“Mi casa, su casa”

Ranked #148 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Edmonton, Canada
“Mi casa, su casa”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I was in LA for a conference and Figueroa Hotel was one of the conference hotels. When I read about the hotel (on TA) and visited their website I thought it was the type of place I would enjoy, an old-school, character hotel.

As I entered the property from the carpark (which by the way is tucked behind the "Downtown car wash" on Olympic St.) I felt like I was entering someone's hacienda. Terra cotta tiles, adobe walls, and just the feel of a small, Hispanic hotel.

My room was fronting on Figueroa St. and was decent-sized with plenty of room around the king-size bed. The decor was distinctive and carried on the theme from the lobby, but the character of an old-hotel was also obvious. The bathroom was small, but functional, although the towels could be a bit thicker. Internet wasn't included, but is only $5 per day.

This is not a chain hotel, which I like, and the room had a refrigerator but no coffee. There is a cafe in the lobby, however and coffee is about $1.50. It also serves an a la carte breakfast buffet with reasonable prices.

The noise from Figueroa kept me awake on the first night, but the last 2 nights I ran the air conditioner on fan-mode and slept well. You can get a room on the carpark side, but they are constructing a new high-rise behind the carpark and start work early in the morning.

The hotel is 1 1/2 blocks from the convention centre, even closer to Staples Centre and LA Live.

All up, I would stay here again as it had the character I was hoping for, was reasonably priced, and convenient for downtown. Parking was only $12 (parking for a game at the Staples Centre is $20).

I saw a couple complaints on TA beforehand, but I see no evidence of anything to complain about.

Room Tip: Rooms on the carpark side may have less street noise, but you'll have early morning construction...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Powel C
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for taking time out to comment. Actually you were in a front room which is not one of our better rooms. Therefore I am doubly pleased by your review. Recently we installed plantation shutters at great expense I might add but they have clearly enhanced these rooms. You face Figueroa street so it can be noisy. Every room has a refrigerator..unlikely that we will ever have a coffee maker...please come back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Sowerby Bridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Where to start? This place is quite unlike anywhere else I have ever stayed. The sheer scale of the lobby impresses (railway station concourse comes to mind) before one even looks at the (Aztec-inspired?) decorations which surround one everywhere. Reception was friendly. Room large but rather barren. Bathroom good, if old-fashioned. Everything clean, except for some dust under the bed. No view to speak of, though this probably helped to keep noise down to acceptable levels. Aircon noisy so wouldn't like to try to sleep here at a time that it was needed overnight. Main problem for us, however, was the lack of tea/coffee making facilities in the room. Having to get dressed and go down 12 floors to the cafe to get one's morning cuppa is annoying to me and totally unacceptable to my wife. Worse, when my wife 'phoned reception to enquire about this, the girl who answered was decidedly offhand. Breakfast is not included but prices and choice in the cafe in the lobby are both reasonable. Even my wife, who has a number of food intolerances, was able to breakfast without having to delve too deeply into her emergency rations. While talking about the cafe I must make a point of praising Hernando, who seemed to work all hours and was most helpful in toasting her wheat-free bread to accompany the excellent scrambled eggs.

A couple of points about transport. If arriving at the international airport, don't bother with cabs or even shuttles. Get the free airport shuttle to the Metro, then take Green and Blue lines to Pico, about 1/4 mile from the hotel. From Amtrak or Downtown get Red or Purple lines to 7th Street Transit Centre, slightly further away but still eminently walkable. The Blue line from Pico also serves Long Beach, if anyone wants to go and see the Queen Mary.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Being from the United Kingdom I recognize that you need your tea.It is unlikely that we will ever have a coffee maker in our guestrooms. We do have a refrigerator in every room which is more than some of our fancier hotel friends have,
Bear in mind that we are a tourist class hotel attempting to provide decent accomodations at realistic prices. Actually my favorite room ( the 21 line) has a double bed, great bathroom and costs only $124...one person only ..by the way Super Shuttle from the airport costs only $17..public transportation becomes a bit cumbersome.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I recently stayed here for seven nights on a business trip and was very impressed with what this hotel had to offer. If you are used to staying in Marriott, Hyatt, or Westin hotels this will certainly be a different experience for you. The very exotic Moroccan-style decor found not only in the lobby, bar, and pool areas but also in the sleeping quarters made it a cinch to disconnect from the business day and relax in a uniquely stylist environment. Don’t expect a coffeemaker or alarm clock in your room and the there’s not much of a view from the window. If your idea of the perfect hotel room involves white walls, plush carpet, and flat screen TVs, this is not the place for you. Stone floors, animal hide rugs, burnt sienna walls, gothic chairs, and mysteriously unusual tapestries and ornaments run abound at the Hotel Figueroa.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
This is perfect. Absolutely perfect. This is what we are. I could not have written it better myself.
Based on the pictures you were in a 09 room..... 09, 20, 25, 27 and 33 are pretty much all the same..all of them except the 33 rooms have cement floors with cowhides and are quite large.
Yes the hotel is old but what is wrong with that. Ronald Reagan was old but he did well for the country..Warren Buffett is old but still in the game.
Thank you very very much..
West Coast
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Go here for the Moroccan vibe... and dont expect anything like a 4 Star Hotel.

The rooms could have been more modernized, included more amenities, a nice restaurant (and room service) could all be added and still kept the theme, but maybe not at the same price.

It was clean and the bar, pool and little semi hidden funky places to sit, all add to the experience. You will hear traffic noise in your room during the day, but it is not awful and bringing your own music or turning on the TV eliminates it.

As for the location, it is Downtown L.A. and walking distance to Staples Center, LA Live, Convention Center, etc. Crime is far less downtown than many place in Los Angeles, as there aren't any apartments complexes or other attractions where Gangs or Criminals hang out. The thing to watch out for is the predatory Parking Enforcement as they go about gathering revenue for the dysfunctional city. $12 to park is not ideal but worse is visitor parking at $20. There are a lot of less expensive options for visitors and maybe for guest too. Just be sure you find overnight parking.

I will definitely return to maybe rent out the party room or just to stay the night if a worthy band plays the Staple Center and we want to make more out of the event.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you, All pretty much correct except the parking. We have 200 spaces and charge $12 for a registered guest. The JW across the street is $40 and the Luxe $30.
When we do event parking we charge $20. Personally I think it is a great deal. Were it not for the fact that I would have to spend money on having new signs made I would charge more. That's what you call brilliant money management.
At every turn we state that we are a Tourist class hotel. Nothing more and nothing less. The O hotel is better.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Hotel: Lots of personality! Do not stay here if you're expecting a room like the JW Marriott. The rooms are spacious and clean and my room had a mini fridge and a hair dryer. There wasn't an ironing board in the room, but if you need one, they will provide. Because it's an old building, there isn't a lot of electrical plugs, but they will loan you a power strip. I found the staff to be incredibly accommodating and nice. The traveler's photos are an excellent indication of what the Figeuroa looks like.

The only negatives I found - there wasn't a bedside clock so if you book here, bring a little travel clock (which is what I'll be doing the next time I have to work in LA); I was on the 10th floor and it was a bit loud; if you are used to sleeping on feather pillows, bring one.

Neighborhood: extremely convenient to the convention center, Staples Center, LA Live, loads of restaurants, and I felt, a VERY safe area. I went for a lovely run every morning up Figueroa to 2nd Street and explored a few streets in between to Grand. I never felt nervous or uncomfortable during my morning runs. There's a grocery store 3 blocks away if you're trying to save a little money on your meal allowance.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
This is a nice accurate write up and I appreciate it. Frankly I was prepared to stop answering Trip Advisor until I spoke to a nice gentleman from a hotel named the O who said he enjoyed my responses. Can't let him down. By the way O is a real jewel ..one of my favorites.
My disgust stemmed from the previous review. This lady made arrangements on her own with UPS. Somehow UPS never came so of course she blamed the hotel and demanded that the hotel pay the freight, When I said no I became a horrible person. Next of course she writes a terrible review. People can write anything they want and it disgusts me.
I am thinking of turning this hotel into a place for feral cats, They can't be worse than some guests that we in the hotel industry have to put up with.in today's environment. I am old and miss the old days when people had manners.
Boise, Idaho, United States
Reviewed March 1, 2013

The people are useless!! The hotel in NO WAY looks like the photos they show you and it is in a slightly shady part of town. You don’t feel very safe.

I had 2 packages that were supposed to be picked up from the front desk by UPS on the Monday after I checked out. After I was assured this would happen from the front desk I checked out Saturday. When I went to check the progress of my ground shipment on Friday I saw the packages had never been picked up. After talking to UPS they told me the front desk told the UPS driver the packages were not ready for pickup even though they were in the closet right next to the front desk.

When I called the hotel to find out why this would have happened the first person transferred me to the manager who’s name is Uno Thimansson he told me that his people would never tell UPS that the packages were not ready. Then he told me that I was making allegations towards his people. He was hands down the rudest person I have ever spoken to in hotel management. He in no way tried to help the situation even after I told him how many people we had staying in the hotel and how much money we paid to stay in a subpar hotel. All he said was then you should have checked out. When I asked to speak to the owner he said he was the owner. I’m pretty sure this is a lie. WOW!!!

The rooms were clean but trashy. The people are rude and unhelpful. DON’T EVER STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!!

Room Tip: There is NO room service. The people are rude. The rooms are tiny with chicken wire on the window. T...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Emmily P
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
UPS never came to pick up her packages. She blamed the hotel and wanted the hotel to pay for the shipping.When we refused she became nasty. Thus this review.
Why would we want to hold on to her parcels. They just took place in the luggage room. UPS comes all the time and the drivers know the front desk people and they also know the luggage room..This lady probably made a mistake with the order and the hotel is of course to blame.

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed February 25, 2013

love love love love did I say I love this place? Hotel Figueroa is the feast for the eyes with a great staff and superb management. It's not for everyone. It's not a chrome and glass tower but rather a Moroccan style Casbah with a splash of Southwest and occasional Buddha statues...it works and you have to see it for yourself. The location can't be beat in the heart of downtown LA. Stay here. You will fall in love with the entire experience.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank technokitty16
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Nothing I can say about these comments except they fill me with overpowering joy.