“Westin Ripoff”

The Westin Los Angeles Airport
Ranked #56 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed March 29, 2009

I just made my reservation over the phone for a stay for myself and my wife at the Westin LA Airport. I would have done this online but I wanted to make sure my one night stay with Starwood points could be made along with one paid night.

After I made the reservation, I checked my reservation confirmation email. The night with points was correct, but the reservation for the paid night was only for only one guest and the agent had also misspelled my name, so my SPG number wasn't entered.

I sent Westin an email to get these errors corrected. They corrected my name and SPG number, but were unwilling to change the reservation to apply for two guests, because their change policies do not allow them to change a reservation with a non-changeable rate, even though they made the error. In the same email they referred to me as a "valued customer". They made it clear that I am not.

Think twice about staying at a Starwood property. Obviously, even valued customers don't matter to them. I will be switching back to Hyatt / Hilton after this.

Jay

Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JRedmondWA

Reviewed March 9, 2009

Staying at a Westin in MN recently, I decided to stay at this one while on business in LA. Looked goog in the lobby. However; getting to the room, it was old, and poorly cleaned. I think the people that check the quality of the cleaning jobs need glasses.

Toothpaste caked on the counters in the bathroom. Other people's hairs in the tub. Poor quality workmanship in the remodeling. Carpeting dirty, workspace dirty (desktop), mirror streaked and dirty, grout on the tile in the tub surround was BLACK and dirty. I dont think they know what bleach is here.

Anyhow, the room was once'd over for cleaning, it is like they used a broom to clean it, but no cleaning liquids, or anything.

I would not recommend this place for a stay, unless they change their cleaning staff.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank ClickTheGeek
Reviewed March 7, 2009

A snowstorm on the east coast stranded us for a night in LA. We used cash and points for our one night stay here. It's hard to expect much from an airport hotel, and this version of an airport hotel doesn't do much to break the mold. The hallways smelled fairly strongly of jet fuel, though the rooms smelled neutral. The room was spacious enough, though it was not very clean. The robe hanging on the door had a large stain on the sleeve, which was off-putting to say the least. We did not take use any of the dining outlets or other facilities, save for the complimentary airport shuttle, which was reliable and runs pretty frequently. The bed was comfortable and water pressure in the shower strong, but other than that, there isn't much to recommend this property. On the flip side, I would imagine most people are using the hotel for short stays, and for that purpose, it serves it purpose well enough.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank qaz123
Reviewed March 5, 2009

There are nice Westins, and then there are Westins that feel a little worn and in need of a remodel (Dallas Galleria, anyone?). This is one of the good ones, with a nice, spacious lobby, good parking and the usual Starwood friendly and efficient front desk service. The ultimate compliment is that despite being all of a half mile from LAX in a less-than-fancy neighborhood, you immediately forget that the moment you step inside. It's no surprise that we saw flight crews all over the place.

I was on the Starwood floor. Slow elevator service during my stay, but they had signs saying they're remodeling them. I believe you can tell a lot from the hallway, and this one felt clean and relatively up to date. The good-sized room was pretty much what you'd expect from a decent Westin, including the beige-y bathroom that always feels a little dingy even though it's clearly clean. Good bed, a robe (with a hole), decent products (although a single soap that you have to switch between sink and shower?), too-small old-school TV. Interesting vertical safe that would hold a laptop...if the door worked. $12 internet access is a joke in this day and age, and mini bar prices seemed unusually steep on a few items like bottled water. Good workout room if you're into elliptical, treadmill or bike.

By no means a luxury hotel, but a great option if you want to be close to the airport without staying in a nasty "airport hotel."

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank puzzolente
Reviewed February 24, 2009

After I booked this on Priceline for $82 for Friday I immediately went to Tripadvisor and got scared. No need for the fear in the end. The hotel was just fine. Yes, it is older. I felt sorry for some of the light fixtures. However, it is a great location in relevance to LAX and LA Airforce Base (which is wear I was). I love Westin beds, so that was a plus to see the familiar site. I can't tell you about the pool, but the staff was nice and helpful. Parking is $18 here, but that is basically the going rate around the airport. There are restaurants and fastfood within walking distance. If you wanted a small trek, you can get on the rail line and head into Los Angeles.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fsujenn
Reviewed February 24, 2009

My family stayed for 4 nights. We were satisfied with everything and had no complaints. After 4th nights, I had to check into Four Seasons for the scheduled business trip. Ok. If you were compare Westin to Four Season, there is a huge gap, but there also is a huge gap in price that you have to remember. I think overall, Westin has good value and located in a good location to check out LA. Misc items - Parking was $18 and internet access was $15, I think...

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank anchoy
Reviewed February 22, 2009

Stayed overnight here because of an early AM flight. Quick, efficient check-in. Room was clean, large and luxurious with the trademark Westin bed and a wonderfully comfortable armchair. Great in-room setup for coffee or tea. We returned our rental, walked back to the hotel and used the free shuttle to airport. Was worried about airplane noise being so close to the airport, but the place was very quiet. I would stay here again any time I had a very early flight.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple