New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hotel Figueroa

Hotel Figueroa
Ranked #138 of 347 Hotels in Los Angeles
San Diego, California
“Moroccan Getaway in Downtown LA!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Figueroa Hotel this past Saturday night. We are native Angelenos who have lived in the suberbs of Alta Loma for over 30 years. We decided to take in a LA Kings hockey game and check out LA Live and be tourists in our own city. My sister-in-law and her husband recommended the Figueroa. It's very old and not flashy like it's neighbors (JW Marriott and Ritz-Carlton to name a couple) but it has character and is a fraction of the cost. You cannot beat the location. It's across the street from Staples, LA Live, and within walking distance to many superb restaurants. When you step into the hotel lobby you are instantly transported to Morocco . The lobby is a bit dark for my tastes but I understand that it contributes to the Moroccan ambiance. The decor is eclectic, colorful, and very authentic-looking. Our room was large, clean, and beautifully decorated in the same North African style. We will definitely return to the Figueroa Hotel as we have much more to explore in downtown LA!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Nice comments to wake up to.Hope you also enjoyed the stilt walkers, hula hoopers, snake charmers, belly dancers and roving musicians.
I like when locals come downtown to stay with us. Our part of town has certainly been transformed.
Next time look me up and complimentary Prosecco will be served with my compliments at pool side.
See you soon hopefully

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This older hotel was convenient to staples center/LA LIVE. Room was very Moroccan inspired. Bed was very comfortable. Bathroom very small but clean and the shower had good water pressure. (was in a 3rd floor room) TV only had 13 cable stations but wasn't a deal breaker. Decent price for the convenience to Staples. Parking outdoor and across alley, but reasonably priced compared to Marriott/Ritz. Only inconvenience is can't book directly online.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
This is my lucky day. Two positive reviews the same day.
Good value is what we attempt to provide and most of the time we succeed.Parking at $12 is a steal for downtown.
Every room has a TV..sits in an armoir so we can't have a flat screen. No pay TV. I think 13 channels are enough, No Tv in the bar or anywhere else, Seems to me wherever you go is a TV..or somebody staring at their I- Phone oblivious to everything else..booking is a bit cumbersome but I don't think I could learn a new system..I don't like Expedia or the others..I do like people however and take reservations personally..actually I like the Priceline commercials.William Shatner at 82 is terrific....
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

A Moroccan fantasy, with lots of authentic 1920s touches, from the tiles to the furniture to the lights. Colorfully painted hallways. My room had a Botero-inspired mural. Bed was good and bathroom had been updated. Congenial staff. Great location half a block from Staple Center; Ritz Carlton and J W Marriott are nearby. At first I was a bit put off by the dim lighting and the dark passage from the parking lot to the hotel, but then I relaxed into the period charm. But you have to have a taste for old hotels. I'd book a room on a lower floor; the original fire escape is very narrow, should you ever have to use it.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back have less street noise (a consideration since windows have single-pane glass) but...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
All accurate and I thank you. We have a certain style here and it is not for everybody. Then again since we have such a high occupancy it is for most.
Thank you very much.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We came here from San Diego to go sightseeing. One of the reasons we picked this hotel was the pictures of the pool and Jacuzzi at night. We checked in at 7:30 and like all the pool & jacuzzi hours are 7 AM to 7 PM. After a day of walking around Los Angeles we really wanted to go in the Jacuzzi. Who closes their pool at 7 PM, It wasn't even dark yet! So far we really like everything else about the hotel but very disappointed with their pool & jacuzzi hours. Normal people enjoy going in the Jacuzzi at nighttime.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Smokinhotmaria
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
First of all I don't like the word suck. You should remove that from your vocabulary. The pool and jacuzzi are part of the Veranda bar and pool and after 8 PM we don't want our guests to mix alcohol and a real hot jacuzzi. Basically an insurance issue.
Take pleasure in the fact that we do indeed have the nicest pool and jacuzzi set in a most amazing garden..Latest addition..some humongous staghorn ferns..
.....and all this at $148 per night for you with an early check in and $12 to park...
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I loved this place. But don't go there if you want plush towels and a flat screen TV. You can get that next door at the Ritz Carlton but I paid around 1200 for a 7 day stay and the Ritz price is 2000 for one night. Give me thinner towels anyday. My room was spacious and very clean. The front desk staff was very helpful. No room service or fitness center but a great outdoor pool and sauna.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Micheal F
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you. Great value is what we are all about...from rooms to parking...it is difficult to get good towels these days. They come from India it seems...the manufacturers in the US closed down.
Thank you again. Nice of you to take time out to write.
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I was in LA for a conference and Figueroa Hotel was one of the conference hotels. When I read about the hotel (on TA) and visited their website I thought it was the type of place I would enjoy, an old-school, character hotel.

As I entered the property from the carpark (which by the way is tucked behind the "Downtown car wash" on Olympic St.) I felt like I was entering someone's hacienda. Terra cotta tiles, adobe walls, and just the feel of a small, Hispanic hotel.

My room was fronting on Figueroa St. and was decent-sized with plenty of room around the king-size bed. The decor was distinctive and carried on the theme from the lobby, but the character of an old-hotel was also obvious. The bathroom was small, but functional, although the towels could be a bit thicker. Internet wasn't included, but is only $5 per day.

This is not a chain hotel, which I like, and the room had a refrigerator but no coffee. There is a cafe in the lobby, however and coffee is about $1.50. It also serves an a la carte breakfast buffet with reasonable prices.

The noise from Figueroa kept me awake on the first night, but the last 2 nights I ran the air conditioner on fan-mode and slept well. You can get a room on the carpark side, but they are constructing a new high-rise behind the carpark and start work early in the morning.

The hotel is 1 1/2 blocks from the convention centre, even closer to Staples Centre and LA Live.

All up, I would stay here again as it had the character I was hoping for, was reasonably priced, and convenient for downtown. Parking was only $12 (parking for a game at the Staples Centre is $20).

I saw a couple complaints on TA beforehand, but I see no evidence of anything to complain about.

Room Tip: Rooms on the carpark side may have less street noise, but you'll have early morning construction...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Powel C
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for taking time out to comment. Actually you were in a front room which is not one of our better rooms. Therefore I am doubly pleased by your review. Recently we installed plantation shutters at great expense I might add but they have clearly enhanced these rooms. You face Figueroa street so it can be noisy. Every room has a refrigerator..unlikely that we will ever have a coffee maker...please come back.
Sowerby Bridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Where to start? This place is quite unlike anywhere else I have ever stayed. The sheer scale of the lobby impresses (railway station concourse comes to mind) before one even looks at the (Aztec-inspired?) decorations which surround one everywhere. Reception was friendly. Room large but rather barren. Bathroom good, if old-fashioned. Everything clean, except for some dust under the bed. No view to speak of, though this probably helped to keep noise down to acceptable levels. Aircon noisy so wouldn't like to try to sleep here at a time that it was needed overnight. Main problem for us, however, was the lack of tea/coffee making facilities in the room. Having to get dressed and go down 12 floors to the cafe to get one's morning cuppa is annoying to me and totally unacceptable to my wife. Worse, when my wife 'phoned reception to enquire about this, the girl who answered was decidedly offhand. Breakfast is not included but prices and choice in the cafe in the lobby are both reasonable. Even my wife, who has a number of food intolerances, was able to breakfast without having to delve too deeply into her emergency rations. While talking about the cafe I must make a point of praising Hernando, who seemed to work all hours and was most helpful in toasting her wheat-free bread to accompany the excellent scrambled eggs.

A couple of points about transport. If arriving at the international airport, don't bother with cabs or even shuttles. Get the free airport shuttle to the Metro, then take Green and Blue lines to Pico, about 1/4 mile from the hotel. From Amtrak or Downtown get Red or Purple lines to 7th Street Transit Centre, slightly further away but still eminently walkable. The Blue line from Pico also serves Long Beach, if anyone wants to go and see the Queen Mary.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Being from the United Kingdom I recognize that you need your tea.It is unlikely that we will ever have a coffee maker in our guestrooms. We do have a refrigerator in every room which is more than some of our fancier hotel friends have,
Bear in mind that we are a tourist class hotel attempting to provide decent accomodations at realistic prices. Actually my favorite room ( the 21 line) has a double bed, great bathroom and costs only $124...one person only ..by the way Super Shuttle from the airport costs only $17..public transportation becomes a bit cumbersome.