“10 reasons why we prefer this hotel over The Standard downtown”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Figueroa

Hotel Figueroa
Ranked #146 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
Oakland, California
“10 reasons why we prefer this hotel over The Standard downtown”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

We prefer hotels with a unique point of view - versus generic hotels like the Marriott/Holiday Inn. and the Ritz Carletons of the world are out of our price range. So BOTH The Standard (which we stayed at for 5 days in Dec) and the Hotel Figueroa (which we stayed at for 4 days in April) are the kind of places we like.

I found it VERY HELPFUL to read a lot the Trip Advisor reviews to manage my expectations of Hotel Figueroa because a "tourist hotel" is very different from a "boutique hotel"  So that is why I want to put in my two cents, to help the next guest determine if this is the hotel for them.

For example, my very particular husband  DID NOT read the reviews and was initially put off when we arrived because: no valet parking, no bellhop (it was after 10pm onEaster Sunday though) and they have old fashioned room keys with a plastic tag with the room number, instead of the modern card keys we are used to. However by the time we left he fell in love with the place and is already talking about coming back.

To cut down on typing I will refer to Hotel Figueroa as HF and the Standard as TS

1 HF makes you feel like you are on a Hollywood set of a Moroccan movie. (Shakira shot a music video here awhile ago and while we were there a commercial was being filmed).  TS makes you feel like a mid-level executive in the entertainment/fashion industry. Both hotels have a touch of fantasy, just different type of fantasy.

2  HF is literally across the street from LA Live and with all the restaurants, grammy musuem and entertainment venues located there, it means you don't have to be a slave to your car which is often the case in Los Angeles. TS is only about 5 blocks away from LA live, but I wouldn't recommend walking there at night. Besides the LA main library, not much else is near TS except other hotels and office buildings so there is not much to do outside of the hotel.

3 HF front desk staff is from Central America/Mexico and they rarely cracked a smile or provided anything more than average customer service. I think if you speak Spanish they are a little friendlier based on what I observed. TS staff are young, outgoing and friendly and understand what is means to be in the hospitality industry. But considering the difference in the price of the rooms of the two hotels, it isn't fair to expect outstanding customer service too.

4 The bulk of HF guests during our visit were European tourists, young and old. At TS it was a lot of NY'ers on business, everyone on their mobile device. And on the weekend it was a young party crowd playing loud music and the hallway reeked of marijuana.

5 HF has charming and romantic pool/bar area with incredible foliage and cacti. Feels like an oasis in the midst of the glitzy LA. Very relaxed vibe. TS has a rooftop pool/bar area  with killer view and it is definetly a party/pick up scene with everyone looking tan and fit.

6 Our only meal at HF was one breakfast and it was reasonably priced but nothing special. Fortunately they are between The Pantry and Magnolia on one side and all the restaurants at LA live on the other. (Maybe we would have had dinner here if they had bellydancers to complement the Morrocan theme.) TS Standard is a tad pricey for the portion size but has delicious food - especially the chicken and waffles. There are some other restaurants nearby, but not as many as HF.

7 HF parking is $12 which is a big savings for this neighborhood where $30 and up is going rate. You have to self park, the occasional attendant there is just to monitor that you have a parking permit on the dashboard and there is 24 hour video survelliance. This is a good thing because you have to drive down an alley (well lit, but alley nevertheless) behind the hotel to get to the parking lot. This felt a little scary when we first arrived. Parking at TS is $30 and they have parking attendants to bring your car. Tipping these guys every time you need your car starts to add up if you are going in and out for several days. And if there is a function going on at the hotel, the wait to get your car can be long.

8 HF has refrigerator in the room so can bring your own snacks/ treats (no microwave or coffee pot though) TS has a fully stocked minibar so only things can have in frig is what they sell you

9  Although HF rooms have an unconventional design in terms of decor - the room configuration is conventional. Meaning they have an armoire with drawers, big closet, multiple mirrors, nightstands. None of this was at TS. If you are staying more than a weekend, this matters. I also didn't like the bathtub/shower in the middle of the room at TS nor the beds on the floor.

10 We did NOT experience any of the complaints that a few reviewers mentioned - dirty room, homeless people nearby or a noisy room. Our room was on the 9th floor overlooking the pool. When our window was open we could here faint sounds of the music from the bar, but because we liked the musical selections, it wasn't a problem. We do wish they had free Wifi- like The Standard, to keep us from going next door to Starbucks.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank uglybettyfan
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
In an article many years ago they referred to the Standard and Figueroa as the Yin and Yang. Frankly I have never been to the Standard but always viewed it as superior to us. So for you to favor us is really quite something. Thank you for taking time out to write.Actually all hotels downtown in our category are gone..I think we have survived by being a Frank Tarkenton..not sitting in the pocket throwing strikes but rather scrambling..business guests, tourists from everywhere ..also I am from the old school..I like guestcontact, room keys..old radiators with steam heat..but what really irritates me is that our front desk employees don't smile more..that simply should not be..some of them have been here for more than 20 years and they should know better...I think I know who you are,,you were not even in one of our best rooms..therefore when you return I am putting you in a large corner room with two queens at the same price.if you drive your Black Bentley convertible parking will be comp..tell your husand to enter trough the Alley.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

Great vibe, great atmosphere, the most uniquely decorated hotel, fun to stay in. I love the Figueroa Hotel! It’s so accommodating in so many ways, comfortable, very clean, good food, great prices. To me, it is the best hotel in Downtown LA, at the very least. I wasn’t expecting this Moroccan hotel to be so home-y, but I would definitely choose to stay here when I need to be in Downtown. The rooms are like going on a little adventure. The staff is wonderful, warm, and very welcoming. I would also go there to eat, too, great food, and very reasonable, not to forget a fabulous atmosphere in the lobby. In so many ways, I was treated very nicely here. Stay here when you are going to an event, too. I think this hotel is a treat to the senses. Thank you Figueroa, for you being you! Well done.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are a journey! Have fun!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Amy L
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Thank you Madame for your kind words, Glad you felt welcome and that you appreciate our a bit quirky hotel...not everybody does..as a young man from Sweden I spent a lot of summers in Morocco ( working I might add) and really admired the Mediterranean colours..actually I liked everything so when we started playing around with the Figueroa it was clearly the way to go..in recent years we have added a few modern touches .Botero reproductions, some a bit risque, Japanese rice paper lanterns, Plumens from London..all in all an eclectic mix.please come back and I will show you our special venues.
Poole, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for six nights in March whilst attending a conference. The Figueroa is ideally situated for downtown/LA Live and is better value than some of the newer, plusher hotels. However, the shabby chic des sometimes leave a little to be desired such as singe pane windows that don't eliminate traffic noise or draughts and a heater/air conditioning unit that sounds like a small jet aircraft.
My room was a good size with a huge bed, just wish it had been more recently refurbished to add a bit more comfort. Having said that, I'd probably stay here again if visiting LA.

Stayed March 2012
5 Thank JohnnyHedgehog
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
You are absolutely correct in your observations. Absolutely. Problem is that these are the original windows and they open which I really like. A nice breeze comes in from the ocean at night.
As for the window air conditioners..they are actually very effective..when a problem arises we can replace the unit in 5 minutes.Actually another downtown hotel which has just spent $15 Mill in upgrades still has the same units except they come in through the walls...their windows don't open ..ownership of that hotel has done a wonderful job and their hotel is far superior to ours.
which is good...now hopefully they will raise their rates making us an even bigger bargain.
Once again...thank you for taking time out to write....
Phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

I was in L.A. over the weekend for my bridal party, all the staff at Hotel Figueroa was very pleasant and completely surpassed my expectations on how accommodating they were with us. Will definitely stay here again and recommend to everyone. Beautiful boutique hotel! Loved the food from their café and the cocktails from the bar (I wish I would of gotten the name of our bartender to give him props on here lol, he took care of us both Friday night and Saturday at 3pm Note: there is some traffic noise considering that this hotel is in the heart of the city (active/ live part of town) so if you are looking forward to having some meditating time this might not be for you. There are bars, clubs, restaurants, stores and banks at a walking distance.

Thank you soo much to all the staff at Hotel Figueroa! Couldn’t have been any better!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Brenda L
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
Thank you very much for taking time out to write. Your entire entourage were terrific guests with lots of class and I am thrilled that you chose our hotel . I also like the fact that you call us a boutique when in my opinion we are just a tourist class hotel with a bit of swagger...life is good.
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2012

Just got back after staying 2 days in this hotel with my daughter. I have to admit that I was a bit hesitant to go in the hotel seeing that it looked a bit shady from the outside but we didn't have much choice since it was a busy week with 2 conventions going on and most of the surrounding hotels were completely booked. I appreciated that they did give us a room even though they said they were sold out. We stayed on the 6th floor in a room that was facing Figueroa street. First night, one can hear people yelling, cars, sirens, street bumps from the street outside. It didn't quiet down until about 12:30 am. There was a huge billboard with extremely bright lights pointing up from the Luxe Hotel across the street so alot of the light was going in our room. Needless to say, I could not get any sleep! To top that off one can hear doors slamming and people walking/talking around in the hallway. I was also a bit concerned about security since anyone can go in/out of the hotel and up the elevators although there was a chain at the door and the lock on the door knob but that was it. I called front desk and asked if they can provide ear plugs or eye mask, but this isn't a 3 or 4 start hotel. They tried to be accomodating and said that they can move me to another room on the 2nd or 4th floor but they were both facing Figueroa St so it may be worse. They sent a maintenance guy to come see what he can do and I asked for a blanket to be rolled and placed on top of the curtain to prevent the lights from coming in. He was nice enough to do that. Next morning, I asked to be placed in another room which helped a bit. I asked if the blanket can be placed on top of the curtains but the front desk stated that it was not something they can do even though I told them that it was already done the day before. This new room still faced Figuroa but a part of the building blocked the room from the lights and also the street noise and there was blinds although some lights still went through at the top. I finally got some sleep on the second night. The television was small perhaps 15in wide and the remote sometimes did not turn on the TV, i.e. you have to turn it on manually, then the rest of the remote worked. There was a small refrigerator but I don't think it was cold enough. For some reason, it was hot in the rooms. Both the fan and heater were both off as I didn't want to blow dust around as the curtains were a bit dusty at the top. The bed is reasonably comfortable and the bathroom seemed clean but old. It did feel like we were staying in a developing country. Parking was in the back of the hotel and very cramped. I rented a brand new car and didn't get the insurance which covers for scratches so I was always concerned that it might get scratched, but thank God it didn't. The guys at the parking lot were helpful and accomodating. Yes, we were staying at the heart of downtown so I can't really complain much about all the noise and staff did try to accomodate and helped with the room change which is why I rated this hotel an average instead of poor.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms facing Figueroa Street.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, March 18, 2012
I know exactly who you are. Just about sold out for a big convention. Stated that to you up front. Offered you to take a look at the room which I believe you did. Offered you a special rate.
Room was 604. Good value in our tourist class category thus the rate. We have 60 rooms facing Figueroa street. Of course there will be some noise considering that we are in very best and most active part of town. So you called a night person to hang a blanket over the window at 2 o'clock in the morning, He did but there is already a cover over the window.The next morning you asked to move to another room..once again we obliged and once again you found fault with this room, Then the parking being tight. Never heard that before. We charge $12 per night..the JW across the street $40. Then you have negative comments on the size of the TV. Next the refigerator was not cold enough. Then dust above the curtains. You madame are a problem guest and in retrospect I should not have rented to you. Very disappointing to say the least.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

Wonderful hotel. Great value. Less expensive is the OK but forgettable conference hotel I had originally planned to stay at. A wonderful experience and 1 of my best "finds" ever. Perfect for art, architecture, or history lovers. So many guests were walking around taking pictures with their cell phones of this beautiful place. Myself included.

• Stayed March 2012
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, March 17, 2012
Thank you very very much. Makes me happy. This is a fun hotel; we don't take life too seriously.decor a bit avant garde..a mixture from Morrocco, India and Syria...but also a few items from Ikea due to my heritage...thank you ..come back again and again and again.
Eugene, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

I recently stayed here to participate in a conference. It not only had a really fun, unique Bohemian feel, but it was only two blocks away from the convention center, and was one of the most affordable options in the area. It was clean, comfortable and close to some nice restaurants.

A few things to know:
1. It feels like you are staying in a small, older, European room out of a movie
2. They do NOT have irons and ironing boards in the room (only important if you are trying to look really nice for a conference or meeting)
3. The pool they describe is small and does not have any chaise lounges (that I saw), so be prepared to lay out and get some sun on your towel.
4. The breakfast downstairs is not included, and is also not that great (basic, cafeteria-style), I would recommend the nearby The Farm... great brioche french toast!

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the less road noise I would guess.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Sone-a-rone
bertuno, Owner at Hotel Figueroa, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
Thank you for your comments. Glad you enjoyed your stay.
Actually irons and ironing boards are on request and delivered to the room in 2 minutes
Yes it is a breakfast buffet,,you select what you want and pay for what you select, It is easier that way since a great many of our guesrs are from foreign countries and don't speak English,
As for the pool...it is possibly the largest in the city and big enough for laps. about 25 cushions to lie on are provided at pool side every day..as it gets warmer as many as needed.
Location is terrific,,,the Farm serves a dynamite breakfast as does the Pantry half a block in the other direction..all in all about 15 restaurants ..by the way the jacuzzi next to the pool might also be the biggest in the city and it is HOT...once again I thank you for staying with us.