“A Let-Down for Westin”

Ranked #56 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Honolulu, Hawaii
“A Let-Down for Westin”
Reviewed June 1, 2005

Compared to other Westins, this one is lacking. The room was just okay, nothing to write home about. The Heavenly bed was not bad for a hotel bed, but don't count on it to give you a good nights sleep if your room is facing the airport runway. This is the only time I would ever request a room facing the main thoroughfare. We are pretty heavy sleepers, so it wasn't too much of an issue, but I can see how others may be irate. The maid hadn't serviced our room on the first day by 5PM, so we just told her not to do it because we wanted access to the room at that time. There is Wi Fi access in the hotel lobby, which is nice. The pool is just okay...I wouldn't spend too much time there because the crowd looked pretty scary. Room service was quick but mediocre and expensive. The hotel restaurant isn't the greatest either...plan on eating out of the hotel if possible. The free airport shuttle is a nice touch, though. For a one or two night stay, it'll do, but for anything longer, try something better than the Westin LAX.

• Stayed May 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (597)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed May 31, 2005

For the fourth time staying in this hotel, rooms were stuffy, staff is not present at the front desk at check in, unacceptable for a Westin. I won't go back. The first room I checked into (after waiting 45 mins trying to check in) had a broken air conditioner, it was almost 90 outside and just as hot inside. Stains present on furniture in "recently remodeled" rooms and smells of stale cigarettes. I can't compare any other Westin hotel to this one.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 14, 2005

I stayed at the Westin LAX after a flight from NZ. I had to catch a morning flight to NYC the next day so it seemed a good option because of the price and free shuttle.

As I exited the airport the shuttle happened to be waiting so I got lucky and was able to head directly to the hotel. Very clean and airy lobby. I was checked in quickly and efficently.

The room was clean and had a view of the airport runways. Heavenly bed was great. Lots of amennities, towels, etc.

Only two drawbacks were early morning flights that were departing directly over the hotel. Woke me up a few times, but I was the one that requested the room on the airport side because I love planes. Not the fault of the hotel. The second problem was when I discovered I left my toothbrush in NZ. Took a few calls before brush and paste were brought to my room. Staff apologized so no worries.

Overall, a great hotel to stay at if catching a flight at LAX. A bit far from attractions so I wouldn't recommend it if staying in Los Angeles.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 26, 2005

This is a nice, modern hotel with very friendly staff members. We booked our room on Hotwire, and when asked at the front desk, were able to get a nonsmoking room, on the third floor.

Here are the pros:
The bed was extremely comfortable, with lovely sheets! Quite to our surprise, the food, ordered through room service, was good, and served on fancy silver platters with glass goblets of iced water. I especially recommend their club sandwich and carrot cake; both were fresh, filling, good sized portions, and delicious... What a wonderful surprise! Although we were close to the airport, (as the name implies), there was little noise, and the hotel is close to everything. Our room was clean and neat, and offered internet service.

The cons:
There was only ONE bottle of shampoo (no conditioner, or lotion).
While the hotel offers shuttle service, parking was $15 per day.
Internet service outside the room was pay-per-minute.

The Upshot:
Good for one night, through priceline or hotwire, (as we did, and moved to a hotel with parking included, which is quite possible), and especially nice for business travelers.

• Stayed April 2005
5 Thank Litgirl24
Chicago, IL
Reviewed April 21, 2005

Me and my husband stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in April of 2005. Hotel was nice and clean...but nothing special. But I had no compaint since I only paid about $65.00 per night through hotwire. They do charge you $15.00 per day parking fee, if you have a car.

• Stayed April 2005
5 Thank Cindy K
Reviewed April 18, 2005

this hotel for 90 us 4 people...is the best deal in town.

• Stayed March 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 2, 2005

When you call the Westin, they claim to be the best hotel at the airport. Well, that much is true. I have stayed at almost every Los Angeles Airport Hotel. The Westin does have them all beat with the Heavenly Bed. I got in really late from a flight and I didn't feel like driving. I stopped in and they had a new desk for their Gold and Platinum members. There was no line and they treated me like I was a celebrity. I even got an upgrade to a room with a great city view. I am not sure if I was really tired or if it really was just the best sleep of my life. I was out early in the morning, but before I left I received my favorite newspaper.

• Stayed March 2005, traveled on business