“What you get is EXACTLY what you see on their website”

Venice Breeze Suites
NYC
“What you get is EXACTLY what you see on their website”
Reviewed March 25, 2009

I was very pleased with my stay at the suites. It was very convenient for me and the price was right. While it is true that the neighborhood can be a bit shady at night, I was not at all uncomfortable. Mike, the suites' manager, was helpful and pleasant. I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Turkish first
California
Reviewed March 14, 2009

We visit Los Angeles frequently and decided to stay in Venice for the first time. The building has been recently renovated and the rooms are great. The owners did a fantastic job of designing and decorating the rooms. Ours had a small kitchen and dining area, which were convenient for eating in. There is also a great rooftop deck with a grill. Unfortunately, housekeeping did not clean the dishes used by the previous guests. This is not a full-service hotel, so we had to clean the dishes ourselves. The bathroom, though, was clean and well designed. Other updated amenities included the AC system and flat-panel TV with DVD player. The building itself is quite old, so we easily heard our neighbors through the thin walls. Furthermore, the hotel is located on the Boardwalk, which can be a very festive place on the weekend. The Venice Drum Circle played each day in front of the hotel until 10pm. We were away from the room much of time, but this would definitely be an inconvenience for anyone who goes to bed early or wants to take a midday nap. Speaking of bed, we have slept in hotels all over the world and this has to be one of the worst beds we have encountered. It was extremely soft and we woke up each morning with sore backs. Another thing to consider is the parking situation. Parking is provided in the garage of a building five blocks away. There are a number of transients in the Venice Beach area, especially at night. While we are accustomed to transients in our urban environment back home, the walk between the garage and hotel made us uncomfortable at night. There are some shortcomings that hopefully management will address over time. However, it is hard to find a Los Angeles hotel on the beach with nice rooms for this reasonable price.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ValleyTraveller76
Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed January 9, 2009

First off, I would like to point at that I am a professional travel writer and photographer. I don't contribute to this or any other review sites on a regular basis. But once in a while, when I feel inclined to share an experience with a wider audience (and not just to the readership of the magazines I contribute articles to), I'll post a review. This is such an occasion.

Moving along...

After having stayed at several other hotels on or near the boardwalk in Venice Beach and Santa Monica, I have finally found a gem, the Venice Breeze Suites.

In my opinion, most of the smaller hotels (and a couple of the bigger ones) are in desperate need of an entirely new concept.

And even if plenty of these hotels marketing efforts often play to the tune of being "surf funky" and "bohemian chic", the apparent truth is that the owners care very little about keeping their properties in good shape – and even less about their guests' experiences. Its sad really – and I've had some pretty bad experiences at some pretty steep rates.

The Venice Breeze Suites (which, by the way, I in no way have any affiliation with) is an exception to the rule. They have recently renovated the entire building – which, I have been told, previously was in pretty dire straits. This used to be a residential apartment building – and it still is. Studios can be rented on a daily, weekly or monthly basis.

I stayed "The Breeze" for five nights in January 2009 (Jan 1-6) and enjoyed my best L.A. beach hotel experience so far. The friendly and service minded staff played a big part in this. But more importantly, the rooms at this hotel are nothing less than marvelous. Not just because the competition is in sad shape either.

The studio we stayed in (#203) was decorated and planned to be both cozy and functional – and was just that. I don't know who did the thoughtful interior design, but it definitely made our stay an enjoyable one. I think not having to look at (let alone make use of) ugly, worn and torn furniture and rugs makes a huge difference.

We also liked taking advantage of our studio's gorgeous and fully equipped kitchenette and using an clean, neat and nice looking bathroom. Which, when your traveling with kids, is pretty important.

Flat screen TV, free WiFi and local calls all add to the overall positive impression – as did the awesome view on the rooftop lounge.

The only negative of our stay there was that the phone system didn't work very well – making it difficult for friends to call directly to our room. A technical glitch that I'm sure was soon corrected.

Not everybody appreciates the crazies, wannabe hippies, "artists" and trashy culture along the Venice Beach Boardwalk. But if you can or even, like me, enjoy it once and a while, Venice Breeze Suites is the hotel to stay at.

• Liked — The interior decorating of the room
  • Disliked — When neighbor doors close, the slamming noise is a little too loud.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank Joakim L
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,754 reviews
Cadillac Hotel
Cadillac Hotel
#236 of 351 in Los Angeles

Been to Venice Breeze Suites? Share your experiences!