every turn. No hype.It would be nice to have central a/c but it would cost a fortune. The good part with individual units is that if something goes wrong only one room is affected and it takes us 10 minutes to replace. Furthermore our windows open, It is wonderful to feel the breeze from the ocean. For the record we will never have alarm clocks or coffee makers. Each room however has a refrigerator at no cost
The cement floors and cowhides are here to stay.Always loved cows.
Occupancy high..life is great.
Nebraska
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

No alarm clock in room, no iron, no coffee pot, concrete floor with a animal hide for a rug. Single pane glass in windows, sounded like birds were chirping in the room. Painted very dark colors limited lighting. Was there for a convention. Wonderful location to Los Angeles Convention Center, could be very quaint but definitely needs updated and a good cleaning.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank sandhill09
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
All correct. Except our rooms are very very clean. Then again why endure a stay. If you don't like our hotel come on down and check out. There would be no charge.
We are what we are and won't change.
Nuuk, Greenland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Beautiful interior, close to Nokia Theater etc.
Old hotel, but they made it charming and the bar by the pool is very charming. Very serene when I was there. Perfect for a romantic evening (wich I had)!
Biggest letdown is the 5$/24 hours of internet. It works fine once ur on, but if you need 3 devices on, the bill ads up. This should be free.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Ivalu R
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you. Nice comments. I actually thought the $5 fee for WIFI is considered cheap. You hook up directly with ATT. Very fast and all ovder the hiotel.