“It's pretty obvious that the food here is...”
Review of Gjelina

Dining style: Home Style
Neighborhood: Venice
Cross street: Milwood
Reviewed October 16, 2010

It's pretty obvious that the food here is spot-on amazing. After all, that's the one element you have to get right. They did. But I am blown away that out of all the reviews I have read so far, none have mentioned how god-awful the hostesses are!

If it was a one time thing with one person who had a bad day, I would completely understand. But rude and elitist tone, being hung up on, being told "too bad" when trying my hardest to make a reservation for anything before 10pm 4 out of 4 times and getting a different rude hostess each time?? C'mon.

I work in this industry in this town and it takes A LOT for me not to understand where someone is coming from. I am not difficult and have never before been compelled to write a review like this, but behavior like that can go on for only so long, before you start to think its not a hostess issue, but instead a company flaw. It just happens too frequently (i have several friends with the same story) and it's too in-your-face for it not to be.

So next time I call four weeks out for a Tuesday night 8pm reservation and without skipping a beat you say sorry we are fully booked, I just may a.) Call u out on that and b.) Ask you to at least politely tell me that and that you'd love to still help me out since I do plan on spending money there.

4  Thank lylescript

Reviewed October 11, 2010

Gjelina is great for those who would like to have a rustic mediterranean inspired tapas style dinner, it's nice to taste many dishes and share them with everyone sitting at your table.

You could be sitting next to a big Hollywood star, or you could be sitting next to a family, a group of friendly surfers or next to a girl who would like to share her thoughts on her newest pair of "Loubies " ;)
Yes, Gjelina is the gathering of beautiful and hip people each in their own way!

The food is purely and organically delicious, there is a lot to choose from and the menu can get a bit long to go through if you are not too familiar with the ingredients, however, there is a dish to suit everyone, I would recommend:

Pork Belly
Pizza with Burrata and Zucchine
Mushroom toast with Truffle oil
Green Garbanzo with Feta

When you first arrive without a reservation the hostess seems to like making you feel like
you should't eat here by saying that you will have to wait at least 2 hours before sitting down, when in fact it is never more than 1 hour wait, a little smile and more friendliness from the staff could definitely not hurt anyone!!

It can get very loud in there and it can be hard to have a proper conversation but gjelina is gjelina and we go there for the food :)

1  Thank Tembolac
Reviewed August 26, 2010

We first loved the place ... very friendly and accomodating service, good food. It was, however, very disappointing when I had to pay USD 5 for two coffee spoons of extra vinegar.

2  Thank GZO_10
Reviewed June 12, 2010

Good food, but not good enough to justify a four wk wait for a rezzie for two people on a Friday nite at a time other than 5pm. Good veg, meat & fish options...but this is def a 'no modifications' venue.

1  Thank PalisadesDaisy
Reviewed April 28, 2010

We arrived at 5:15 and hoped for a seat at the " community table" as reservations are near and dear to get. We lucked out. They do not start serving until 5:30 so I had a local brew and we waited while talking to our neighbors. The waiter came over promptly at 5:00, gave us our menus and answered any questions that we had. We had a salad, two appetizers and a salad., plus 3 beers and a dessert. $80.00 not including tip. WELL WORH IT! I would go back in a minute. The salad was great, we had the hen mushroom toast ( fabulous) and gnochi and split a marghareta pizza and the butterscotch pudding. All were wonderful. Our waiter was super! patient, answered all questions and attentive.