“OMG I am a better person for having eaten here!!!”
Review of Gjelina

Dining style: Home Style
Neighborhood: Venice
Cross street: Milwood
Reviewed April 30, 2012

This was a WOW experience. We hadn't booked and so waited two hours for a table.... absolutely worth the wait, but if you can plan ahead, definitely make a booking here - waiting list is I think weeks long, so don't wait! And don't leave without having the Pot De Creme dessert, best dessert I have had EVER.

Reviewed April 29, 2012

great decor/style, AMAZING pizza, and kind service, but drinks were very expensive and variety was unimpressive. crowded but still worth experiencing.

Reviewed April 18, 2012

3 friends and myself had lunch at Gjelina on a Wednesday. We arrived at 12pm to get a table hoping to not have a wait. We were seated immediately at, what we thought, was the best table in the house-front of the restaurant by the windows. We were the only table in that corner, so it was cozy and private and we could actually hear ourselves talk-because that's what ladies do at lunch! The people watching wasn't bad either, there were lots of people walking by, etc... Our server was excellent (wish I'd gotten his name). We asked for recommendations and he happily offered. I think we ordered everything he recommended. Arugula and goat cheese pizza, kale salad (I think this is their signature dish), an artichoke/burrata starter, a roasted cauliflower dish and a mushroom, caramelized onion, truffle pizza. The pizzas are delicious-almost like flatbread. We shared all the dishes and every one of them was fantastic! I don't think a crumb was left when we finished. Oh, and the rhubarb and strawberry crumble was to die for. It came to the table piping hot with a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream on top.
Other reviews for this restaurant stated that the service was slow and came with an attitude. We didn't find this to be the case at all. Our experience was a wonderful one.
My advice, if you want to have lunch at this restaurant-go early. Around 1pm, it got very crowded and the wait time for a table was long. Parking can be difficult in the area, but I found a public valet lot across the street for $7. It was worth it.
For fresh, seasonal, delicious food and helpful, friendly service, I wholeheartedly recommend Gjelina!

Reviewed April 18, 2012

Gjelina is known as one of the best restaurants on Abbot Kinney Blvd. There is almost always a flock of people waiting outside for a table. As a local, I avoided the place for a while - put off by the long wait and the hype.

But, after finally having lunch last week, I realize I was missing out. There's a reason for the line - The menu is rustic, creative and absolutely delicious. Definitely worth the wait. GTA (Gjelina Take Away) next door is also good.

I recommend reservations. Or, at least, expect a 20 - 45 minute wait for weekday lunch.

Reviewed April 16, 2012

Well, after hearing about this place for quite some time, we finally went last night. I will say that it probably would have gotten 2 stars but for the competent and nice hostess who dealt with our reservation change and arranged for a cake and candle for my companion's birthday. She (and the smiling man who seated us) made the experience much better than it really could have been.
First off, the noise level. It is VERY loud. We were in the (small) main part where there is a bar and community tables as well as one long row of tables along a wall. There was also a patio, which looks fairly nice, but again, smallish. The tables are VERY close and with that and the
noise, any real conversation was next to impossible. Then the waitress. She waited on us in a prompt fashion, which was fine. She asked if we wanted drinks, which we ordered, then immediately said, "Do you know what you want?" As we had looked online at the menu, and we don't eat meat, we did in fact know what we were going to order. But it struck me as "I want you
out quickly so I can turn this table over and make more money." Having been a waitress in my younger days, I know the drill, but it was off-putting right off the bat. This is, after all, a rather expensive place to eat, even if it is just a glorified bar, and we were celebrating a special day. My reaction was ug. And the way that the tables are lined up and so close, I was BACK TO the
waitress with no real room to turn to look at her! It was strange not to be able to really look at the waitress' face the whole night. Also off-putting.
The food was average. I read a lot of reviews online and the things we ordered had been recommended by others. But I found all of the food to be too average, too expensive and the place too loud and too close, and the service borderline rude. Sadly.
We did get the cake and candle...barely. After our dinner plates were cleared, we waited at least
10-15 minutes for the waitress to bring the dessert menu. She never did. Instead, she hurriedly threw the chocolate cake and candle on the table, while muttering "I meant to get this earlier..." She never said "Happy Birthday" or mentioned his name, although I had told them. It was cold.
She asked if we wanted coffee. I said yes. It never came. Nor did the dessert menu, as I had told the hostess we would order dessert as well as the cake. She left the check with the cake... Get
out...The end was so abrupt that I didn't realize until later that I never got my coffee! I am SURE we were charged for it though.
Being from New England, I see the pattern of Hollywood hype that attaches to places around here. I felt this was another instance of that: mostly hype. They seem to believe it, unfortunately. They need to revisit that or they will soon be yesterday's paper.

2  Thank mvlNewHampshire