“An acquired taste -- and I did”
Review of Hotel Figueroa

Hotel Figueroa
Ranked #147 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Cleveland, Ohio
“An acquired taste -- and I did”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

A Moroccan fantasy, with lots of authentic 1920s touches, from the tiles to the furniture to the lights. Colorfully painted hallways. My room had a Botero-inspired mural. Bed was good and bathroom had been updated. Congenial staff. Great location half a block from Staple Center; Ritz Carlton and J W Marriott are nearby. At first I was a bit put off by the dim lighting and the dark passage from the parking lot to the hotel, but then I relaxed into the period charm. But you have to have a taste for old hotels. I'd book a room on a lower floor; the original fire escape is very narrow, should you ever have to use it.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back have less street noise (a consideration since windows have single-pane glass) but...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
All accurate and I thank you. We have a certain style here and it is not for everybody. Then again since we have such a high occupancy it is for most.
Thank you very much.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We came here from San Diego to go sightseeing. One of the reasons we picked this hotel was the pictures of the pool and Jacuzzi at night. We checked in at 7:30 and like all the pool & jacuzzi hours are 7 AM to 7 PM. After a day of walking around Los Angeles we really wanted to go in the Jacuzzi. Who closes their pool at 7 PM, It wasn't even dark yet! So far we really like everything else about the hotel but very disappointed with their pool & jacuzzi hours. Normal people enjoy going in the Jacuzzi at nighttime.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Smokinhotmaria
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
First of all I don't like the word suck. You should remove that from your vocabulary. The pool and jacuzzi are part of the Veranda bar and pool and after 8 PM we don't want our guests to mix alcohol and a real hot jacuzzi. Basically an insurance issue.
Take pleasure in the fact that we do indeed have the nicest pool and jacuzzi set in a most amazing garden..Latest addition..some humongous staghorn ferns..
.....and all this at $148 per night for you with an early check in and $12 to park...
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I loved this place. But don't go there if you want plush towels and a flat screen TV. You can get that next door at the Ritz Carlton but I paid around 1200 for a 7 day stay and the Ritz price is 2000 for one night. Give me thinner towels anyday. My room was spacious and very clean. The front desk staff was very helpful. No room service or fitness center but a great outdoor pool and sauna.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Micheal F
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you. Great value is what we are all about...from rooms to parking...it is difficult to get good towels these days. They come from India it seems...the manufacturers in the US closed down.
Thank you again. Nice of you to take time out to write.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I was in LA for a conference and Figueroa Hotel was one of the conference hotels. When I read about the hotel (on TA) and visited their website I thought it was the type of place I would enjoy, an old-school, character hotel.

As I entered the property from the carpark (which by the way is tucked behind the "Downtown car wash" on Olympic St.) I felt like I was entering someone's hacienda. Terra cotta tiles, adobe walls, and just the feel of a small, Hispanic hotel.

My room was fronting on Figueroa St. and was decent-sized with plenty of room around the king-size bed. The decor was distinctive and carried on the theme from the lobby, but the character of an old-hotel was also obvious. The bathroom was small, but functional, although the towels could be a bit thicker. Internet wasn't included, but is only $5 per day.

This is not a chain hotel, which I like, and the room had a refrigerator but no coffee. There is a cafe in the lobby, however and coffee is about $1.50. It also serves an a la carte breakfast buffet with reasonable prices.

The noise from Figueroa kept me awake on the first night, but the last 2 nights I ran the air conditioner on fan-mode and slept well. You can get a room on the carpark side, but they are constructing a new high-rise behind the carpark and start work early in the morning.

The hotel is 1 1/2 blocks from the convention centre, even closer to Staples Centre and LA Live.

All up, I would stay here again as it had the character I was hoping for, was reasonably priced, and convenient for downtown. Parking was only $12 (parking for a game at the Staples Centre is $20).

I saw a couple complaints on TA beforehand, but I see no evidence of anything to complain about.

Room Tip: Rooms on the carpark side may have less street noise, but you'll have early morning construction...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Powel C
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for taking time out to comment. Actually you were in a front room which is not one of our better rooms. Therefore I am doubly pleased by your review. Recently we installed plantation shutters at great expense I might add but they have clearly enhanced these rooms. You face Figueroa street so it can be noisy. Every room has a refrigerator..unlikely that we will ever have a coffee maker...please come back.
Sowerby Bridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Where to start? This place is quite unlike anywhere else I have ever stayed. The sheer scale of the lobby impresses (railway station concourse comes to mind) before one even looks at the (Aztec-inspired?) decorations which surround one everywhere. Reception was friendly. Room large but rather barren. Bathroom good, if old-fashioned. Everything clean, except for some dust under the bed. No view to speak of, though this probably helped to keep noise down to acceptable levels. Aircon noisy so wouldn't like to try to sleep here at a time that it was needed overnight. Main problem for us, however, was the lack of tea/coffee making facilities in the room. Having to get dressed and go down 12 floors to the cafe to get one's morning cuppa is annoying to me and totally unacceptable to my wife. Worse, when my wife 'phoned reception to enquire about this, the girl who answered was decidedly offhand. Breakfast is not included but prices and choice in the cafe in the lobby are both reasonable. Even my wife, who has a number of food intolerances, was able to breakfast without having to delve too deeply into her emergency rations. While talking about the cafe I must make a point of praising Hernando, who seemed to work all hours and was most helpful in toasting her wheat-free bread to accompany the excellent scrambled eggs.

A couple of points about transport. If arriving at the international airport, don't bother with cabs or even shuttles. Get the free airport shuttle to the Metro, then take Green and Blue lines to Pico, about 1/4 mile from the hotel. From Amtrak or Downtown get Red or Purple lines to 7th Street Transit Centre, slightly further away but still eminently walkable. The Blue line from Pico also serves Long Beach, if anyone wants to go and see the Queen Mary.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Being from the United Kingdom I recognize that you need your tea.It is unlikely that we will ever have a coffee maker in our guestrooms. We do have a refrigerator in every room which is more than some of our fancier hotel friends have,
Bear in mind that we are a tourist class hotel attempting to provide decent accomodations at realistic prices. Actually my favorite room ( the 21 line) has a double bed, great bathroom and costs only $124...one person only ..by the way Super Shuttle from the airport costs only $17..public transportation becomes a bit cumbersome.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I recently stayed here for seven nights on a business trip and was very impressed with what this hotel had to offer. If you are used to staying in Marriott, Hyatt, or Westin hotels this will certainly be a different experience for you. The very exotic Moroccan-style decor found not only in the lobby, bar, and pool areas but also in the sleeping quarters made it a cinch to disconnect from the business day and relax in a uniquely stylist environment. Don’t expect a coffeemaker or alarm clock in your room and the there’s not much of a view from the window. If your idea of the perfect hotel room involves white walls, plush carpet, and flat screen TVs, this is not the place for you. Stone floors, animal hide rugs, burnt sienna walls, gothic chairs, and mysteriously unusual tapestries and ornaments run abound at the Hotel Figueroa.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
This is perfect. Absolutely perfect. This is what we are. I could not have written it better myself.
Based on the pictures you were in a 09 room..... 09, 20, 25, 27 and 33 are pretty much all the same..all of them except the 33 rooms have cement floors with cowhides and are quite large.
Yes the hotel is old but what is wrong with that. Ronald Reagan was old but he did well for the country..Warren Buffett is old but still in the game.
Thank you very very much..
West Coast
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Go here for the Moroccan vibe... and dont expect anything like a 4 Star Hotel.

The rooms could have been more modernized, included more amenities, a nice restaurant (and room service) could all be added and still kept the theme, but maybe not at the same price.

It was clean and the bar, pool and little semi hidden funky places to sit, all add to the experience. You will hear traffic noise in your room during the day, but it is not awful and bringing your own music or turning on the TV eliminates it.

As for the location, it is Downtown L.A. and walking distance to Staples Center, LA Live, Convention Center, etc. Crime is far less downtown than many place in Los Angeles, as there aren't any apartments complexes or other attractions where Gangs or Criminals hang out. The thing to watch out for is the predatory Parking Enforcement as they go about gathering revenue for the dysfunctional city. $12 to park is not ideal but worse is visitor parking at $20. There are a lot of less expensive options for visitors and maybe for guest too. Just be sure you find overnight parking.

I will definitely return to maybe rent out the party room or just to stay the night if a worthy band plays the Staple Center and we want to make more out of the event.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you, All pretty much correct except the parking. We have 200 spaces and charge $12 for a registered guest. The JW across the street is $40 and the Luxe $30.
When we do event parking we charge $20. Personally I think it is a great deal. Were it not for the fact that I would have to spend money on having new signs made I would charge more. That's what you call brilliant money management.
At every turn we state that we are a Tourist class hotel. Nothing more and nothing less. The O hotel is better.