“One of the most unique and charming hotels I've ever seen...”
Review of Hotel Figueroa

Hotel Figueroa
Ranked #148 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Orange County, California
“One of the most unique and charming hotels I've ever seen...”
Reviewed April 30, 2012

We just spent our anniversary weekend at the Figueroa Hotel...and what a wonderful experience it was! The pictures online do not do this hotel justice...as soon as you see it you immediately feel the history associated with it! The decor is amazing...and everything is just beautiful! The pool/jacuzzi area is an oasis in the middle of downtown! So relaxing to sit out there around the beautiful plants, flowers and birds while sipping a cocktail. The staff was attentive, polite and very helpful. A VERY special thank you to Uno for making sure we had such a great room! The walls, the ceilings...all of the decor was an experience in itself. It was a special experience to be inside the room looking out at all the huge modern buildings including the Staples Center while at the same time being inside a room with such history and charm!

I highly recommend staying with Uno and his wonderful group of employees at the Fig...it is an experience you will remember and in our case cherish! You can stay at a Marriott or a Hilton no matter WHERE you travel...you will be hard pressed to find a hotel with such charm and personality at this hotel anywhere.

Thank you again Uno...and everyone at the Hotel Figueroa for making us feel so welcome and being a part of a very special weekend for us!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cherie S
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
God am I glad that there are people like you around who can appreciate what we are and what we are doing here, namely trying to be a bit different and providing decent value for our guests.
Thank you so very much..your comments mean a lot to me and my staff.
By the way did you read the previous review about the pants? Amazing. I called to get an explanation as to what happened and to offer to pay for the pants..the woman who was registered in that room hung up on me...and those people are in the hotel business..total lack of manners in today's society....but you Madame are terrific.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed April 30, 2012

I was in LA just for one night to see a play and to take care of some work business the following morning. They did not have an iron/ironing board in the room. When I called down for one, it was brought to me pretty promptly. But the iron had some sort of burnt "stuff" on it and the second it touched the only pair of pants I brought, it ruined them! I called down to the lobby and told them what happened and all they did was get me a new iron. No apology... nothing! So I went down to the front desk to talk about what happened, and again I did not get an apology. I was just told that there was a Macy's 6 blocks away if I wanted to buy new pants... which I had to. They also did not offer to reimburse me for the new pants that I had to buy. I work for a company that owns hotels and a resort, and service is everything. The Figueroa may look like a unigue hip hotel, but it has the service of a run down motel in the middle of no where. We stay in LA for work/pleasure at least once a month and I will never stay here again.

PS The beds were not very comfortable and the bedding was rough and sctratchy. I can sleep anywhere, but if you need super comfort... this is not the place for you.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JPH007
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, May 5, 2012
In speaking with the front desk staff they never got the impression that you were asking to be reimursed for your pants. Proper procedure would have been for you to ask for the manager and they would have reached me and I would have reimbursed you.I did call the lady who was registered in the room to ask for the amount but she said I was harrassing her and hung up on me.By the way also asked HD Supply to take a look at the iron since it was a recent purchase and they said nothing was wrong with it. Perhaps you are not an expert at ironing.
Boxsprings and mattresses were all purchased from Serta this last summer, About 750 pieces. Congressional quality..supposed to be almost top of the line.
For somebody in the hotel industry you could have handled this better
Nevertheless prepared to reimburse you.

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Kent, Ohio
Reviewed April 25, 2012 via mobile

Had a wonderful four day stay at "La Fig" as it is known (and admired) locally. Tom the exquisite service to the hospitality of the hotelier, it was a most enjoyable stay. The setting is tres chic in that Uno Thimansson is a most congenial host and the room was so much fun to call home for a few days. Staff were attentive and met every need. The jacuzzi was a treat in the midst of a great collection of plants and the pool area is perfectly situated. The hotel is in the Heart! of the action for the Staples Center and the Convention Center. You MUST stay here!!

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank KentStaters
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
I know exactly who you are and how nice of you to take time out to write. Yes it is Paradise out there in the garden..we feed the sparrows scrambled eggs in the morning and Tiger the feral cat two meals per day....I actually have a cognac with him every evening,, at some stage I might even have a shot in the morning..glad you stayed with us and please come back.
All the best and life is great.
Abilene, Texas
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Overall a pleasant experience and nice play to stay downtown. The hotel has lots of charm missing from the sterile environment of a typical convention hotel. However, some "normal" amenities were missing. The price was excellent compared to the other alternatives.

Pros:
Excellent location near the convention center and Staples Center.
Good service, very helpful and friendly.
Actual room keys is a nice reminder of the past.
Historic hotel, but well maintained.
Internet available, but $5 per day extra.
Windows that open, allowing cool breeze in.
Comfortable bed, pillows, etc.
Room was clean and maid service was good.

Cons:
Missing some of the amenities in other hotels, such as refrigerator/microwave in room.
No soda machines or ice machines (at least that I could find)...
Limited TV (I think it was about 13 channels and no HD TV)
None of those are deal-breakers for me, but if you are expecting those things, it's good to know what's missing.
Finally, the room did not have a brochure or booklet containing information about the hotel. Perhaps the hotel had other amenities that I missed, but there was nothing in the room (or on the website) describing what the hotel had to offer.

Would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, April 24, 2012
Thank you very much. Good constructive review.
Let me deal with the Cons
Every room has a refrigerator. Every room. We will never have a microwave, We have a lobby cafe in the lobby.There is a soda machine in the lower lobby. Placed it there since I don't like the looks of vending machines. Complimentary ice and buckets in lobby cafe 24 hours a day. Don't like the looks of ice machines in the hallways,You are correct on the TV channels, We have free Direct TV. Perhaps we should consider Pay per view..I just don't know. We don't have brochures any more. The only advertisement we have is our Web site which is quite informative and I might add rather selfeffacing which I guess is a reflection of my personality. We also have maps and other information at the front desk.Thank you for taking time out to write, I liked your comments.
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I've had the opportunity to stay at the Figueroa twice now, while attending conferences, and I'll be there again this year. It's got everything I hope for when going to a conference - good communication while setting up my stay, attentive folks at the counter, and comfortable rooms. The breakfasts are good and reasonably priced, and I like being able to open the windows at night for fresh air. The street noise is more apparent with open windows, but it's easy enough to close them and use the AC. I didn't find the AC to be distracting when I had it turned on.

The bathroom was clean and well-lit, there was plenty of closet space, and the TV had enough channels for me.

The room service staff was friendly and efficient when I met them in the halls, and did a good job keeping the room clean.

One thing I noticed was that the wireless was pretty slow. However, there were about 5000 programmers in town, and people who stayed in other (much more expensive) hotels had the same comment. Not a complaint, just an observation.

The location is great - it costs fifty cents each way to take a bus to the LA County Museum of History, the Science Center, and the Rose Garden. The Jewelry District is within easy walking distance, as is the LA County Library, the country's shortest railway, and the Public Market. There are lots of places to eat within a minute's walk, and lots of tourist activities.

I like the atmosphere at the Fig, and look forward to staying there again this year.

Room Tip: I happen to like the rooms overlooking Figueroa Ave.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank dcj8
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Thank you very much. Makes me feel great.Some of the negative reviews can get you down...but there actually are not that many.
A previous review mentioned about the lack of smiles at the front desk. These ladies have been here forever,,a couple of them are above 50.
I found the solution..every morning before their shift I give them a shot of Patrone Tequila..it has worked wonders..now they are smiling almost too much..so that takes care of that..thank you again..we are having fun here.
Oakland, California
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We prefer hotels with a unique point of view - versus generic hotels like the Marriott/Holiday Inn. and the Ritz Carletons of the world are out of our price range. So BOTH The Standard (which we stayed at for 5 days in Dec) and the Hotel Figueroa (which we stayed at for 4 days in April) are the kind of places we like.

I found it VERY HELPFUL to read a lot the Trip Advisor reviews to manage my expectations of Hotel Figueroa because a "tourist hotel" is very different from a "boutique hotel"  So that is why I want to put in my two cents, to help the next guest determine if this is the hotel for them.

For example, my very particular husband  DID NOT read the reviews and was initially put off when we arrived because: no valet parking, no bellhop (it was after 10pm onEaster Sunday though) and they have old fashioned room keys with a plastic tag with the room number, instead of the modern card keys we are used to. However by the time we left he fell in love with the place and is already talking about coming back.

To cut down on typing I will refer to Hotel Figueroa as HF and the Standard as TS

1 HF makes you feel like you are on a Hollywood set of a Moroccan movie. (Shakira shot a music video here awhile ago and while we were there a commercial was being filmed).  TS makes you feel like a mid-level executive in the entertainment/fashion industry. Both hotels have a touch of fantasy, just different type of fantasy.

2  HF is literally across the street from LA Live and with all the restaurants, grammy musuem and entertainment venues located there, it means you don't have to be a slave to your car which is often the case in Los Angeles. TS is only about 5 blocks away from LA live, but I wouldn't recommend walking there at night. Besides the LA main library, not much else is near TS except other hotels and office buildings so there is not much to do outside of the hotel.

3 HF front desk staff is from Central America/Mexico and they rarely cracked a smile or provided anything more than average customer service. I think if you speak Spanish they are a little friendlier based on what I observed. TS staff are young, outgoing and friendly and understand what is means to be in the hospitality industry. But considering the difference in the price of the rooms of the two hotels, it isn't fair to expect outstanding customer service too.

4 The bulk of HF guests during our visit were European tourists, young and old. At TS it was a lot of NY'ers on business, everyone on their mobile device. And on the weekend it was a young party crowd playing loud music and the hallway reeked of marijuana.

5 HF has charming and romantic pool/bar area with incredible foliage and cacti. Feels like an oasis in the midst of the glitzy LA. Very relaxed vibe. TS has a rooftop pool/bar area  with killer view and it is definetly a party/pick up scene with everyone looking tan and fit.

6 Our only meal at HF was one breakfast and it was reasonably priced but nothing special. Fortunately they are between The Pantry and Magnolia on one side and all the restaurants at LA live on the other. (Maybe we would have had dinner here if they had bellydancers to complement the Morrocan theme.) TS Standard is a tad pricey for the portion size but has delicious food - especially the chicken and waffles. There are some other restaurants nearby, but not as many as HF.

7 HF parking is $12 which is a big savings for this neighborhood where $30 and up is going rate. You have to self park, the occasional attendant there is just to monitor that you have a parking permit on the dashboard and there is 24 hour video survelliance. This is a good thing because you have to drive down an alley (well lit, but alley nevertheless) behind the hotel to get to the parking lot. This felt a little scary when we first arrived. Parking at TS is $30 and they have parking attendants to bring your car. Tipping these guys every time you need your car starts to add up if you are going in and out for several days. And if there is a function going on at the hotel, the wait to get your car can be long.

8 HF has refrigerator in the room so can bring your own snacks/ treats (no microwave or coffee pot though) TS has a fully stocked minibar so only things can have in frig is what they sell you

9  Although HF rooms have an unconventional design in terms of decor - the room configuration is conventional. Meaning they have an armoire with drawers, big closet, multiple mirrors, nightstands. None of this was at TS. If you are staying more than a weekend, this matters. I also didn't like the bathtub/shower in the middle of the room at TS nor the beds on the floor.

10 We did NOT experience any of the complaints that a few reviewers mentioned - dirty room, homeless people nearby or a noisy room. Our room was on the 9th floor overlooking the pool. When our window was open we could here faint sounds of the music from the bar, but because we liked the musical selections, it wasn't a problem. We do wish they had free Wifi- like The Standard, to keep us from going next door to Starbucks.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank uglybettyfan
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
In an article many years ago they referred to the Standard and Figueroa as the Yin and Yang. Frankly I have never been to the Standard but always viewed it as superior to us. So for you to favor us is really quite something. Thank you for taking time out to write.Actually all hotels downtown in our category are gone..I think we have survived by being a Frank Tarkenton..not sitting in the pocket throwing strikes but rather scrambling..business guests, tourists from everywhere ..also I am from the old school..I like guestcontact, room keys..old radiators with steam heat..but what really irritates me is that our front desk employees don't smile more..that simply should not be..some of them have been here for more than 20 years and they should know better...I think I know who you are,,you were not even in one of our best rooms..therefore when you return I am putting you in a large corner room with two queens at the same price.if you drive your Black Bentley convertible parking will be comp..tell your husand to enter trough the Alley.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Great vibe, great atmosphere, the most uniquely decorated hotel, fun to stay in. I love the Figueroa Hotel! It’s so accommodating in so many ways, comfortable, very clean, good food, great prices. To me, it is the best hotel in Downtown LA, at the very least. I wasn’t expecting this Moroccan hotel to be so home-y, but I would definitely choose to stay here when I need to be in Downtown. The rooms are like going on a little adventure. The staff is wonderful, warm, and very welcoming. I would also go there to eat, too, great food, and very reasonable, not to forget a fabulous atmosphere in the lobby. In so many ways, I was treated very nicely here. Stay here when you are going to an event, too. I think this hotel is a treat to the senses. Thank you Figueroa, for you being you! Well done.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are a journey! Have fun!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Amy L
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Thank you Madame for your kind words, Glad you felt welcome and that you appreciate our a bit quirky hotel...not everybody does..as a young man from Sweden I spent a lot of summers in Morocco ( working I might add) and really admired the Mediterranean colours..actually I liked everything so when we started playing around with the Figueroa it was clearly the way to go..in recent years we have added a few modern touches .Botero reproductions, some a bit risque, Japanese rice paper lanterns, Plumens from London..all in all an eclectic mix.please come back and I will show you our special venues.