“AMAZING HOTEL!”

Ranked #146 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
Huntington Beach, California
“AMAZING HOTEL!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

I live in Newport, only about an hour drive without traffic to LA. However, when I go to LA for a show or an event, I like to stay there to make sure that I don't get stuck in LA traffic going home; and instead, can enjoy myself and have a drink or two. I have passed this hotel many times staying at the larger, commercial hotels. I was in LA last minute and needed a place to stay. I did not want to spend $$$ to stay at the larger hotels, but also did not want to stay with the crack dealers. I remembered the Fig from passing it many times on prior stays. They had a room which was extremely affordable compared to the neighboring places. Staying there reminded me of staying in Europe, or a place more exotic than LA. The décor is very cool. I loved sitting at the bar! Just steps to LA Live. Staff were all helpful and friendly, and even the other guests were cool! This will most definitely be my place to stay from now for any going-ons at Staples or Nokia! I am hesitant to leave this review because this place is always booked, and don't want any more competition when it comes to getting a room :-) I don't know if there is a fitness center or room service, because I did not try to use either one. Have to leave five stars because you cannot leave the information blank and do not want to rate something "terrible" if I didn't use or try it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Considering that our facade looks like a third world country it was nice that you decided to stay
It is frankly not that important to me as to whether we run 100 % or not so I always have some rooms in my " back pocket"....like my favorite Casa Vogue on the roof.A funny thing happened during a sold out Adobe convention last week. A dove had nested in one of our wall a/c units..we could hear the babies talking so we left that room out of order for 9 nights..cost about $1300.....such sweet little things...money is not everything.
Thank you again for your nice comments...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful pool and lobby upon entering, but it went downhill fast. Parking was a tremendous challenge. We barely got into the last spot available...and it left our vehicle vulnerable to getting smacked. The room did not have enough light or space and there was no ironing board. The AC was packed with lint and dust. It really needs to be replaced, especially for those with bad allergies to dust. A dead bolt would also make a guest feel more safe!! I was so uncomfortable here, I left. The staff were very friendly and I am sure the hotel was amazing back in the day, but it's not for me.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank HopeFaithJoy
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Clearly can't please everybody. I don't know what room you were assigned. Might have been small. For the record parking is $12..regular sized space for every car..airconditioners are cleaned and checked every 14 days..correct we do not have irons in our rooms but brought up upon request within 5 minutes. Actually have very few requests for irons and ironing boards.
Sorry you did not like us.

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

atlanta, ga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I wasn't sure about staying here, but my wife was adamant that we were staying there. I'm glad she was because the hotel was wonderful. The decor when you walk in makes you feel like you've entered another country. The room was older, but with a decor that was great. The employees of the hotel were very friendly and helpful. Also, when was the last time you had a real key to your room (just leave it at the desk when you go out). The bar and swimming pool area were the best part of the hotel. Having a drink or just reading takes you out of LA and the city and places you in an oasis in the middle of skyscrapers. Breakfast in the morning was very good and very inexpensive for being in the middle of the city. You are steps away from the Staple Center , LA Live and the convention center. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank aquaman2
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
It is a woman's world these days and in this instance I am glad you listened. Our last expense were cowhides and plantation shutters...close to perfection now so we don't need to spend any more money...therefore we can leave the rates the way they are. Actually my favorite room is very small with a double bed and good bathroom..that goes for $124..one person only however.also recently we created a room called Casa Vogue on the roof..again very small but romantic..price $134..have a Roy Orbison DVD in that room..positively great..got a big flat screen TV up there with a surround sound..the inspiration came from two Italian designers who transformed a villa in Marrakech and named it Casa Vogue..not many original ideas but I copy well...thank you again..
Buellton, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

The Fig is not a cookie cutter hotel... But it is a fun, funky, affordable place in downtown LA. Location is an easy walk to Staples Center and LA Live. Staff is friendly, decor is fun, place is clean, beds are comfortable. Were told at check in we had "modest" rooms, and were pleasantly surprised at the size, they were not as small as we expected. We were on the Figueroa St. side and the noise wasn't as bad as we expected either, and we are from a small rural town. Went with 2 other couples (inlaws) to see the Stones concert. Decided to stay for a Kings playoff game and they made it easy to extend all three of our rooms for another night. Had a fun fantastic weekend. Had fun at the pool bar after the show and the game. Be aware, bar does not open until 4pm... So if you must drink before that, you will need to walk across the street to LA Live. Also, the parking lot is a bit hard to find... You have to look hard for the signs!

• Stayed May 2013
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
I wish there were a mature concert every night at the Staples center or Nokia Theatre.So many who attended the the Stones concert stayed with us and what a pleasure it was for us. Wonderful people, polite and happy and appreciative of what we have created here.
Thank you for your gracious comments, The Stones are back this Monday...
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

Loved staying here. Perfect antidote to franchise hotel blandness. Great value. Conveniently located near lots of restaurants, a supermarket, and LA Live, if that's your thing. About 2-3 miles from Disney Cocert Hall, Alvera St, Spring Street. Lots to do nearby. I travel to LA often for work and will stay here again. My room was delightful. The city traffic sounds that came through the old, single pane windows didn't keep me awake. If you think that will bother you bring some earplugs. I highly recommend the Figueroa.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Terrific, People are so nice lately. Not sure what is happening. Noise...yes it is inevitable with our fabulous location. I read where even the Luxe across the street gets negative comments and that is after a $15 mill face lift. It has however become a very nice hotel different from us but better.
What if we provided complimentary ear plugs upon request? Could also be helpful if one is traveling with a nagging partner..
Stamford, Ct.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

I has misgiving when I read the reviews at Trip Advisor. They were either ok or not great. I loved it. The lobby is really funky and so is the room. The air condition and tv are old but they work. The room and bathroom are very clean.
The location is great. Across from the Staple Center and 5 blocks from the Metro. There is also a stop of the On/Off tour bus 2 blocks away. There are many restaurants in the neighborhood.
The staff is very helpful with directions and help in general

• Stayed April 2013
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
All correct. I think we offer the best value in the city. Interesting decor, best location in the city, parking at $12, nicest pool and garden in town. as for the manager..hands on..
Thank you very much.
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

The decor is exquisite and has a real ambiance. Unfortunately the food is terrible. i was expecting something at least edible and tasty. The menu is a sum total of 4 dishes that are tasteless and oily. What a pity

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Revolting food.,,,Our lobby cafe is for the convenience of our guests only. Nothing special .About 20 restaurants within a 5 minute walk that are much better. In our private dining room we serve an average of 300 dinners per week. As for weddings about 50 per year. Then receptions ranging in size from 50 to 800.
In an E- Mail you stated you had Angel Hair. Don't see where an experienced cook can mess up that badly...anyway I apologize. Please provide adress and I will gladly refund the money.