“Great location, average rooms and overpriced.”

Venice Breeze Suites
Singapore, Singapore
“Great location, average rooms and overpriced.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014

I am a regular to Venice Beach and this was actually the second time I stayed at the Venice Breeze Suites. To be honest last time I stayed there was post financial crisis and it was pretty reasonable. I had not been particularly impressed at that time, but did not have a bad experience that I thought I'd give it another shot. Since then prices have gone up a lot and I think it is very poor value for the money. They charge hotel prices for short stay apartments. The hotel si right on the Boardwalk and there are very few options on the boardwalk so the location can't be beat.

Service: I think the service was good. We arrived early and they checked us in early. The staff was friendly and helpful. They always smiled when you came into the hotel and tried to help you whenever you needed something. However, considering the price (I paid about $300 per night for a room with a view of the parking lot) I think they should have a 24 hour desk.

Room: The room has a kitchen with utensils and plates. There is a little fridge as well. There is some funky looking furniture. The bathroom has two rain shower heads which is really nice. If you were to take a snapshot of the room it would look nice in a photo, but after staying there about a week you realize the room is quite tired. One of the windows in our room was difficult to open. Some of the blinds were difficult to open and close. In other words the blinds that felt newer opened and closed easily. To the hotel's credit when I reported these issues they tried to fix it immediately. Also since the hotel is a short stay apartment so they do not clean the rooms. After a few days of going to the beach the room can get quite messy. Also you have to bring your own towels as there is $30 charge for towels.

Extras: Parking is included with the room. This is a huge plus in Venice Beach.

Overall: I dod not think this hotel was great value for money. For $350 (They charge that amount in peak for sea views) you can get a nice room in Casa del Mar in Santa Monica. I felt like I paid for a great location and nothing more. The rooms just felt really average with tired fittings. I don't think I would stay here again unless there was a special deal.

Room Tip: If you do decide to stay here go with a sea view room to make it worth it. If you don't want to...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
VeniceBreezeSuites, Manager at Venice Breeze Suites, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear Guest, Thank you for staying with us again and writing a review. We have raised our prices for the first time in 4 years to the average rate for a night in Venice Beach. We are a little concerned about your statements since your rate was much lower then $350 and the hotel you mentioned as an alternative is at least double our highest rates. We have extended our hours and are in the process of being able to have the front desk open 24 hrs. We do have after hours cell phone numbers on the outside of the office door if assistance is needed. With the salt air on the beach it has effected some of our windows and they as well as the blinds are on our list to upgrade. We offer 4 sets of towels, beach towels and all the equipment in your suites to clean up after a beach day at no extra cost. This is adequate with most guest. We are saddened to hear you may not stay with us again and we do feel like we are a bargain for our location and suites.
We sincerely hope you enjoy the rest of your summer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Turkish first
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

We had a corner room on the third floor and the view was spectacular, up and down the beach. The mattress in the bedroom was perfect; we slept well. The room was as cute as the photos (though smaller than it seems online, blame a wide-angle lens). The hotel was under construction during our visit. To their credit, Michael and Cindy did what they could, but I would recommend making sure no construction is underway if you go. The design of the room is just great, no complaints there. The kitchen is a little under-equipped if you were serious about actually making a meal. Yes, there are homeless people who set up camp right out front and they are not quiet, which is more of a problem only if you have someone sleeping in the front. We were up early anyway. The real bummer was that the furniture was a bit shabby. It was modern but cheap, and the one chair was so oily I could not bring myself to sit in it. The sofa was stained, not nice. So, if you go, enjoy the view and ask for a recently updated room on a corner.

Room Tip: Get a corner room, ask for recently acquired furnishings.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank DbTX
Dear DbTX,

Thank you for the review and staying with us while we were making improvements. We appreciate your comments on our suites and most of our furniture is new but we will be doing a re-inspection and replacing them as needed. We strive to have clean, updated and modern furnishings and appreciate this input. All our suites do have kitchens but they only have the basics. Guest that are planning special or extravagant meals are encouraged to bring there specific utensils. We hope you also took advantage of our roof top BBQ for all our guest to use.
We agree the views are awesome as well and we look forward to your return. Have a great rest of your summer! ~Michael & Cindy
Perth and Kinross, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

Room was nice & spacious. Was clean apart from the kitchen area although we didn't use that area. The walls were very thin and kept being woken up by banging doors and people coming in late at night.
location is great as right next to the beach and took us about 30 mins to walk to Santa Monica Pier. location during the day is good as lots going on... but at night is a different story...
We went out to get something to eat (firstly no good restaurants near by)! As soon as I walked out the hotel I did not feel safe!! Apart from the homeless on the street which were fine, we got offered drugs as we walked down, a random guy started talking nonsense to my husband and then the random guy run down and punched a guy who was just walking passed, by this time I was ready to go back to the hotel with no dinner! The police came within 2 mins though!

I will not be returning to this location.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
VeniceBreezeSuites, Manager at Venice Breeze Suites, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear dmcuk8381, Thank you for the review and staying with us. We are pleased you liked our suites and location and will address the cleanliness of the kitchen with our staff. We are adding some soundproofing to the doors and thank you for input. We are surprised you did not find any good restaurants. We are only 2 blocks from Abbot Kinney where there are numerous award winning restaurants such as Gjelina, Primitivo and The Tasting Kitchen. Venice Beach is a very active and diverse place and not for the faint of heart. We hope you have a safe and pleasant rest of your trip.
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

We (me and my 3 teenagers) spent just one night at the Venice Breeze Suites before moving to a swankier location in Hollywood. In retrospect, always a fine thing, I would have stayed on there and used it as a base as it is generously equipped (everything you need and some nice extra touches like an iPod Dock), the reburbishment is attractive loft style, well laid out, and it's right on the beach. Had a great swim under the eye of the lifeguard before packing up and moving on. The homeless people in the street outside were unthreatening and slept well. Much less noisy than the constant traffic in Hollywood as it turns out. It is a long drive (took us ann hour) into Hollywood/Beverley hills but it was interesting and there are plenty of day parking for 6 dollars.
Santa Monica pier is a 40 minute stroll up the sea front and there is also a lovely bike track all the way. We walked to the pier, then into the shopping area (4 blocks in) and got supper and the took a taxi back for 12 dollars.
Hotels instructions for arrival and parking are detailed and good. Parking is secured and free. Service is discrete but willco. Bring matches and a torch to use the gas BBQ on the roof terrace!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Team C C
VeniceBreezeSuites, Manager at Venice Breeze Suites, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Hello Team C C and thank you for the great review. We are pleased you took advantage of our great location by visiting Santa Monica and jumping in the ocean! We hope you enjoyed using the guest roof top grill and please next time just press the black button to start the flame instead of using a torch. We hope you enjoy the rest of your summer and we look forward to seeing you again.
Venice Breeze Suites
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

I brought my son to the Venice Breeze suites for a few nights this spring. All in all we were quite impressed with this place. I had spent hours pouring through reviews and am pleased with our final decision. We booked an ocean front suite on the 4th floor. Upon arrival I thought the place was cute, well appointed but smaller than I had anticipated. The hard wood floors and design were attractive and efficient. The one bed was comfortable but small for two people. I had to share the double bed with my 21 year old son because the "pull out" couch was completely non-functional. It was very short and covered with some unexplained debris/hair on it. There weren't any sheets to put on it.. so sleeping on it was not an option. The view from our ocean front studio suite was nice. It did not feel "panoramic" as the windows were between large areas of brick. I think next time I will save a $100 a night and get the partial ocean view and get the same benefit. I enjoyed that it was well stocked with nice dishes and silverware. Came in handy when we ordered take out one night. It was also walking distance to many great places to eat. We also walked to the Santa Monica pier and rode the ferris wheel and other rides. What a great time! We loved the action right outside our door and weren't bothered by the unique people. I do work in the mental health field.. So perhaps I am desensitized to such things. We bought some great stuff from vendors on the boardwalk. The roof top deck was beautiful (also smaller than I'd anticipated)... But a great place to relax if I could catch a moment when it wasn't overflowing with people. The 2nd night we were there a large group of people got stuck in the elevator. The fire department had to come and spent a couple hours trying to "rescue" these people. We spent the remainder of our stay having to go up and down the stairs and had to haul our luggage down four flights of stairs to check out. All in all we really enjoyed our stay at the Venice Breeze Suites and would likely stay again.

Room Tip: Ocean front suites are not worth the extra money.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank NancySparx
VeniceBreezeSuites, Manager at Venice Breeze Suites, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Hello Nancy,
Thank you for staying with us and giving us a nice review. We apologize about the sofa bed, we will be putting instructions in the suites on how to properly use them and that all the extra bedding is in a stow away compartment on the side. As for the cleanliness, we have brought this to the attention of our cleaning staff and they are paying extra attention to these sofa beds. Yes during your stay we did have guest that thought they could fit all 6 of them in our 2 person elevator and the result was a broken elevator for several days. We have ordered new signs for the elevator warning our guest not to overload it and hopefully this will prevent any down time with it in the future. We are glad you enjoyed all the things to do in our area and please contact us directly for your next stay at manager@venicebreezesuites.com so we can provide you with a special offer.
Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

My very good friend from Australia was visiting and I suggested a couple of nights on Venice Beach. What a great find! Clean, modern with remnants of the old brick, fabulous kitchen, and more. The bedding and towels were great and better than expected for a vacation rental. I know it's gone through a recent refurbish...great job! I've already referred this place to others. We will be back. Thanks for the excellent service as well.

Room Tip: upper floor (we were on 4th) with partial ocean view toward the beach end. Perfect!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Hello n2dzine2,
Thank you for the "perfect" review! We are very pleased you found us and recommended your friends to stay with us. Your feed back on our linens and service is greatly appreciated and we look forward to your return!
St Kilda, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

This is a great place to stay if you want to be right in the middle of the action at Venice Beach.

Our suite was newly refurbished and had everything we needed. The fold out bed in the living space made it comfortable for our group of 3.

The staff were very accommodating and the recommended restaurants were great.

We took advantage of the hotel discount at J's Bike hire and spent the day cycling from Santa Monica to Marina del Ray.

There were a lot of street people living on the beach nearby, but they didn't bother us. It was a bit noisy at night, but really good value.

Construction in the foyer looked like it was almost complete and didn't really disrupt our stay.

We would come back again.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Jane B
VeniceBreezeSuites, Manager at Venice Breeze Suites, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Dear Jane,
Thank you for the great review and staying with us during our remodel. We are glad you took advantage of J's bike rentals discount and enjoyed your suite. We are on the final phase of the work and will soon be enjoying our new Handicap lift and suites as well as the other improvements we have made through out the property. Hope to see you again and have a safe trip home!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,718 reviews
Cadillac Hotel
Cadillac Hotel
#238 of 349 in Los Angeles

Been to Venice Breeze Suites? Share your experiences!