“Charming but too much construction noise....”
Review of Hotel Figueroa

Hotel Figueroa
Ranked #154 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I love the hotel but can't ignore the beeping from backing machinery nearby. No fault of The hotel i understand but for business travelers it certainly must be a consideration. It's 2:35 a.m. and I'm awake because even turning on the heater to drown out the noise didn't help. I came here because of the charm and quirky atmosphere but I'm certain to regret my decision when i awaken at 5 am for my 7am business meeting. I'm exhausted because of the constant ringing in my ears. It's like a bad dream. The location is great and my stay leading up to this point has been perfect. The staff is wonderful, great location and cozy atmosphere. There should be a law against this noise when people are trying to sleep. I hate staying in a run of the mill hotel but i have to think these 90 year old windows aren't equipped to dull the roar of construction equipment. They've done a great job with the decor. I would have given 5 stars had it not been for the beep beep beeping noise ringing in my ears. I haven't heard the noise for nearly 5 minutes....I can only hope the workers have taken their lunch break. :(

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank 1tallmom
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

So sorry. The construction of 2 new Marriots 2 blocks away must be the ones creating the noise. They only have pernissiion to start work at 7 AM , It is 6 AM now and I am home but will be on my way to the construction site shortly. Actually must be worse for the JW which is just across the street.
Appreciate your other comments. Decor and staff..thank you very much..I don't think we will ever be a 5 star but I will settle for a good 3.
Hope you liked our new cowhides...we now have them in 50 of our rooms...I think they are great.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

We spent three nights at the Figueroa in October 2012. In a city as big as LA, choosing the right place to stay can seem daunting, but we are glad we chose this hotel. It is right at the heart of downtown, spitting distance to LA Live where there is a great choice of bars and restaurants. For us, it was a good place to base ourselves to explore the city (by car) and was good value too.

The design is quirky and the rooms are comfortable enough if a little tired. Wi-fi is available but not free. Parking was very easy convenient and not too dear.

Overall, definitely recommend it.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2012

Overall a positive review I thought. The " tired" look...Yes perhaps..we have the old TV's, old armoirs, but that is what we are, Just purchased 50 cowhides from Brazil. Exciting..this will add to our age further because based on the size of these hides the cows must have been big and old. Actually a previous review " The Figueroa hotel is a red head in a see of blondes" really captures what we are.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

I first reviewed this hotel in April 2012 and wrote about the key differences between it and our other favorite hotel, The Standard. Here is the link:

I stayed here again in Dec I want to cover a few things I didn't mention before.

Several reviewers have commented on the noise level. The day my husband and I checked in there were 2 sporting events next door at LA live, plus the ice skating rink was open. Our room looked out on busy Figueroa street.

My husband, the light sleeper, did not have any issue falling asleep. Not that it was quiet, but it was just the normal sounds of urban living. Same noise level when I stay at an upscale high rise in Manhattan. This is NOT a resort in Maui, it is in the heart of the city, so some level of city noise is to be expected.

The complaints that some other reviewers about the noise level due to the single pane windows is not accurate. Certainly if you are sensitive to sounds, request a room away from the Figueroa entrance.

Inside the hotel it was VERY quiet, unlike some neighboring hotels where we have stayed which are popular with partygoers, with a lot of noise in the hallways and rooms.

Secondly, more restaurants have opened within walking distance which makes this hotel location even more desirable. I highly recommend the restaurant TOWNE - which located on 9th St.

This hotel, especially the pool area, reminds me of a budget version of the Kimpton chain. It is intimate, eclectic and charming. Not a lot of frills, but given room rates, it is a great value. I wish the lighting was a little brighter, but now that I am over 50, I have that request at a lot of places i visit!

If you love historic architectural details and decorative artifacts from other cultures this place is a true gem. Despite the decor, it kinda reminds me of a pensione I stayed in in Italy. Not modern, yet cozy and comfortable AND clean.

Hotel Figueroa is like a redhead in a sea of blondes.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank uglybettyfan
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

" Hotel Figueroa is like a readhead in a sea of blondes ". How perfect. Absolutely perfect. Never heard a better description. Who said blondes have more fun. I am having so much fun that I can't wait to come to work.Just installed a computer at my home so that I can answer E-Mails at all hours.
The comments in this review are so flattering and I am most grateful. Am thinking about placing cow hides in some of our rooms on top of the cement floors. Meanwhile painting elevator doors.
Truly exotic.
Thank you again and Happy Holidays.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

This hotel was reasonably priced and super-close to the convention center. The decor was an interesting, unique moroccan theme, and the party/gathering space in the basement was fairly awesome for our convention party. Beyond that though, there's not that much good to say. Rooms were small, and only had one or two power outlets (non-grounded!), and no alarm clock. Concrete floor, wonky climate control, no real working internet access, and a somewhat clueless staff when it came to things like accepting packages, or any business service make this a questionable place for a business stay. I won't go so far as to say that it was a "poor" experience though.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2012

Clueless..the staff remembers you because you were so devastatingly handsome but had some difficulty understanding you due to your Boston accent. So basically you intimidated them. We do accept lots and lots of packages, system seems to work, nothing has ever disappeared and we don't charge anything. The girls at the desk have been with me for many years, speak English and Spanish and are genuinely nice, none of them beauties exactly but efficient and honest.
Good points about the rooms..I will look into that.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

PRO: close to the convention center (if you are attending a convention); decent bed.

CON: this is the first time in my 30 years of travel that I have encountered a concrete floor in my bedroom (albeit there was a small throw rug on the floor at the edge of the bed); room was small and emitted a faint disagreeable odor; no coffee maker; no clock.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2012

Actually our guests love our cement floors with the Persian rugs. It is clean,,this is the original cement floor that we have treated with a lithocrome acid stain and then sealed with a wet seal laquer sealer. The results are frankly astounding ,,remember we are what we are and not everybody likes our style...

Reviewed November 7, 2012

We weren't quite sure what to expect when we made reservations here. The staff was very accommodating and friendly. Walking in this hotel took my breath away - in a good way. I felt as though I was in another country. The Moroccan style was beautiful and warm. The rooms, though different were comfortable and had everything we needed. Not the Westin, for sure, but then it wasn't what we expected. The only thing I would chance would be thicker bath towels. You might want to request a few extra at check-in. Take a break and enjoy the poolside bar, arrive early to get seating. Heaters help with the cool evenings. (nice)

The hotel is centrally located and we walked everywhere. Make sure and visit the Pantry and Staples Center. Not too far at all from USC campus where we visited the museum. All in all a good experience. Bring your earplugs if you're a light sleeper. The traffic starts early in the morning.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Thank you for taking time out to write. Everything you say is correct. Have had some difficulty as of late to get thick bathtowels. They don't make them in the US anymore and I think these are from Bangladesh. Otherwise pretty caught up on everything. So fortunate to have this artist transform our hotel He is just fabulous. Name is Ira Gagon. Stays with us for a while in Casa Vogue..paints..get's handsomely paid, goes away and then reappears at some stage, Presently he is doing our elevator doors..truly magnificent..have stopped watching Fox News..sick of Carl Rove and his expertise..but the beat goes on.,,Clippers playing the Spurs tonight across the street..good parking revenue,,can afford to paint another elevator door...

Reviewed October 29, 2012

PROS:
- Really hip ambiance. It truly does give you a Moroccan feel.
- Patrons seemed diverse and interesting
- Parking is only $12 with in and out privileges

CONS:
- I was not excited to have to make my reservation by sending Uno my credit card number via email as that presents fraud/theft issues, but I was unable to get through by phone.
- The sheets were really rough (felt like they had been bleached out one too many times) and the duvet felt like it was made out of canvas. The second my boyfriend and I climbed into the bed we looked at each other and said, "Hmmm...Maybe we should have stayed at a Westin with Heavenly Beds"
- The lighting in the rooms is REALLY low. It's probably meant to be low to hide the bad paint job and create ambiance, but it is just one notch TOO low.
- No good restaurants in the surrounding area. I guess that's what I get for staying in downtown LA, but I was there for a wedding.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank blissfork
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

A few comments. First of all Elyse and I take all reservations. We are in the hotel. know every room and are fluent in English. Every room in this hotel is faux finished. For you to say that lighting is low to hide a bad paint job is frankly insulting. We do not have duvet covers, we have bed spreads..as for the sheets they are top quality. Then on to the restaurants..you have 20 restaurants within a 5 minute walk..more and more restaurants open every day seemingly.just this last month Soleto and Towne,,both just up the street. I am sure the Westin Bonaventure is terrific..parking probably $40..location not as good as ours..but their rooms might be brighter...and they probably also have a more modern reservation system.
Thank you for taking time out to communicate.