“Dirty and scary”

Student Inn International Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Los Angeles
Student Inn International Hostel
Belgium
“Dirty and scary”
Reviewed March 23, 2008

The problem with this place is, they accept everyone from the street who has a few dollars to spent, so you might be sleeping next to a drug addict or worse.
The place is dirty and with some scary people there, location however is good, but noisy, so difficult to sleep. Ask for a room in the back. There is also a little balcony in the back where you can hang out. Common room is very small. I do not recommend this hostel.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — scary place, dirty
  • Stayed April 2004, traveled on business
4 Thank jorrit9

Families
Couples
Basel
Reviewed July 29, 2007

Hi everybody

Just to let you guys know, I stayd over 5 months in that hostel, and it was the best time I had in my live! I can tell that!
I dont say it's the cleanest hostel, but that hostel just ROCKS!!! they clean every day the hostel, the rooms are very cheep, and breakfast is for free too, i've bin there so many times, I don't even remember ;-)
The parties are cool, nice people, and I realy met the best people ever in that hostel!
I realy wish, there would be more hostels like the student inn in Los Angeles!
check out this site, there are some pics of the hostel: labaraka.net/

If anybody has any questions about that hostel, write me, and I answer them: akoolaid17@hotmail.com

Go student inn, go student inn :-)

peace ,
Attila from Switzerland

Stayed February 2003
1 Thank attilaswiss
London
Reviewed June 30, 2007

I stayed in the student inn for over 3 months, (this was abt 2 years ago so it may have changed.) but i never got any bed bug bites and was always provided with breakfast, the showers were always hot. ive met some of the most interesting characters from my travels here and the staff are friendly.
if youre an uptight, anal, posh 'backpacker' , this place isnt for you. the rooms and furniture are pretty old, the kitchen small but its got a cosy little bohemian vibe to it and i always felt welcomed and safe there.

• Liked — the overall vibe and people i met
  • Disliked — the musty feel to it sometimes
  • Stayed January 2005, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Australia
Reviewed April 7, 2007

I couldn't get out of this place fast enough. Booked and paid deposit online months before, called the week before to confirm, and of course when I arrived they had no record of it. The guy who greeted me reeked of alcohol.

Had booked for private room which was a shock to them as they told me they don't actually have any. Was given a room to myself at least - and was then pestered through the night by guys knocking on my door, yelling at me to "party" - not the safest feeling for a woman travelling alone.
Was stood over while using the internet (you had to line up for it).
Went out for the day and came back to find my door wide open with all my stuff out free for the taking if anyone had felt like it.

The only good thing was that they at least refunded part of my money when I quickly found somewhere else to stay.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The way they run it.
  • Stayed November 2004, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank kariestel

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed October 16, 2005

I cannot tell you how much you shouldn't stay here.

As you open the door, the building smells. Their are no lights in the hallway. Their were no lights on in the 'tv room'.

We had booked a private room (they told us when we arrived they don't actually have any, thank goodness we had our confirmation with us) and they tried to put us in a smelly dingy dirty (eg shelves were thick with grime) dorm room and call it a private.

They couldn't find a key for the room. It had ancient old linen including a ninja turtles bed spread. The bathroom was filthy. Their was chicken wire over the window.

This place is so bad we refused to stay and were advised to come back the next day for a refund. My boyfriend had to threaten to call the police to get a refund.

The staff were friendly enough until we asked for a refund.

If you cannot get a room in another hostel (eg USA hostels) or afford to stay in a hotel (and their are some cheaper ones on orchard behind the hollywood and highland centre) then do not come to LA or change the dates you plan to travel. Do not stay here.

• Stayed September 2005
5 Thank Learning_to_travel
UK
Reviewed June 26, 2005

Just got back from a 2 week trip to California, and as part of it we had booked our party of 4 (2 single people and a couple) into this hostel for 3 nights. Firstly they had managed to muck up the booking, so the couple were forced to share a single bed for the first (and only) night. Not only that, but the place was infested with bedbugs, and after the first night everyone was covered in bites.

After complaining to the management they admitted that they knew they had bedbugs, but instead of doing anything about it they just decided to keep letting people stay there and offered no refund whatsoever. This was the last straw so we moved our stuff to a far better hostel, which is less than 200 yards down the road.

There are no locks on any of the room doors so you have random people wandering in and out of the rooms all night to use the toilets – very disconcerting for the women in our group. Our booking claimed hot showers and breakfast included: The water didn’t even work in our room and there was no sign of any breakfasts. This place is a disgrace. You may be tempted by the cheap prices but if you have to put up with staying in a dirty infested pigsty just to save a few pennies it’s not worth it. AVOID THIS PLACE LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!

• Stayed June 2005
6 Thank Bobpants
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 21, 2004

This Hostel has the best location for all of the attractions in L.A.

The staff knows how to have fun, and i have never heard so much good new music. This hostel is one of the best places to stay in Hollywood.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member