“Worn out”

The Westin Los Angeles Airport
Ranked #58 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

A few minutes from LAX by hotel shuttle, this property is convenient to the gajillons of travelers who pass through each day -- and it shows. Everything is scuffed, peeling, rusting, and worn. The hotel looks like it shares one thing with its guests -- jet lag.

Rooms are standard Westin fare, though very low water pressure in the shower was subpar.

So, if you need to be close to the airport, expect a flea bag in a Westin costume to get your SPG points, and don't mind the homeless look, a fine place for as little time as you can spend here before jetting away.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Shfishburn
TheWestinLAX, Guest Experience Coordinator at The Westin Los Angeles Airport, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Hello Shfishburn,

We truly appreciate your valuable feedback concerning the condition of your room. We regret that you were reserved in a room that was less than perfect.

Would you be so kind and contact the Executive Office when you have a moment. We are very disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. We would like to speak with you and gather more information about your experience and the room.

Thanks

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We had two rooms before early flight next morning. Check in was slow, seemed to have some "issues" with people checking in ahead of us. However, staff were friendly. The lobby is welcoming. Did not eat in the restaurant or bar, Would have been nice to have coffee/snack bar open at night for late arriving guests who are not into the bar scene. However our rooms were spacious, beds were comfortable and clean. I know prior reviewers complained about flight noise, but we didn't hear a thing. Also got good rate because of internet promo code, so I would stay again if could get same rate. Be prepared to pay to park car ~ $20/night.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Hello 2kytravelers,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate your kind words. We hope that when you are in the area again that you will choose to stay with us.

I will share your comments with the applicable managers regarding an evening coffee cart.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed here for a night before flying to Anchorage for our cruise and all we can say is we were never disappointed. For us, this was a good transit hotel and very quiet though we were close to the airport.

We also highly recommend the restaurant located at the lobby. Food and service were great. Staff were also friendly. This experience was a great start to a good holiday for us.

After a long flight, we hit the sack after dinner. Bed was comfortable. We will use this hotel again and highly recommend this hotel to all transit passengers.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello KC_Wilson_NZ ,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience. We were delighted to learn that your time with us was enjoyable and that you were able to rest and renew.

I will be sure to share your comments with the restaurant. Please join us again should your travels return you to Los Angeles.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Stayed at the Westin LAX for a night. Standard Westin, which is not a bad thing. The room was spacious enough and had a small sofa and ottoman next to the window, which was nice. The bed was comfy and, given that two of LAX’s runways were right next to the hotel, it was surprisingly quiet. Overall the sleep quality was high. For the shuttle back to the airport, there is a monitor that shows in real-time where the working shuttles are, so you’ll know when to expect the shuttle. There is a Daily Grill in the hotel, so fans of that restaurant will enjoy that. I can recommend this property.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank QlobeTrotter

Hello Quequedub,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback. We were so delighted to learn that your time with us was an enjoyable experience.

We truly hope that you will join us again. It would be our pleasure to serve you again.

Remain Well,

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Had a short overnight transit at this hotel. First impressions were good but the rooms are quite tired looking but adequate. One does not stay at airport hotels and expect wonders - even if it was a Westin.

However, my greatest peeve is the service at the hotel. Check-in and Check-out was rather slow and this can be annoying after a long flight (for the former) and when you are rushing to catch the shuttle bus (for the latter).

One thing I would note that needs a large improvement is the attitude and service level of the front door staff. I was carrying three big pieces of luggage and they did not even try to assist me as I was making my way across the expansive lobby to the front doors (ditto upon arrival). They made a show to help me load into the shuttle bus but it was the driver that exerted himself to help while two of the front door staff were having a protracted conversation while pushing the bags to the driver to upload. Thereafter, they looked expectantly for a tip from myself even though I do not think they are worthy of it.

So in the end, adequate but some training is required of the front door staff for this to be an 'inspiring experience...'

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank rabidcow
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I stayed here when a scheduled flight was unexpectedly cancelled after all passengers had boarded. As there was no other flight the next day either, the airline put me up here for two nights. I would not usually choose such an expensive option but that said, I looked forward to a bit of luxury to mitigate my disappointment. The Westin, like many big chains, does not stint on lobby space and seating as well as first visual impressions - all good. However, the reception staff are not particularly efficient and are somewhat " wooden" in their manner. The room was very comfortable, especially the bed and the pillows but no conveniences such as coffee maker/jug. The room was also surprisingly quiet given its proximity to the airport, Next day, I went out sightseeing but on my return, some 6 hours later, My key card would not open my room or the door to the fitness centre upstairs. Front office staff informed me that I would have to "prove' my occupancy, a bit difficult as the 2 night voucher had been kept by them and my belongings were all locked in the room. When I pointed out to the young woman that her colleague, also on duty, had the voucher and had checked me in for two nights, she was undeterred and I was made to wait some considerable time before the problem was rectified. A belated apology, just. As there was no free WIFI in the rooms, yes, that'right, people pay between two and three hundred dollars a night but are expected to pay for the privilege of in room WIFI connection - the lobby was connected for guest use. However, my connection was not proceeding so I returned to the front desk to ask the young lady for assistance. Oh dear, seems I was invisible as she turned away and disappeared into the back room. The same young man who had marked me down as checking out after one night, did help withe WIFI
My point is this, do not assume that top price and familiar hotel chain equates to good customer service. My next stay a tLAX a wek later was a cheap one with far better customer service!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room as the hotel is close to the airport
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank DMWSUNSHINECOAST
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I like Westins, I always have. However, in the past I would have considered this to be one of the WORST Westins I had ever stepped foot in. On a recent visit it was nice to see that this hotel is getting a makeover/update.... it is in need!

Westins in general are great, so I am hoping this one ends up being that way. I could tell that my room was recently spruced up as it was comfortable.

I was dissapointed in the cleaning of the room. End tables had been pulled out during cleaning and not pushed back up against the walls etc, and the floors were not vacuumed, however the bathroom was spotless.

Room Tip: Its hard to find a quiet room, one side has century blvd which is loud, 2 sides have planes landing...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business