“Clean, comfortable, good value”

Saharan Motor Hotel
Ranked #191 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel on and off for a month as I used it as my base while travelling to other states. I found it very clean and comfortable and very good value for money.
The room was great. Even though hotel is situated on a main road which is busy all night, I slept very well and am usually a light sleeper. Breakfast served between 7-9. Toast, bagels, fresh waffles, coffee and tea. A simple selection but plenty for the cost of the hotel and many places do not provide breakfast so to me was a bonus. Hotel grounds were kept very clean as I saw caretaker cleaning, sweeping, tending to plants all day. Although I did not use the pool as it was a bit cold for me, it was very clean and many people were using it. The location is absolutely perfect! A great supermarket, Ralphs, which I made good use of, is open 24 hours. Hollywood walk of fame is 10 minute walk away. For those who like a nice walk in the morning, Runyon Canyon is a 10-15 minute walk away. I would recommend this hotel for those looking for a place to stay that is a great price for the location, clean, comfortable and within close walking distance to hollywood walk of fame, Graumans chinese theatre, madame taussauds and other attractions. I took several tours while I was staying, and all tour companies I used pick up and drop off at this hotel. Tours can also be organised through this hotel which also offer a discount on some tours if booked through this hotel. Although a couple of the front desk staff lacked personality, they were quite knowledgeable on buses and tours etc. On 2 occasions I was given an extra hour checkout time at no cost as I had been staying there a while. There was one really good front of desk person, Tito, who was extremely helpful and rang around a few tours for me finding best prices. I would highly recommend this hotel whether for short or long stay.

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs overlooking pool are nice. If you would like to change rooms once there the staff are...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank MEGAN R
There are newer reviews for Saharan Motor Hotel

Reviewed November 7, 2013

This is possibly the WORSE hotel I have ever had to endure. I am extremely well travelled as I have stayed in many different hotels around the world and know a bad hotel but this place is really something else.

I stayed there a few weeks ago whilst being pregnant and got savaged by BED BUGS. The obnoxious (and that is the kindest word I can find for them) staff failed to take any responsibility or show any concern at the severity of the painful bites I had experienced and what's more, refused to refund the cost of the room despite my condition or the fact that it had been caused at their establishment.

I then had to pay substantial medical bills, as I was visiting the USA, which I am currently reclaiming via my travel insurance.

Really the whole experience ruined my weekend and not matter how much of a bargain this place seems IT REALLY ISN'T WORTH IT. I really cannot it stress it enough when I say STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Clara G
-RPHotelOwner, Owner at Saharan Motor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

We are saddened by your report. Our hotel does not want to ruin anyone's vacation. We are investigating your claim. Since you stayed in July, we are going back thru our records. We have a company that inspects rooms for bed bugs. Housekeeping and maintenance also do the same. The mattresses are covered in vinyl covers to prevent bedbugs. And a professional company handles any pest problems. The ownership has also attended seminars how to control bedbugs and what to do about them. All occupied guest rooms are also cleaned daily and vacuumed. We certainly do not want our guests bitten by bedbugs. It is an important priority for us. And so is each guest like you. Again we are saddened by your review, management and ownership are reviewing what happened. Our hotel was just inspected this month, as it is every month, for bedbugs by a professional pest control company. Thank you and best wishes for you and your family.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

If you drove past this place you might not think its any good and may skip onto a hotel with a fancier front or posh lobby but once inside it is quite surprisingly good, Will always stay here when visiting LA. Very good location, close to Hollywood walk of fame, good supermarket across the road. secure free parking and help yourself breakfast. Breakfast is served in a small lobby and there is not a huge selection but has fresh waffles. You can then take your breakfast by the pool or in your room and for those who want to get on with your day the self service is great. tourist bus stop is about 300m away. It has a pool that we never used as it was quite cool but was a nice view to have and would be nice to spend afternoon sunbathing if you wanted. Room was fairly nice, good size clean bathroom and comfortable bed and a huge range of all cable TV channels you could possible think of including premium movie channels, better than any hotel tv I have seen.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2013

When you want to spent your nights in Hollywood, you can spent it here. You're only 15 minutes from the Hollywood walk of fame. The subway station Highland is only 20 minutes away. We felt safe on street. Our car was parked at the back site of the motel. There are cameras facing the parking lot, the parking spaces itself are a little tight.We didn't use the breakfast, but we used the supermarket Ralphs for our groceries. The room is clean and has a fridge, good wifi (reception even on the street), nice bed and bathroom.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The motel was fab and what we expected. Clean, friendly and nice sized room. The breakfast is help yourself and served in reception but worked for us!

The area is dodgy though- so don't walk here on your own.. It is a 5-10 min walk to walk of fame.

There's a brill supermarket called Ralph's across the way.

The pool was slimy so we didn't use it.

Room Tip: Good value for money. if you can afford to- Stay in Beverley Hills.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RC_reviewer
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Basic budget motel a couple of blocks away from Hollywood Boulevard and walk of fame. Rooms where not all that but outfitted with basic necessities. Neighbourhood seemed a bit uninviting during late hours. Easy access to freeway which is convenient when visiting LA.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Negatif:
When we arrived in the room, it smelled very stale. It was not cleaned properly, in the bathroom were still remnants of toothpaste from previous guests .. At the reception, the staff was very unfriendly. Breakfast was not tasty and there are 3 tables available, (at the reception?!!) for eating breakfast.

Positif:
The hotel is close to most sights of Hollywood. There is parking for the cars and near the hotel is a good, and not expensive restaurant (Bossa Nova).

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple