“Stay at the Sheraton Instead”

The Westin Los Angeles Airport
Ranked #56 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I am a Starwood Preferred member and recently stayed at both the Westin LAX and the Sheraton Gateway LAX. Though I normally prefer Westin's, in this case, the Sheraton is hands down a better hotel. The beds at the Westin are small - not queen size by any stretch. The Sheraton beds are much larger. The Westin does not supply the room with a robe. The Sheraton does. The airport shuttle to the Westin was packed while the shuttle to the Sheraton was not. The club lounge at the Sheraton was fine - but I only used it for breakfast. The front desk service was friendly, professional and very quick. In short - if you have a choice, I recommend the Sheraton.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank AuthorMomManhattan
TheWestinLAX, Guest Experience Coordinator at The Westin Los Angeles Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Hello AuthorMomManhattan,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor reviewers. We are terribly sorry to hear your recent stay did not meet your expectations and was not up to par with Westin standards. We hope you will accept our sincerest apologies that you were not able to have the heavenly experience you were expecting.

We hope you will give The Westin Los Angeles Airport another chance. It would truly be our pleasure to welcome you back and give you the renewing and relaxing experience you deserve.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed her after a late flight in. Good news is the hotel had a room available and was very clean. Downside, they nickel and dime your stay. Service was a bit difficult for my husband. I had reserved the room during my layover in Miami on my card. Becuase of this they were not so willing to let him prepare the room for my arrival. I was returning back to the states after two weeks. The room itself was beautiful. The bed was less than comfortable though. Room service was a limited menu and most of the items were out of stock. Geesh. During check out, though there was a little redemption. The woman helping us was very pleasant. We will not return here though. Only recommend if your in a tight spot for the room.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello LadySamms,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback from your recent stay with us. We are displeased to learn that your stay was not as enjoyable as expected. We hope you will accept our apologies for any inconvenience we have caused you.

Please note that it would be our pleasure to let your husband prepare the room for your arrival. For your future reservations, simply note that you would like your husband’s name to be added on the reservation.

We hope you will join us again soon.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

This is pretty much my go-to hotel, when I don't want want to splurge, and I know that all I need is a hotel for a decent nights sleep. The price is good, and it is on the more decent side for airport hotels. The bed is comfortable, the parking is easy (I did not valet, there is a self parking lot connected to the hotel), and it is close to freeway access. I know my way around LA so this isn't a problem, but for those sight-see - this probably isn't as ideal as you will have to drive a good distance for everything. This is true for all the airport hotels.

The room was ok - everything was pretty updated, there were ample power outlets, and the kind sized bed was comfortable, as expected from a starwood property. The bathroom was small, and the water pressure left a lot to be desired, but that has been a theme at hotels that are trying to be more "green" these days. The one thing I did notice this time was that I was able to hear some airport noise (airplanes landing) at times, but it wasn't so overbearing that it affected my sleep. For those that are extremely sensitive, you may want to avoid staying near the airport at all.

The service was acceptable. We called housekeeping for a comb in the morning, and then got a call from the front desk to make sure we got everything and were satisfied. Unfortunately, that call came before housekeeping delivered anything. We had to call again and it arrived within 10 mins of the second call. Besides that, check in was quick, and since I've stayed here multiple times, i already knew my way around.

I've never checked out the pool, or gym facilities, and only eaten at the Daily Grill once. The Daily Grill is the same as other Daily Grill restaurants - it's a chain - but this one seems more expensive. Portions are large.

Overall, we had a good stay. I got my good nights of sleep, and was satisfied. Nothing was super great, but there wasn't really anything to complain about, so it was pretty average - but I will come back - at least I get my SPG credit for staying here!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Derek C
TheWestinLAX, Guest Experience Coordinator at The Westin Los Angeles Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Hello Derek C,

Thank you for choosing The Westin Los Angeles Airport as your go-to hotel. We couldn’t be more delighted to hear you always enjoy your stay with us.

We are truly excited to welcome you back. It is our pleasure to give you the renewing experience you deserve.

Stay Well,

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stay in a lot of hotels, but I've rarely experienced as indifferent, terrible customer service as I did at the Westin LAX.
I can't figure out whether the hotel has a culture of lies or is simply so well practiced at misleading guests that nobody there realizes what they're doing. From the valets to the cleaning staff to the front desk to the duty manager, not a single person at the hotel was ever honest or helpful.
This is the fourth time I've stayed at this hotel. My third visit was amazing (when I got stuck there because of Sandy), but that clearly was the anomaly.
Westin, in general, has gone downscale. My company has a major corporate account with SPG, and we don't normally put people at this property. I asked for it because my last stay (the 3rd) was so pleasant.
Never again.
You can judge a hotel by how it treats its elite travelers, and the Westin LAX fails miserably here.
You can also judge a hotel by how its management reaches out to unhappy guests, another thing where the Westin LAX fails miserably.
While upgrades are given on availability basis, these hotels know who is coming in. They know the level of membership before you arrive, and they're supposed to plan for that.
Let's start with the valet parking: These lads couldn't care less about their jobs or their guests. I pulled up, opened the trunk to reveal several suitcases. Usually a valet asks, "would you like some help with your luggage?" Not this guy. "You want us to bring in the bags?"
I started to take some garbage out of the front seat, and he said, "don't worry. I'll throw that out" - how sweet, I thought.
The garbage was still there 3 hours later when I got the car out to go to dinner.... and it was stinking, since the car was in a garage with the windows closed.
I checked in on a Friday after 5pm with a lovely, but completely inept (or otherwise well trained in the art of leaving out information & misleading guests by the shoddy management at this property) agent. I told him I would be leaving before 12 noon if it helped with a nicer room upgrade.
He told me I was upgraded to the Executive Club floor. Didn't say anything else.
I got up to the room, which is on the Exec Club floor, which is also a Starwood Preferred Guest floor, which I'm entitled to anyhow.
The Exec Club is closed & serves nothing from Friday afternoon until Monday morning. So much for that amenity & upgrade. (Normally they serve some kind of breakfast in the mornings and appetizers at night, or so it says.)
My 'upgraded' room had a lovely view of the LAX runways & storage facilities.
I called downstairs to find out about the supposed upgrade, and I was told there were no suites available. I asked - what about a view different than the runway?
I was told that this *WAS* an upgrade. I was on the top floor (12). Really? Could have fooled me. Same room size & bed.
Asked the woman to have the manager call me.
He did, and said the exact same thing (upgrades are based on availability & there were no suites, and I was upgraded to the Exec Club floor) she did.
Told him the hotel knew I was coming, so if all the suites weren't paid guests, I would find out. They should have planned better, and because of that & his attitude (which wasn't apologetic or helpful but antagonistic) he just blew all ancillary spending.
I was there for 1 night on business, and now I wasn't going to spend a dime on food or drinks or anything else.
At no time did any of these 'managers' mention the Exec Club was closed on weekends.
My 'upgraded' room had 1 washcloth in it.
(PS: When I complained via the SPG Website the front-desk manager e-mailed me it was an upgrade because I got free Internet. Um, I get that anyhow due to my status.)
When I came in after midnight (having gone out to meet friends, as I wasn't going to spend a dime in the hotel at this point..), I pulled up to the valet, and there wasn't anyone around.
I had to go into the hotel to find someone to take my car.
The next morning I ran into 5 different people trying to get into the Exec Club - they'd all been told they'd gotten upgrades to the Exec Club, but not told it was closed!
The next morning when I went to get my car (went out to get breakfast, as I wasn't going to spend a dime at this hotel), the valet had parked it way at the front of the turnaround, but there was no valet in sight.
There I was, standing at my car waiting for someone to come & give me my keys.
I finally had to walk over to the valet stand and collect them.
Upon check-out before noon the front-desk attendant asked how my stay was. I just shook my head and left.
The manager knew that I was unhappy with my room and the lack of service and had ample opportunity to reach out to make it right, but s/he chose not to.
That says an awful lot about how this property is run.
Ignore your biggest and unhappiest clients, and look what happens.

(PS: I was so disturbed by the treatment I received and the conversations I had while in the hotel, I told the manager I spoke to on the phone that I was going to slam the hotel on Trip Advisor.)

The list:
Shower pressure: Average (but I'm not a fan of the waterfall-type showers in so many of the Westin properties these days).
Front desk: Nice, but they leave out information, which, to me, is the same as being dishonest & misleading you, which I found out later.
Bed: Average.
Sheets/Bedding: Average.
Towels: Skimpy. There was 1 washcloth in my room. The towels weren't absorbant & were worn.
Phone service/attendants: I couldn't get directly to the valet 3 times - had to go through Service Express, which was fine.
Room size: Above average.
Room service: Didn't order on purpose. There is a Starbucks cart in the lobby (cash or room charge only).

Room Tip: Ask to face east or south to avoid direct views of the runways.

Hello ilovemanhattanNyc,

Thank you for sharing feedback from your recent stay with us. We hope you will accept our sincerest apologies. We truly appreciate you choosing to stay at The Westin Los Angeles Airport and strive to give each of our guests the personal, instinctive and renewing experience they deserve.

We hope if you return to Los Angeles you will give us another chance.

Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

I've been to so many five stars hotel and Westin LAX is not one of them. Front desk is not up to the standard especially when I asked about trolley information. The front desk mention: Go ahead and check with the valet without even giving me details where and who to talk to.

Room was so so, bed is great.

I'll reckon Holliday inn or four points by Sheraton around the area

• Stayed: April 2013

Hello Calvin Y,

Thank you for sharing your comments from your recent stay. We are disappointed to hear your stay with us was not up to your expectations.

We hope you will give The Westin Los Angeles Airport another chance. We would love another opportunity to establish that we are able to provide you with the personal, instinctive and renewing experience that you deserve.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I was here for 2 weeks on business and the location is definitey easy and close to the airport.

The lobby is big and airy so it gives you a nice, open feeling.
Self-parking is nice and easy, the lobby is directly connected to the garage.
The rooms are nice and comfy. The fitness center is actually pretty decent with a good amount of cardio machines, free weights, and a couple of multi-purpose weight machines.
The daily breakfast in the club lounge is quite nice - eggs and oatmeal in addition to other continental cold items and fruits. I did wish they had an espresso machine instead of a fancy but plain coffee machine. (i mean...if you're going to have a machine, might as well make espresso and not just drip right?)

It's a short and breezy drive to get to Sepulveda which has alot of nice restaurants.
You can definitely hear some aircraft landing, but it wasn't very intrusive for me. All i heard was a low rumble, so it had no impact on my sleep whatsoever.
All in all, nothing execptional but still a nice a hotel given its more commerical location.

1  Thank Babybokchoy
TheWestinLAX, Guest Experience Coordinator at The Westin Los Angeles Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Hello Babybokchoy,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Westin Los Angeles Airport while you were traveling on business. We are delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us. It is our desire to provide you with the renewing experience that you deserve.

We look forward to serving you again!

Remain Well,

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Don't understand why the beds here don't get replaced as these beds are worn out. Hotel could use a complete remodel as well at this point. Unlike the San Francisco airport Westin that has noise suppression windows it is quite noisy from the Jets taking off every few minutes.

Hello DoctorVonCueBall,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are displeased to learn you did not have a restful stay with us. We hope you will accept our sincerest apologies that you were not able to have the heavenly experience you were expecting.

We hope you will give us another opportunity to give you the personal, instinctive, and renewing experience you deserve.