“Something different”

Elaine's Hollywood Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 95 Los Angeles B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 1, 2013

The reviews on this one are mixed and i can understand why. Personally I was satisfied with the B&B. Location is very good in a quiet street, the room is spacious incl. TV and free wifi. The balcony is a bonus to sit mornings or evenings. The fridge is handy too for a cool drink. Breakfast is self service and satisfying, good coffee. Elaine is a friendly person.
The comedy capers of it all was the husband. I initially liked his stories but one should consider to leave the guests for a moment alone during 4 breakfast mornings or let the guests have a chance to socialize with each other. The sight of a half open bath robe did not tick my boxes as well at 8am in the morning. Beside this I got some tutorial lessons. Mentioned here before i also received the door closing / opening instructions but is actually helpfull. One morning I stood on the porch and the host asked which stupid jerk parked the car not precisely up to the tree line, I am the stupid jerk I responded! ( was merely 5 inches off it). Also questioning if i had seen this before (pointing at a water cooker), and to his surprise responding, "No, this is my first visit here, but I have seen them in other places". In the end we just had a good laugh about it, but can understand others are not too impressed lol. I wanted to rate it 4 stars, but after 4 nights Elaine was not there when we left in the morning, also not notifying us her absence, to have the opportunity to say goodbye. I don't mind dogs, but they should not run up into the guests room, we could hardly get him/her out. Beds were never made. 3 stars therefore

Room Tip: The pink room is nice because of the balcony, but ask for the airco if it is hot in LA.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank paulreigersbos

Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in May - it was fantastic. Kick the tin for the pink room, totally worth it for the balcony out the back. The room was huge, the bathroom spacious and we had a bar fridge where we could keep some drinks cool. Elaine was charming, the breakfasts (when we opted to eat in for breakfast) were fabulous - tea, coffee, pastries, fruit, yoghurt. Lovely. Avik is lovely - ask him to talk to you about his collection of photos with Hollywood stars!

Regrettably we opted not to have a car during our stay in Hollywood so negotiating our way around via public transport was initially challenging. Husband took a trip on the train down to Long Beach, Elaine was kind enough to invite me to accompany her to the Farmers Markets on Melrose Ave - a visit to these comes highly recommended!

Elaine has 2 dogs - they are really very well behaved.

We really enjoyed our stay here. Overall, very happy to have booked with them.

Room Tip: Choose the Pink Room - it is very spacious and quiet. You can relax with a cool drink and watch the...
Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pia A
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Elaine is charming and the location is great for Hollywood. The room was nice and the private bathroom was important. However the tv and wifi never worked. There was an ample breakfast, nicely presented for us by Elaine and individual French Press coffee pots for each of us. There are two areas that bothered me: One, We had to carry our own luggage up a long flight of stairs. After a long flight/drive to get there it would have been nice to have had some help. Secondly, Avik, Elaine's husband, walked around all day in a dirty smelly shabby terry cloth bathrobe and worn slippers. I found this offensive expecially in a business not a private home. What he does when no one is there is his own thing, but as strangers renting a place to sleep we felt it was totally inappropriate. Elaine's helpfulness and charm overcame this but be forewarned. I reread all the reviews and they are accurate, be sure to read them.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lightupthesky13
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stayed in a green room at this B&B for two nights.
Things this B&B has to offer include:
- Decent sized room with nice bathroom
- Free wireless internet
- All amenities for the bathroom
- Great location. The Hollywood Walk of Fame is an easy walk and Sunset Blvd is also close. West Hollywood, Beverly Hills and the Hollywood sign is in close proximity to drive.
- Friendly and helpful hosts
- Continental breakfast with fresh fruit and pastries

Note that the B&B has dogs, if this is a problem for you. It did not bother us.
Also, I do not know if we missed something, but the room was not cleaned and refreshed everyday. We had to make the bed ourselves.

The B&B is very reasonably priced and in a great location. If you are looking for easy accommodation with a small budget, this will be perfect for you.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 1, 2013

My husband and I ended up staying at Elaines by chance after an error with my booking at the B&B opposite. And it worked out wonderfully. We stayed in the blue room which is a really good size room at the front of the house with a bathroom, fridge, TV, wireless and lots of storage. The road itself was very quite with plenty of parking and its really well positioned between Sunset and Hollywood Blvds. There are some great places within walking distance to eat and drink. This was our first stop from the UK on a 2 week holiday around California and found ourselves feeling pretty jetlagged the first morning. Even though we were up really early, breakfast was waiting for us in the kitchen. And we had been made to feel so comfortable and welcomed that first day that we ended up not standing on ceremony and waiting for Elaine to help us, but just helped ourselves! (Elaine was fine with this by the way!) The breakfast options were perfect - cereal, yoghurts, granola, pastries etc. We really felt that we were LA residents for those 2 days and had just the best time. Elaine gave us losts of options of what to do while we were there which was really helpful. Ive heard so many people saying that LA has no soul. I suggest they go stay at Elaines B&B. Elaines husband Avik was so interesting to speak to and we felt like we had known him forever. They do have a dog who is very docile and lovely. If you are expecting a UK B&B, this is not what you are going to get. This is a great home stay where you become a member of the family for your stay. Loved every minute of it.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I stayed here recently with 2 teens in the "pink" room. We enjoyed it very much. It is right near a lot of the Hollywood sites as well as endless great, fresh food options. It was a casual environment that made us feel very at home from the moment we got there. I would recommend this property to anyone looking for an affordable, convenient place to stay in LA.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bwalDNA
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Took a short trip to Hollywood in February and stayed at Elaine's. We had a nice welcome and talk with Elaine and Avik and then hauled our luggage up a huge flight of stairs, after removing our shoes (I hate removing my shoes especially when the carpet is at least ten years old), and found a well-setup room with private bathroom. Shower had great water flow and there was cable TV and internet access--really appreciated these! The next morning, after seeing the sites the night before, we had a nice breakfast spread and conversation with Avik about the proper way to slice a bagel and other such enjoyable nonsense. Avik was very helpful in directing us to a great spot for Hollywood sign picture access. The whole experience was convenient and cheery and we were able to see all the places we were wanting to see. We would recommend this place for anyone going to explore LA for a few days.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple