“Thank God, a hotel with a personality...”

Farmer's Daughter Hotel
Ranked #22 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
“Thank God, a hotel with a personality...”
Reviewed June 10, 2012 via mobile

Modern hotels are all the same, once you're inside you should be anywhere in the world. This could not be further from the case with the Farmer's Daughter. This quirky old Motel which has been given a crazy face lift in a town where face lifts often go a little too far is perfect. It begins with friendly staff, cookies and lemonade in reception to the sound of tweeting budgies. Rooms are spacious, comfortable and clean. There is a small pool ideal for soaking those tired feet filled with a flock of rubber ducks. The restaurant TART serves proper home comfort food which is backed up with a twisted drinks menu, watch out for bottomless mimossa's. Also if you are crazy enough, throw yourself in the pool to receive half off your bill (you must be fully clothed. I'd stuck my feet in the pool earlier so decided it was best to pay rather than get hypothermia) the decor is kitch country Americana which has been given a fresh and considered approach by the designers, architects and the owner who is very friendly and engaged with his guests. It is in a great location, away from the tourist tat of Hollywood but close enough if you fancy walking down Hollywood Boulevard. For shoppers its within easy walking distance of Melrose Avenue where you'll find high end designers. More importantly the hotel is located just across the street from the old farmers market where you can find the most amazing array of fresh produce. Also close by is The Grove shopping centre .

I loved this hotel and would definitely reccommend it to anyone wanting a hotel with a soul.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I loved my stay here. I've stayed at countless hotels in LA. Usually I opt for more upscale places, but I had been eying this place for a couple of years, and finally pulled the trigger. Glad I did. It is a simple place. Basically a motel, that has been given a hipster/country makeover. It has a pool, but it's pretty small. I'm sure it would be nice for kids to dip into in a hot day. The restaurant, Tart, is in the courtyard. They have cheep happy hour, which is welcomed after a long hot day of meetings. The food was good, although there are a ton of food options walking distance to this place. breakfast is better than dinner, but they do have a ping pong, and fooseball table.

It isn't flashy hotel, but it is fun. They have free cookies and lemonade in the lobby. Loner bikes, if you want to go for a ride. Comfy beds. Small flat screen tv, free wifi and fridge. Again, this is a renovated MOTEL. So if you can't live without a gym, pay per view, or a business centre, then look elsewhere.

The location is great. Right across the street from the farmers market, and the Grove (hip outdoor. Shopping centre). 15 min walk to great bars and shopping on Melrose. I've never walked so much in LA, because so few things are walking distance.

So what are some of the cons of this place? I'd say the biggest con is the price. I got a good deal at 130 a night, but it frequently jumps to over 200 a night. For 200+ a night there are a lot of decent options in LA, and the boutique Motel seems a little less reasonable. Parking is around $20 a day, but I'm loathed to say that is a critique, as most hotels in the area charge 30+ a night for parking.

If you want a pampered hotel experience, then book a room at the W. Me? I'll be booking here, and using the 200 I save on cocktails, and shopping.

If you get a good rate then this is a fantastic option.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank McFlying
San Francisco
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We were extremely happy with our stay. The staff was very friendly. Parking was reasonable for the area. The room had a quirky charm and plenty of space. The outdoor eating area and pool were nice as well, though we didn't get a chance to use them.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I have visited LA many times and stayed with friends and in other boutique hotels,but the Farmer's Daughter was an ideal place and location for the following reasons: 1) It was great to be able to walk to the Farmer's Market and other stores that are in close proximity to the hotel, without the need for a car,as needed. 2) I was centrally located to everything I needed and had to do on this particular business trip. 3) The rooms were immaculate and the customer service was exceptional. 4) Everyone was warm, friendly, helpful and resourceful. 5)The landscape of the interior common spaces was relaxing, beautiful and simple provided a sense of having your own oasis in the middle of a busy area. 6) The food at TART, as well as the service, was terrific. The food was fresh, delicious and exceeded my expectations.7) By the end of my three days and nights, I really didnt' want to leave because I was very comfortable. My only complaint was that I think the Farmer's Daughter should identify a different soap company for it's in house toiletries and I think that there should be more than one complimentary bottle of water provided upon arrival and a small bowl of fresh fruit.

Room Tip: Simply ask as many questions as possible.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
picataggio, Owner at Farmer's Daughter Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2012
Thank you for the all the kind words.

We are working on our own line of Soap Amenities. We hope to have that wrapped up in anther month or two.

We do one bottle of water for each guest that checks in and normally will never deny a request when a guest passing by for anther bottle :)

Fresh Fruit, did not think of that. I love the idea!! We will look into that - I am sure knowing this county the health department will have plenty to say.

We do offer fresh baked cookies and lemonade in the lobby, which are honestly just the end of me because that cookie smell just speaks to me ....

Safe travels and we look forward to seeing you again...
Ventura
Reviewed May 18, 2012

I have never been more disappointed in a company's customer service than I have today. I received an deal e-mail for this hotel. I looked at the company's website and was excited about trying a new local hotel and restaurant. I made a point to look at the details so I would know what the limitations were for the deal. I was very interested in the No Tell Room and I decided that I would take the plunge and purchase the deal.

I reserved the room only to hear back from the reservations clerk on my voicemail stating that the deal does not apply to suites. I clearly read the restrictions prior to my purchase and reservations. I was careful in reading the property's website that was advertised to make sure that I was booking within the guidelines of the offered deal.

The deal is clear about what it offered. It clearly stated that I am required to pay a green fee, the blackout dates, and the fact that the voucher cannot be used for SUITES. The property's website in NO WAY indicates that the No Tell Room is anything but a ROOM. The hotel offers single rooms, double rooms, no tell room, and farmers suites. Anyone that reads the hotel website could righteously say that the farmer's suite is not part of the deal, but the other ROOMS are within the parameters of the deal offered. The description of the No Tell Room on the hotel website in no way indicates that it is a suite, but only references it as a ROOM. It does not indicated that it has more than one room, possibly indicating a suite. There is no reference anywhere on the hotel website that this ROOM is a suite. The deal does not restrict any of the rooms, it only says that the customer cannot use it for a suite.

I contacted the Farmer's Daughter Hotel and received the worst service. The operator answered and I requested the reservation department. She stated that she could help me. I informed her of my voicemail and she abruptly stated that the deal was no good for suites. I tried to tell her about the verbiage on the deal website and their own website and she cut me off stating that it is not good on a suite. Frustrated, I asked for the General Manager of the property.

I was transferred to Dan (unknown last name), who stated that he was the GM of the Farmer's Daughter. He was abrupt and constantly interrupted as I told him my plight. He repeatedly stated that it didn't matter what the website stated, that their in-house computer systems indicate the the No Tell Room is a suite. When I tried to tell him that his website does not indicate this, he stated that he was still not going to honor the deal for that room. When I shared my frustrations with Farmer's Daughter not standing by their advertised work, Dan told me that he was still not going to honor what was advertised.

This is a company who doesn't stand behind their advertising and will never have my business.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank S D
picataggio, Owner at Farmer's Daughter Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2012
I am sorry to read you went through such an experience.

Clearly we did not spell the terms well enough and I thank you for pointing that out, I have our GM calling the 3rd party to clarify. I do show that is does say NO SUITS, but you are correct in pointing out the it did not say NO TELL ROOM and the the reality is the offer should say the exact room types being offered. Which are STANDARD and DELUX...
Essex
Reviewed May 10, 2012

My daughter and a friend stayed here for the sole purpose of location. We were going to the Price is Right and wanted to be close. I can't say enough nice things about the staff. After a long flight we were greeted with water and fresh baked cookies. Awesome!!! Room is adequate nothing fancy but clean with modern conviences of wifi and dvd and ipod dock, flat screen and fridge.
Staff always had a smile and very helpful. Tim at front desk and Micheal from the restaurant went out of there way with jokes and suggestions.
Hal gave us tips as he is an expert at the Price is Right and gave us a private seminar. Although Drew did not call me to come on down we had fun in the sun.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Abbeville, Alabama
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I celebrated my 65th birthday in Los Angeles the week of May 1, 2012. My "home away from home" hotel is the Farmer's Daughter. This hotel is my favorite for many reasons: the rooms are big and neat and well-cared for daily; the staff makes you feel part of a family; the rates are SO reasonable; the TART Restaurant is so delicious and their staff goes out of the way to accommodate; the location is the best ever with the Farmer's Market and the Grove right across the street plus bakeries and restaurants within walking distance -- all kinds, including the famous Canter's Restaurant; the hotel has wonderful homemade cookies from TART and lemonade twice a day and Kettle chips during the day!

Room Tip: I love the third floor -- great view and quiet!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends