Venice Breeze Suites
  • Beachfront
$271
$212
  • Pool
Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel(West Hollywood)(Great Value!)
$364
$337
Official Site
  • Restaurant
Viceroy Santa Monica(Santa Monica)
$560
$145
$119
FourPoints.com
  • Pool
All reviewsrooftop deckvenice beachsanta monicahomeless peopleocean frontsidewalk cafegreat rooftoppanoramic ocean viewdrum circleexposed brick wallsfull kitchenabbot kinneymuscle beachthe ground floorperfect locationovernight parkingone bedroom suite
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great alternative to the hotels on Venice Beach.Detailed instructions for directions, self check-in and secure parking easy to follow. Convienient, hip and spotless. Couldn't ask for a better experience.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
VeniceBreezeSuites, Manager at Venice Breeze Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Thank you DebbieRJ and we look forward to your return!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

It is with a heavy heart that I have to write a review like this.

My wife and I love to travel, and because of the blessings of her work we have been fortunate enough to explore many different countries together. As such, we have had much experience in hotels and lodging, and we particularly appreciate cleanliness and great customer service. Of the places we have stayed, we would rate Villa Afrikana in Knysna, South Africa and Unitas in Prague, Czech Republic as exceptional. We don’t need Four Seasons luxury and we don’t care for resort type facilities, but we certainly would and do spend the money on comfort, cleanliness, and responsive management.

And we have never had a lodging experience as horrible as that from the Venice Breeze Suites.

After our dear daughter was born, my wife and I decided we would travel locally with our 2 month old as our first family trip. We picked Venice Breeze Suites because of the website’s photos featuring its modern and clean rooms. The rooms also include a kitchenette, which is definitely helpful for a young family with a newborn. We specifically booked the best room that they have to offer to ensure roominess for our travel crib, quality furnishings for us to enjoy, as well as the beautiful panoramic ocean view.

The first night that we were there, we checked into room 402. The room was gorgeous, just as photographed on the website. We were very pleased with everything, from the view to the mattress to the cleanliness. Unfortunately, we also realized pretty quickly that the elevator was situated just on the other side of the wall where our bed was. You see, this is not just any other elevator, but this is the kind of old elevator that would make loud rambling sounds and shakes as it goes up and down. It also has the kind of manual doors that are heavy and shut until you pull them hard to open. When you let go, they bang shut by themselves loudly. Now imagine lying down on your mattress with your head literally against such an elevator with only a wall in between. It was loud. Our room literally shakes whenever anyone goes up and down using the elevator. We could not sleep well the whole night.

The next day, we called the manager, Michael, to let him know of our situation and see if there was anything he could do. The website states that the office hours are 8am-5pm. I tried calling at 8am, no response. I walked down twice in person between 8am to 10am, nobody was there. We waited around the room and finally I found Michael in his office after 10am, when he informed me that his office hours are really 10am-5pm. I was slightly bothered by the inconsistency of the information from the website, and that my wife and I had to wait around for him with a newborn, but I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt. After my explanation of our situation, Michael informed me that they were fully occupied, but there is someone checking out at noon. He assured me that the room will be comparable in size and price as the one we are staying in, but it will be a studio (instead of a one bedroom) and it will not be near the elevator. I was thankful for his accommodation, and since we had plans for the day (and had already waited around for a few hours), he offered to move our belongings for us after the other room was ready.

That night we returned to the hotel and checked in room 405, the room that Michael assured us as “the same size and price” as room 402. The second we stepped into room 405 we knew that it could not be the same price as room 402. We looked on the website and realized that room 405 is considered “Ocean Front Panoramic View One Bedroom”. Room 402 is considered “Partial Ocean View Standard Studio”. It is definitely smaller, and it is $65/night cheaper than room 405. We were furious. Had Michael been honest with us and had let us know that it was an inferior room, we would have made a different decision. Not only that, but we had to pay the price of room 402 to stay at room 405! To add to our disgust, all the furnishings in room 405 were more dated and dirtier than room 402. The sheets and duvet cover were old, worn, and stained. There was hair on the sheets and kitchen towels. The bath towels were clean, but they were also stained from previous users. The bowls and utensils in the kitchenette had to be rewashed because they were sticky. The mattress was worn and soft and the floor was slanted that we were uncomfortable the whole night, again. My poor wife woke up in the middle of the night crying, because this was not our idea of a vacation.

The next morning, I called Michael’s cell phone because we did not want to wait until 10am again before I could get through to someone. It stated in our room that should there be an emergency we should call Michael’s cell directly. At that point, we had decided that we would talk to him and let him know he needs to refund us on at least the difference between room 402 and 405, and that we were going to leave Venice Breeze Suites early because of our bad experience. Sadly, he did not pick up after our multiple phone calls, voicemail, and email, and we once again waited until 10am for someone to show up at the office. Only this time I met Stephen instead, and he informed me that Michael was off that day. After listening to our situation, Stephen explained that only Michael can make any decision, and that he would return to the office in two days to respond to us. There was nothing else he could do for us. I was appalled. We have a baby with us, this was our first family vacation, and we felt stuck. I also tried contacting Randy, who is the manager of a couple other Venice Suites properties. He was very professional and responsive, but he also explained that there was nothing he could do since Michael is the manager of Venice Breeze Suites.

At that point, my wife and I decided that we would just pack up and go. The last straw that broke the camel’s back was when we realized that the refrigerator was broken and had no power the entire night. All our food was spoiled.

As I checked out with Stephen, my wife looked up the owners of Venice Breeze Suites and she called the direct line of the Vice President, Francyne. Immediately after my wife asked her if she was the Vice President of Venice Breeze Suites, Francyne stated that “she could not hear her” and asked if my wife could call back to “leave her name and phone number” so she could call her back. My wife was surprised because she could hear Francyne so clearly. My wife repeated Francyne’s request, “So, you would like for me to call you back and this number, and you won’t pick up, so I can call leave my name and phone number and have you call me back?” Francyne responded with, “yes, that would be great. I just can’t hear you very well right now.” Now, I am not saying that Francyne was trying to blow my wife off, but the conversation was definitely very curious. Coupled with the facts that she never called my wife back and my own dealing with Francyne that you will read later, I have drawn my own conclusions.

At the end, we left the suites two days earlier than we expected, extremely saddened by the entire situation. I called Michael again when he returned back to work. When I told him that I found out the second room was inferior and of much cheaper rate per night, he had the audacity to admit that “he knew, but since he had to freely upgrade the other people to our original room he would not refund us the difference”. This was clearly contradictory to his assurance of “same size, same price” before our move! As I had said before, had he been honest with me, I would have made a different decision. That was just bad business. He also dismissed my feedback of the stains and dirtiness and differences in mattresses, stating that “he inspected everything himself and it was fine”. He was upset with me, saying, “you’re not trying to get on my good side, and I know everyone you tried to talk to, but ultimately I’m the decision maker and I’m not going to refund you anything”. The conversation was going nowhere, and he essentially blew me off. As the last resort, I called Francyne and she basically told me “I trust Michael since he’s worked for me for 10 years and that he would be the decision maker. I was sorry that you had a bad experience, but I have never had any complaints before and that there was nothing more I could do for you”. Wow. I was utterly shocked.

A loud elevator by your head when you try to sleep. A flat out lie that causes you to stay in an inferior room but paying the superior price. A broken refrigerator that spoils all your food when you are traveling with a baby. Dirty bowls, stained linens, hair in your room, worn mattress. A manager who is also the sole decision maker is only at the office 10am-5am Monday through Friday with no intentions of picking up calls at any other time. A business owner who does not care about how her customers feel.

This concludes the most disappointing and downright shocking lodging experience of my life. I genuinely hope that they will change, because family vacations are precious and people deserve to justly receive what they had paid for. In the meanwhile, I hope to also share my experience with you that help you make a smart, informed decision for yourselves.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the elevator for a quiet night.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
26  Thank Mike H
Reviewed February 4, 2013

My husband and I booked an oceanfront corner suite here for our honeymoon because we'd already seen the sights and wanted to enjoy the beach and just enjoy the quirky neighbourhood. For this, the location's perfect. Venice Beach is a bit gritty - lots of marijuana and skateboarding around, and several homeless too. But the area still felt safe, and we appreciated the local character. Our only problem with the "locals" was one busker who started singing outside our window at 7AM, but this was just once in a 4-night stay.

Our suite was stylish and comfortable - a real home away from home. The bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom well-appointed. Everything looked exactly as on the website - it was honest! The couch was a little less fresh than I would have liked, and the hallways were less than welcoming, but this was otherwise an excellent apartment hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Blurgeshmurg
VeniceBreezeSuites, Manager at Venice Breeze Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Thank you Blurgesmurg for you honest and favorable review. Thank you for staying with us and yes we are going to be remolding the hallways soon.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Venice beach by day is really exciting, but come night, everything is closed up. In fact, you are not legally permitted on the boardwalk at night. The hotel has a side-side entrance, so you are not locked out. This is not the hotel's fault, but you may want to know this if you like night life. The suite was good. There are no service, so if you want a clean towel, you have to launder it yourself. and if you want your suite cleaned, you have to do it yourself.
There are coin-operated laundry machines in the building.
That being said, wake up in the morning go outside and you are in one of the most splendid beaches in the world. And there is no end to people watching. . .

Room Tip: WE had a no-view suite, so when you book you should request a view suite.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
VeniceBreezeSuites, Manager at Venice Breeze Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Thank you for visiting the Venice Breeze Suites, and yes, the boardwalk closes from midnight to 5am to loitering. We do advertise that we are an extended stay hotel with office hours from 10am to 5pm and we are reachable 24 hours a day. We also advertise that there is only weekly maid service, so yes if you stay under a week there will be no service available. We do offer extra cleaning for a fee if requested. All of this is in our contract that we ask you review upon arrival. We hope you will come back and visit us again soon.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

First of all: In my opinion Venice Beach is one of the safest places in Los Angeles. We stayed five weeks and we never had any problems being outside when it was dark. The Venice Boardwalk has many streetlamps and so its nit a problem to walk around in the darkness.
We spent our holidays in July at the Venice Breeze Suites after reading all these good ratings here. And they were all right.
Mike and Cindy, the two managers of the Apartments, were such great people. If you had any kind of problem, they helped you out, no matter what time of the day it was. One night we forgot our keycards inside the room, we called their number and just a second later they opened the door for us. Five days before we left, our safe did not work anymore and it was not possible to open it. So Mike called the mechanic and he opened the safe for us with an angle grinder. So thanks for all kinds of these things.
Coming to the Suites: The rooms are pretty nice. The shower is – as mentioned – very big and really good. The size of the suites is for two people enough, but if you want to hang out with some friends, the rooms are way to small. But then you can go up to the roof or just anywhere on the boardwalk. The beds were really comfortable and all in all the rooms were very clean. We kind of missed a real cupboard to store our clothes, so we had to live out of our suitcases, but for five weeks it was ok. The windows were very thin, so if somebody is talking very loud outside the street, you can hear it. But although it was summer, that didnt happen a lot.
Only one thing was really bad. At first we had a studio apartment on the first floor. It was right next to the backdoor, so it was very loud when somebody got in. But the really annoying point was that the big ash barrel of the breeze suites was below the windows of the apartment so the whole room had these stinky smell of trash. That was disgusting, but unfortunally it was no problem for Mike and Cindy to change us to a One-Bedroom-Apartment in the second floor.
In the end i have to say that the roof-terrace was pretty much the best thing of the whole suites. It was possible to hang out every day up there and it was so beautiful. We had like one or two bbqs every week, because it was that nice. On the 4th of July Mike and Cindy had a bbq and fireworks with their friends and invited us to celebrate with them. Once again: Thanks for all.
We didnt use the car garage so i cant say anything about that. But the next Bus Station is just two streets away from the Suites and so your pretty fast in Santa Monica or anywhere else in LA. Five weeks without a car in Los Angeles worked this way pretty good.
So all in all i can recommend this accommodation, you will love your stay right in the sands of the Venice Beach.

Room Tip: All rooms on the floors 2,3 and 4. The first floor can be quiet noisy.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank globetrotterHH013

We are glad you enjoyed your stay at the Breeze and all we have to offer in the heart of Venice! We had a great summer last year and hope this summer will be as good and you can come back to visit!