“overall a good stay at the Farmer's Daughter”

Farmer's Daughter Hotel
Ranked #26 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
Northampton, United Kingdom
“overall a good stay at the Farmer's Daughter”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2005

We booked all our hotels for our 2 and a half week trip around California using tripadvisor and I would say that for this hotel as for the others where we stayed that the previous reviews were accurate.

Valet parking was fine, check in was efficient but once in our room we realised we had been allocated a smoking room rather than the non-smoking room we had requested. By then we had unpacked and the smell wasn't so bad as to attempt to move but this seems to be an example of the slightly odd customer service style of this hotel. Overall everything seems to run pretty smoothly but the odd thing goes wrong. Another example: we purchased internet access for something trivial like $3.50. On checkout it hadn't been added to our bill, so we pointed this out and paid but when we got home we found they had taken the payment from our credit card again after we had left.

Decor of the room and reception was excellent and we loved the location, right opposite the farmer's market. The courtyard was a really pleasant place to relax in and once they have a bar open I'm sure it will be even better.

• Stayed October 2005
6 Thank emmadaisysmum

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2005

Stayed 4 nights in Dec 06-10 , rooms are big enough and well decorated, we were on the highest floor, at night we could here some machinery on the roof, besides that everything was great, only bummer, the restaurant is still not open, but lots of places to eat at for breakfast, lunch and dinner, across the street at Farmers Market which is great. also a Savon drug store open 24 hrs 1 block away. I however did not see any famous people like posted on this forum by someone else.

• Stayed December 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2005

I stayed at this hotel after booking it as a surprise for an anniversary present. My boyfriend and I are both from LA, but just wanted a change of pace for our anniversary weekend. I used to live in the area and always remembered how they had revamped the hotel in recent years. I loved the name (its always stuck out in my head) and jumped on the opportunity to finally spend a night there! One of my favorites about this hotel is the location--across the street from the tasty delights at the Farmer's Market! It was a great treat to wake up and walk over to our favorite crepe stand in the market!

It truly was a boutique experience! The hotel itself was clean, fairly modern, and completely cutesy. I was surprised to find a stereo in the room and found the houty-touty LA magazines that were provided great fun! The rocking recliner and portraits of cows and hens were a nice touch! Everything in the hotel is nicely branded as the Farmer's Daughter silhouette could be found everywhere--from the front of the hotel to the notepads in the rooms to the copper elevator interior. The weird part was our bathroom--it was completely plain white, non-descript and didn't have any farmer/country/color theme to it at all (unlike the rest of the hotel.) It seemed a bit unfinished, but it was clean otherwise.

After reading reviews where people complained about noise, I was worried. But I have to say it was really really quiet when the windows and doors were closed.

My one concern was the reservation system. I had asked for a room that would accommodate a dog when I made the reservation. The woman at the reservation service (a separate service from the actual hotel) told me that it was no problem and that I would just have to tell the front desk. Luckily I confirmed my reservation a few days later just to make sure everything would go smoothly. UNFORTUNATELY, the hotel told me that they only have two rooms that are pet friendly and those are generally booked up way in advance. I was then forced to find a sitter for my boyfriend's dog. It kind of put a kink in my original plans, but was my only gripe with the hotel. I imagine that the main issue is the disconnect with a generic reservation service and the hotel staff.

Other than that, I would go back to the Farmer's Daughter!

• Stayed October 2005
4 Thank superbonbon99
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2005

Stayed here for a few days in Feb 04 on our way home from NYC to Sydney. Good alternative to those big high rise hotels were your just a room number. Nice room with individual touches ! DVD player was a great to have, Really helpful with directions and tips on local resturants. Being across the road from CBS, a lot of people who stayed there have been on the Price is Right. They have a wall full of photos showing what their guests have won ! Great location for sightseeing around LA. Easy drive to and from LAX. Would stay there again !

• Stayed February 2004
2 Thank Randomscreennamegene
Fair Lawn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2005

My wife and I stayed at The Farmer's Daughter for four nights while visiting our son who is completing a senior year internship in L.A. What a pleasant surprise!
Besides having a great location (just across the street from the Farmer's Market and The Grove), the hotel has a wonderful rustic theme that welcomes you the moment you walk in the door. Decorated in "barnyard chic", the rooms have simulated barn plank floors, sink faucets that recreate farm pumps, distressed wood furniture, and whimsical barnyard wallpaper and decorations.
The room was clean, the staff was helpful and the price is so reasonable. Once the on-site restaurant is finished by the end of the year, the Farmer's Daughter will have everything for a comprehensive hotel experience. We look forward to returning the next time we are in Los Angeles.

• Stayed November 2005
3 Thank PrincipalTraveler
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2005

This was my 2nd time staying at Farmers Daughter. Was previously here in March 2005. So, i guess the fact that I came back for a 2nd stay says something.

We were going to the Price is Right - so we only stayed here one night. You absolutely cannot beat the location if you are going to TPIR. Its directly across the street - which is especially convenient when you're waiting in line at 4:30am. Also, its so close to The Grove / Farmers Market - there are a lot of nice shops and restaurants here...again, just walk across the street.

The rooms are decorated in country kitsch theme. Gingham, linoleum hardwoods, etc. Clean and cute. The lobby area is a mix of country flair with modern accents. Very open and breezy.

Since we were checking out early - the hotel worked well with us so that we could leave our car there and pay valet, plus check our luggage at the desk and pick up when we finished with TPIR. it all worked out very nicely.

Would recommend staying here!

• Stayed November 2005
4 Thank Pharmgrrrl
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the FD for three nights this week -- it was great! We stayed in a king deluxe room that was funky/chic and roomy...spotlessly clean and perfectly comfy.

Check in was easy, the location is fantastic (we had meetings all over LA and it was central to everything), parking was reasonable ($10 a day with in&out), and the staff was nice. The kitschy theme of the hotel is fun and one they're really committed to -- I felt like we were in the next to-be-discovered hot spot in LA.

One fascinating quirk of the hotel is Ted, front desk clerk and in-house "The Price is Right!" specialist. If you're around some night at 10:25 p.m., DO NOT MISS his treatise on how to get on TPIR as a contestant. It is a hoot. And it works! The show films at the CBS studios right across the street, so it's a convenient tourist activity for folks at the FD. I suspect they will soon have pilgrimages of people desperate to be contestants who will stay here... There are dozens of pictures in this lobby shrine of all the contestants who have won stuff on it, with his tutelage of course. I might have not believed it, except when we were checking in, a girl was on the phone in the open air lobby (very cool!) telling her mom that she'd just won $7000! Funny, and sweet.

The open air lobby was really cool and aesthetically appealing & the pool looked clean and inviting, but it was cool during our visit and not really swimming or hanging outside kind of weather. The only drawbacks to our visit -- and these were minor inconveniences -- were that the free Wifi signal was very weak and spotty in the room, we had better luck in the outdoor seating areas (but as I mentioned, it was kind of chilly). They had a total shut down one day, so perhaps they were working on the system. Also, there was construction happening for a (needed) bar/restaurant on the premises. The banging was kind of a drag, but never before 9 a.m. and we weren't in the room much anyway. Having a restaurant right there would be a perfect addition to this funky cool spot.

And the Farmer's Market across the street (and The Grove shopping complex) was just fantastic. We walked over for a number of meals and had great inexpensive food every time. (Oh -- except one morning we went to Cantor's, a 24 hour legendary deli a few blocks north -- an experience, to be sure, but not one I'd ever repeat. Try the Kokomo? Cafe on the South end of the Farmer's Market. KILLER Pancakes and great southern inspired dishes.) Another terrific place is the "Authentic Cafe" on Curson & Fairfax, 1/2 block north and a few blocks west of the hotel...this was a FANTASTIC dinner of south american cuisine -- herbed chicken with rice & beans and plantains, etc -- gorgeous food for a good price, about $60 with wine and tip.

We plan on making the FD the place we stay when in LA, which is quite often. It's just great: mellow, quirky, comfy, and in the best location we could imagine.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business