“Funky little hotel, great location and great staff too..”

Farmer's Daughter Hotel
Ranked #22 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Myself and my wife stayed here for 5 nights as part of our California honeymoon adventure in July. The hotel provided the perfect location to explore LA from and the close proximity to the Farmers Market meant that there are countless doorstep restaurants for foodies to choose from for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The hotels own Tart restaurant serves up great food and cocktails, and the buzzy, hipster crowd gather for Sunday brunch and the whole courtyard comes alive. We highly recommend having a car and a friendly GPS to best explore LA, there is a efficient 24hr valet service available at an extra charge, but this is understandable for such a central and boutique location. We love to explore cities on foot and even attempted LA one morning from the hotel. You won't get very far, but Beverly Boulevard is a 20min walk away to explore some great galleries and design shops which was well worth the effort. Getting back to the hotel, the rooms are clean and kitch with adequate room for two and the central courtyard provides a great place to relax, catch some LA sun and play a bit of fuzz ball too. The staff are extremely helpful and really relaxed, we enjoyed getting to know them and found out insider tips for to-do's when in LA. We will certainly stay again on our next LA visit

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank JJA_81
There are newer reviews for Farmer's Daughter Hotel

Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel and staff. Rooms are super cute. The restaurant has bottomless mimosas and Bloody Mary's. Definitely would stay there again!! Everyone that worked there was helpful and friendly. The hotel was quiet and clean. Walking distance to shops, farmer's market, and restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank melissatsir
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Everything about this place is unique & fun, and we were so impressed by the cleanliness throughout. They thought of every detail in the redesign--so great! All of the staff was so friendly & helpful, and I loved having my cappuccino outside in the morning (& also loved the outdoor area with the string lights in the evening). Also, the location is great! My only minor complaint in the standard room was that the beds could have been a bit more comfortable, but...all things considered we had a great stay & would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Marla B
Reviewed June 22, 2014

I'm typically a Marriott or Hiton girl, and was nervous when my colleague suggested this hotel. I shouldn't have been. It's quirky, laid back, and fun. We've all heard of wine hour, but here you have Whiskey Hour! This hotel is conveniently located in West LA, across the street from the Farmers Market, the Grove shopping and CBS studios...The Price is Right anyone?

Superb staff, all very helpful and lovely, always introducing themselves and remembering my name. The food was great, the cocktails wonderful. The décor is super funky and fun. I wish I had a little more space in the sink area, and the towels were thin, but that didn't detract from my love of this hotel.

There is some updating going on, and my room had a view of the back alley, but when on property I was either sleeping or enjoying the ambiance of the lobby / restaurant / patio areas.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 19, 2014

My husband and I stayed for two nights in June. When I stay in a hotel I want it to be as nice or nicer than my home but I did not feel this was the case at the farmers daughter in L.A.. It looks like a craft project gone wrong. It really isn't luxurious as it is an old motel converted. The glue down wood vinyl flooring just looks cheap. Sounds like a cute idea but the rooms look like an idea done very cheap. I will have to say the location is good and the bed was extremely comfortable but that is as positive as I can be. Stayed out in the desert at a resort called the Riveria and it was very plush for the same money-just a beautiful resort. For the money we would not stay here again. This is just our opinion.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the main building!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 14, 2014

On my third trip to the States (from New Zealand) this is by far the coolest hotel I've ever stayed at while in LA!!
So much charm and character, the detailing is perfect. As soon as you walk in to the reception area there is a little collection of vintage clothes, jewellery and shoes that catch your eye and they have a plate of complimentary chocolate chip cookies and iced tea. There are bikes for hire outside and a neat little outdoor area by the hotel restaurant; TART to sit and relax.
We only stayed here 1 night, as it was towards the end of our trip and were looking to spend a bit more on something more unique and I only wished I had discovered this place earlier.
The rooms are funky and homely and the decor is so well put-together (if you appreciate that sort of thing). We found the room to be a generous size and I loved the rocking chair!
It's walking distance to The Grove and Framer's Market and there is a bus stop handy to get to Hollywood boulevard, which takes about 20mins.
I would definitely recommend this place, I absolutely loved everything about it and will be sure to stay here again! :)

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at this hotel and couldn't have been happier (well apart from spotty internet in our room, still not sure why that was) with our stay. We were coming to LA for our anniversary and to see the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson before he departs the airways - this hotel was a great find and we loved our stay.

Location: As in real estate the best part about this hotel is location, location, location. It is located almost directly across the street from CBS Television City. If you were planning to come to LA to see a show this is a fantastic spot. What we found, however, was that the location was even better than its proximity to CBS. You are also almost across the street (very short walk) from the LA Farmer's Market and The Grove shopping center. Both of these were wonderful finds and we enjoyed wandering through for the shopping and the excellent food that could be had at the farmer's market. If you wanted to sample LA you could easily have two days worth of fun by seeing what was just across the street from the hotel. You also are a mild walk (2 miles?) away from Santa Monica Blvd and you can pick up a 217 bus across the street to take you up to the main sites (Chinese theater, etc). If you are worried about costs this is a great place as there is a ton you can see and do without having to worry about investing in a car rental or paying for taxis (even a taxi back from Melrose where we had dinner was only $6). A fantastic location that got better each night we stayed.

Rooms: I get the sense that this is the critique of people which, while I can see it, I think is more than outweighed by everything else. The key to note about this place is that it is an older hotel (probably originally built in the 50s/60s?) which the owners have taken over and tried to put their own spin on with the Farmer's Daughter motif. So you are getting a "sparse" hotel on that front, but you are gaining so much more. Also, let me caution by what I mean by "sparse". In our room we had a large and very comfortable king bed, a sitting chair, a bathroom, TV/DVD player, fridge. All fit with the theme of the hotel (linen bed-spread, a farmer's "look" to the place) and so it wasn't "fancy" but nothing was bad about the room. I think some of the complaints stem from the fact the rooms don't look like something out of a hotel catalog to which I respond - do you need it to be? We got a very comfortable bed that had a quirky look to it (big oversized decorative leather pillows with a rooster on the front) but it was still a bed that gave us a good night's rest. The tv worked just fine and was a good enough size to be seen from the bed - could it have been some 50" behemoth on a TV stand from Ethan Allen? I guess, but I don't know what "more" I would have gotten out of that. The bathroom was functional, but we did have name brand (bigelow) bath products available every day.

I will note that if you are concerned about this - check out the rooms online and also look to book the "Robin Rooms" which are the most up-to-date in terms of furnishings. At the same time they are doing work on updating all their deluxe rooms so I think they are on a kick of updating/addressing some of those concerns. I don't really think they are an issue, but there you go.

Amenities: Beyond the location the hotel offers a great deal of amenities that made it such a pleasant stay. When you check in they have an area set aside with sweet-tea and chips available throughout the day, which they they switch to warm chocolate-chip cookies from 4pm onwards. That was a great treat that we probably didn't indulge in enough if only because we were full from all the other fine food we were eating on our trip. I will note the cookies don't just get left at 4pm as even going by later for a late-night snack they had fresh/warm cookies available.

There is a pool as well as a ping-pong and fooseball table available to use as well as a computer/printer in case you need to print off airplane tickets. They even have an area selling clothing - both tied to the hotel and what seems to be local clothing stores. Someone else described the hotel as if Anthropologie decided to let you spend the night and I think that fits - a very cool "vibe" to the place.

Another amenity worth mentioning is that at 5pm they offer a free whiskey tasting. I was intrigued by this but was not expecting how nice a service it was. An attendant serves whiskey from a little stand with a very nice selection (Red Hill, Knobs Creek, a few others I'd not heard of) and does not skimp on the pours. The whiskey hour was a wonderful way to relax after our long flight to LA on the day of check-in and I got the clear sense I could have come back for as many drinks as I wanted.

One last amenity - especially if you are interested at shows at CBS - is that they do offer tickets to the Late Late Show. Simply ask behind the desk and if you are still on the "waitlist" with 1iota you can take those tickets. The advice was to arrive by 2:30 with those tickets to get in line and it was a great feature as it allowed us to see Craig Ferguson twice, rather than the one show e had managed to get tickets. I have to imagine they have other tickets available (The Price is Right seems a popular show for patrons of Farmers Daughter) so be sure to ask once you check in.

Service: I have to say that this is where the hotel really shined. The staff was always extremely helpful and very attentive to our needs. When we were trying to figure out whether or not the tickets the hotel had "counted" (there was some confusion) the desk attendant was extremely helpful and willing to try and call CBS to find out details for us. When we were planning a day excursion the desk was happy to try and give us information and was more than happy to call to arrange a pick-up from one of the services if we needed it. In sum, I knew that if I had any questions or concerns I could take it to the desk and someone would care. They might not be able to answer my question or help me as much as I might have wanted, but I always knew I would not be blown off and they'd do their best to accommodate me. The exceptional service, along with all the amenities and vibe of the hotel, really made it a pleasant stay.

I can't say enough for this hotel and I would hope you'd look past any concerns about "spartan" rooms to really revel in the prime location and prime service/amenities this hotel offers. Very highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple