“If i could live there,i would...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Elaine's Hollywood Bed and Breakfast

Elaine's Hollywood Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 88 Los Angeles B&B and Inns
Istanbul, Turkey
“If i could live there,i would...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2010

I might start with saying that Elaine's B&B was more than perfect.At first,i even thought that it was too good to be true.Especially in a city like Los angeles where almost everyone and everywhere is odd ,this place is a gem.I can't even discuss the value.Great price for a Hollywood stay.
I was a girl travelling alone from so far away and i was just feeling so vulnerable from the start of my USA adventure.And staying in total stranger's house??? I must admit,i was so nervous that i couldn't get a wink of sleep on my first night ,i'm THAT chicken.But i assure you it's not only one of the most beautiful streets in Hollywood but also the safest.And the owners were so nice,helpful,understanding,it didn't take me long to feel completely safe with them.It's interesting but during my long stay all the other guests were also very decent and special people so i think we could easily say that Elaine's B&B is choice of people who has a certain gusto.
The house is fantastic.It's even more beautiful and spacious than the pictures on website. The decoration is very tasty.I loved every room though i've stayed in only two different one;Green (cute and cosy) and Purple (big and luxurious) room.I got everything i need under my hand,everything was clean,beds were very comfy.They put many extra towels in every size and sheets in closet for you too.
When it comes to privacy,you don't even notice there are other people in the house if you don't want to.They are very respectful to the privacy if you're concerned about that in a b&b.
The location couldn't be better.Walking distance to the main attractions of Hollywood but also away enough to stay away from the caos.I found it very difficult to get around without a car in Los Angeles but if you're a tourist staying at Elaine's,it's not a problem you'll already in the heart of the attractions.
I had a little time to get to know Elaine but not only during my stay,especially beforehand she really helped me with a lot of things.Many thanks for her time and kindness...When Elaine was away,her husband Avik and friend Jerry were in charge.They made my stay very delightful and unique.Many special thanks to them...They even went out of their way just to help me when i need.
Not to forget one of the best things about it ,the dogs;Casper and Jimmy.They helped me to forget about my cats back at home:)I feed them,played with them.It was great to be able to spend time with them.They complete the feeling of 'home'
It was not less but more than what i've expected.
I felt sorry that my friends or my family weren't with me to enjoy this very lovely stay!But i'll be back with them as soon as i can!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2010

This was our first stop on our 3 week trip around California and we had high hopes for it. However we were really disappointed. The place obviously used to be, or at least could be, a very nice B&B but there are some fundamental problems with it in our view.

Firstly you need to be well aware that two dogs live there and they seem to have free reign of the house. I'm afraid to say these dogs smell and that smell lingers throughout the house.

Secondly the cleanliness of the place is poor. It has thick carpets throughout which are old and have the ingrained dog smell. You are asked to take your shoes off before going upstairs but the carpets suggest this is an afterthought as they were pretty dirty anyway.

Bedroom was a good size and it was great to have a balcony. However the furniture on the balcony was filthy and broken. Windows and doors are peeling and it just feels generally poorly maintained. Which meant we didn't use it much.

We didn't meet Elaine but we did meet Avic. Some people seem to think he is charming but we just found him odd. We are paying $110 a night and expect to be dealt with a bit more professionally. We were greeted by him peeking through the curtains pretending he wanted us to go away. We then had the patronising chat on how to open the door. We were scolded on our parking. After a long flight we didn't need all that.

The rooms weren't cleaned each day. But our host who seemed to be helping out definitely came in our room each day, with the dog, as she always had a comment about something that was in there. Despite beds remaining unmade and bins not emptied. It just made us feel we had no privacy.

Breakfast we found chaotic. Ok bagels with not particularly fresh fruit. If you want a proper breakfast head down to The Griddle Cafe on Sunset Blvd which does amazing pancakes and Scrambles and only 5 minute walk away.

So what could be a great B&B simply isn't.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank selondoner
roma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

This bed and breakfast is the right place to stay in Los Angeles! We stayed in the Pink Room and it's large, comfortable and clean, with a large balcony too! It's only two blocks from Hollywood blvd. The breakfast is super, with fresh fruit and delicious bagels,but the best of all is the fantastic owner, Avic, who is really nice and witty....so funny and interesting to speak to!!! We really loved that place!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank marinamaria
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2010

We couldnt find the B&B in the street. There isnt a sign up and so we had to look the house number up online. No big deal though. We wer greeted by Elaine and she showed us the house. She was a biut confused and we had to move our stuff from the two rooms twice as she couldnt remember if other people were coming yes or no. The rooms are lovely and so is the house. But Elaine herself is not a nice woman. She makes very distinguishd snipy comments and if your a foreigner you wouldnt really know. On one hand she did the washing and she gave me some things for my cold, but on the other hand she would really say some nasty things. When it was time to say goodbye she wouldnt shake my hand because: Youre hand is busy holding the croissant'. And she left the house, telling us to leave the money in cash with her husband. When we were still there when she came back (we were talking to her lovely husband who really is a character, lovely man) she looked at us and just said: Oh youre still here, why havnt you left'. Very strange. Also the breakfast isnt great. Glass of orange and old bagels and croissants. But youre in a great part of town, 3 minutes from walk of fame and chinese theatre etc. And for 90 dollars a night, you cant go wrong

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cheryl1982
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2010

I was incredibly lucky and got one of only two rooms at this B&B. The couple who own it are really nice people, who can tell you all you need to know about Hollywood. I was even lucky enough to get a small tour of the Hollywood-sign. The room I stayed in was really pretty and big, with a big balcony and a private bathroom. The place is in walking distance of the "Walk of Fame" etc.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Haarlem, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2009

Elaine's HB&B is an oasis of peace just west of the pandemonium called Hollywood Blvd and between Hollywood and Sunset. If there ever was a tourist trap in the States it's probably called the Walk of Fame, but you can hardly blame Elaine and Avik for that.

They run a very warmly and inviting accommodation although, as others already stated here, Avik is the kind of guy most people have to get used to, especially if you first meet him early in the morning at - the very tasty - breakfast like we did.

But beside that, Avik and Elaine turned out to be really helpful: they immediately offered us the use of their washing machine and dryer when we informed about a nearby laundromat and we could use their computer as long as we wanted for checking out hotels on our next stages from LA eastbound.

An additional advantage of staying at Elaine's is the presence of restaurant Cheebo on the corner with Sunset Blvd. Great (bar-)food, laidback atmosphere and an incredible barkeeper called Wesley.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2009

I stayed at Elaine's Hollywood B&B for nearly a month in February 2002, but I know it hasn't changed. Firstly, everything everyone has said on this site is probably true. When I arrived I was locked out for ages, even though I could see that someone was asleep on the lounge ... and it went on from there. I'm allergic to animals but I ended up helping to feed them in the kitchen. The pink room with ensuite was great: spacious, private, comfortable, quiet: with French doors opening onto the garden where you could see squirrels playing in the trees. There were paw-prints on my bathmat - both sides! I changed my own sheets, but Avik made breakfast for me every morning and we had lots of chats. Each day I drove to the Getty to research, and looked forward to arriving back 'home'. I'd eat at the Curry Palace and Toi, and watch unreleased videos in bed. When my husband and son arrived they didn't quite get it. I wouldn't recommend Elaine's to a friend because they wouldn't get it either. Would I go there again? Like a shot.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business