“Think twice”

Ranked #148 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Hayward, Wisconsin
“Think twice”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

PRO: close to the convention center (if you are attending a convention); decent bed.

CON: this is the first time in my 30 years of travel that I have encountered a concrete floor in my bedroom (albeit there was a small throw rug on the floor at the edge of the bed); room was small and emitted a faint disagreeable odor; no coffee maker; no clock.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Actually our guests love our cement floors with the Persian rugs. It is clean,,this is the original cement floor that we have treated with a lithocrome acid stain and then sealed with a wet seal laquer sealer. The results are frankly astounding ,,remember we are what we are and not everybody likes our style...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Keizer, Oregon
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We weren't quite sure what to expect when we made reservations here. The staff was very accommodating and friendly. Walking in this hotel took my breath away - in a good way. I felt as though I was in another country. The Moroccan style was beautiful and warm. The rooms, though different were comfortable and had everything we needed. Not the Westin, for sure, but then it wasn't what we expected. The only thing I would chance would be thicker bath towels. You might want to request a few extra at check-in. Take a break and enjoy the poolside bar, arrive early to get seating. Heaters help with the cool evenings. (nice)

The hotel is centrally located and we walked everywhere. Make sure and visit the Pantry and Staples Center. Not too far at all from USC campus where we visited the museum. All in all a good experience. Bring your earplugs if you're a light sleeper. The traffic starts early in the morning.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for taking time out to write. Everything you say is correct. Have had some difficulty as of late to get thick bathtowels. They don't make them in the US anymore and I think these are from Bangladesh. Otherwise pretty caught up on everything. So fortunate to have this artist transform our hotel He is just fabulous. Name is Ira Gagon. Stays with us for a while in Casa Vogue..paints..get's handsomely paid, goes away and then reappears at some stage, Presently he is doing our elevator doors..truly magnificent..have stopped watching Fox News..sick of Carl Rove and his expertise..but the beat goes on.,,Clippers playing the Spurs tonight across the street..good parking revenue,,can afford to paint another elevator door...
Oakland, California
Reviewed October 29, 2012

PROS:
- Really hip ambiance. It truly does give you a Moroccan feel.
- Patrons seemed diverse and interesting
- Parking is only $12 with in and out privileges

CONS:
- I was not excited to have to make my reservation by sending Uno my credit card number via email as that presents fraud/theft issues, but I was unable to get through by phone.
- The sheets were really rough (felt like they had been bleached out one too many times) and the duvet felt like it was made out of canvas. The second my boyfriend and I climbed into the bed we looked at each other and said, "Hmmm...Maybe we should have stayed at a Westin with Heavenly Beds"
- The lighting in the rooms is REALLY low. It's probably meant to be low to hide the bad paint job and create ambiance, but it is just one notch TOO low.
- No good restaurants in the surrounding area. I guess that's what I get for staying in downtown LA, but I was there for a wedding.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank blissfork
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
A few comments. First of all Elyse and I take all reservations. We are in the hotel. know every room and are fluent in English. Every room in this hotel is faux finished. For you to say that lighting is low to hide a bad paint job is frankly insulting. We do not have duvet covers, we have bed spreads..as for the sheets they are top quality. Then on to the restaurants..you have 20 restaurants within a 5 minute walk..more and more restaurants open every day seemingly.just this last month Soleto and Towne,,both just up the street. I am sure the Westin Bonaventure is terrific..parking probably $40..location not as good as ours..but their rooms might be brighter...and they probably also have a more modern reservation system.
Thank you for taking time out to communicate.
Marion, Arkansas
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed here for the O You! Conference. We didn’t know what to expect from this hotel as we had read the mixed reviews. We had an amazing stay. I can’t say enough how accommodating and friendly the staff was. The rooms were very clean, had a refrigerator, and the beds were very comfortable. I loved how there were two closets in the rooms. The water in the shower got hot very quickly. I loved it. It’s hard to find a hotel where you get very hot water. We loved the colors, design, pool area and uniqueness of the hotel. The food was AMAZING as we ate breakfast and dinner there during our stay. The prices were also very reasonable. The location is perfect and there was a wedding, dinner party, etc. at the hotel every night. Very popular place. The pool area and bar are also great. Nice, strong drinks. Thank you for helping to make this three night stay in LA awesome. You have a customer for life. --Rm 1007 & 1018 customer

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank R H
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
It was so nice of you to ask to see me prior to your departure. Your comments make me happy. Actually everybody who attended your conference was so appreciative and genuinely nice.
Hope to see you many times in the future
Good luck in everything you do.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Others gave rave reviews and web site photos looked great. However, when a hotel says it used to be a YWCA, then you need to take heed. Yes, the folks at the desk were nice and I didn't meet Uno but I'm sure he's nice too. The place is very old (loude air conditioning unit in window) and its disguised in a Moroccan decor but more like a hippie commune. I was supposed to stay 3 nights but checked out after 1. This place may be good for some but not for me.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank wineanytime
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
I totally understand. Really nothing I can do about the airconditioners..the hotel across the street after a $16,mill makeover has the same ones. Our windows open however.
I don't know where the "Hippie" part comes in..most of our guests when you were here came from foreign countries...all mature..actually we are a rather civilized hotel..
Anyway so sorry that you did not like us..if you will call me I will credit your account so that your ordeal at the FIG cost you nothing.

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Staff has been very accomodating in regards to our wishes. We are eloping and have chose a stay-in-the-city hotel with character as our abode for our first few nights as a married couple!!!

Looking forward to the stay!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Eloping. How exciting...wish I had your name..would like to do something special for you. Casablanca just canceled..if you read this I will give you this suite at the same price as you would pay for the room. Great big tub to float around in..
Brackenridge, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Forget your ideas about the typical hotel and open your mind to a whole new experience at the Figueroa Hotel. The decor will delight your visual senses once you open your mind to embrace it's uniqueness in every way. I will tell you that on first impression, you may seem surprised...but allow yourself time to adjust, and soon you will find a whole new appreciation for the surroundings at the hotel. The room I stayed in last week during the Magnet Nursing Conference was more than accommodating, with all the necessary amenities and a very clean environment as well. I was impressed! The towel sets were like new and the sheets were super soft as were the ample supply of pillows on a mattress fit for a queen! I rested so well on that bed that I didn't want to get up! And the instant hot water in the shower was a great little perk too. The staff and management could not have been more accommodating! If you do choose the Figueroa Hotel, really take time to appreciate it's uniqueness everywhere. It's actually pretty amazing! Thanks Uno, for a wonderful stay! L.A. rocks!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 1125. It was perfect!