“Great alternative choice when staying downtown.”

The Los Angeles Athletic Club Hotel
Ranked #79 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Interesting hotel with the athletic club built into the building. Rooms were a nice size, bed was fine and the hotel was quiet enough to sleep undisturbed. There is parking at the hotel you also receive a very nice breakfast as part of the package. Recommended for someone wanting a bit better feeling from a downtown hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike B, Manager at The Los Angeles Athletic Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Thomas S, thank you for taking the time too submit a review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and if you have any questions feel free to contact me. Mike Brennan

Reviewed November 25, 2013

**If this review was helpful - please do rate it helpful on trip advisor by clicking the helpful button at the bottom of this review!**

To be clear - my rating system for this hotel is not based on amenities. It is based on:
- price - location - convenience - service - overall value

This is an excellent hotel choice if you want to stay in Downtown LA. If this is your first trip to Los Angeles, please be sure to check out the neighborhoods, and make sure this is the one you want to be in - Downtown LA is quite a distance from the Beaches (Stay in Santa Monica), or Sunset / Hollywood area (stay in Westside).

Overall Comments:
+ Good service, friendly staff.
+ Location is right downtown - close distance to Stapels Center, and walking distance to some fun bars.
+ Good price, good alternative to the larger chain hotels such as the Marriot or the Ritz right by the Staples Center.
+ Parking for $12 / overnight in garage right next to the Hotel.
+ Nice breakfast Buffet included in room.
+ Cool / oldschool bar and resturant in the hotel
+ Fun old / LA charm in the hotel.

Don't let the Lobby fool you. It is a little worn and torn, but as soon as you go up the elevators to the rooms, the halls and rooms are extremely well taken care of and nice. Rooms are a little dark, but very clean, nice furniture, and the beds are EXTREMELY comfortable. Room quality is comparable to a Hilton. If you want more room (sitting room with couch ) and light (more / big windows) - I would recommend a suite on the top floor.
Great for a one or 2 night stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Ocean F

Ocean F, Thank you for taking the time too submit a review, the feedback is much appreciated. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I apologize about the dim lit rooms and assure you we will be adding more light to our rooms in the very near future. Again thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again. Mike Brennan

Reviewed November 8, 2013

This old pile has more character than all the other hotels in Los Angeles put together. The staff are friendly and dignified, the room was quite comfortable, and the included breakfast is far better than the usual sort of 'free' breakfasts.

There is some noise from the plumbing and adjacent rooms, but it was manageable. There is also noise from traffic and sirens, but this was no more than a typical city hotel.

If you are looking for lodging with character and charm, then this is the place to stay in downtown Los Angeles.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Human44
Mike B, Manager at The Los Angeles Athletic Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Human44,
Thank you for taking the time too submit a review, we appreciate the feedback. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay as well as the complimentary breakfast. I apologize about the noisy plumbing issue and will have our engineer team look into this matter to ensure this issue does not happen again. Again thank you and if you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me. Kind Regards Mike Brennan

Reviewed October 27, 2013

I stayed here two weeks ago with a friend. We were visiting from Chicago and going to a fashion show in the fashion district that night so we wanted to stay somewhere close. Downtown LA is not the greatest right now but the hotel was a gem. We were greeted immediately upon entering the doors and the interior was beautiful with fresh flowers in the foyer. We received two breakfast vouchers for free breakfast the next morning which was very welcome for two twenty-somethings on a budget. The floors that had hotel rooms on them were beautifully decorated and very, very quiet. The rooms were smaller but also nicely decorated. The wall color was DARK, which is fine by me because I like sleeping in dark rooms. The big king was very comfortable and roomy. The bathroom was small and not as clean as I thought it would be but still nice. We only stayed one night so we were in the room for a total of 7 hours probably but it was a great hotel, very classy and the service was friendly.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank JuliaVA713
Mike B, Manager at The Los Angeles Athletic Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

JuliaVA713,
Thank you for taking the time too submit a review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and our staff made you feel welcomed. We are currently working on lighting in our rooms to provide a bit more brightness when needed, as well as deep cleaning all bathrooms to ensure absolute cleanliness from top to bottom. If you have any other questions or concerns feel free to contact me. Kind Regards Mike Brennan

Reviewed October 17, 2013

I stayed here for my birthday last week and had the most wonderful night. The staff was very accommodating but not in a smarmy way. You get the feeling that they really wanted to help you. The room was beyond comfortable!! I could have easily stayed more nights! The breakfast buffet was so enjoyable that my only regret is that I could not eat more. I took a stroll through the hotel and it was like walking into a sports museum. I took pictures of some great sporting images and artifacts. I did not have the time to check out the gym or the pool or any of the other fun stuff but I will be back for that!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank TTMA2013
Mike B, Manager at The Los Angeles Athletic Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2013

TTMA2013,
Thank you for taking the time too submit a review, the feedback is much appreciated. I am happy you enjoyed your stay and hopefully upon you next visit you have enough time to see our pool and basketball court located on the 6th floor. Kind Regards Mike Brennan

Reviewed October 16, 2013

We stayed here while in LA for a downtown wedding. Downtown LA is still a work in progress, but there are some good things starting to happen down there. Our room was nice and well-appointed, the bed/linens were awesome! The breakfast is a great amenity and we liked the Art Deco/vintage décor of the entire hotel. The ability to use all the sports/workout facilities of the club make it an amazing deal. Our only complaint was that the restaurant/room service is not available on weekends. Luckily, there are a lot of take out places within walking distance.

Here's the best part: On the morning we checked out, a cycling event was going on downtown and the street was blocked off. The taxis couldn't get to the hotel and we were about to walk several blocks with our luggage to get a cab to the airport. Terri, the sales manager, was in the lobby and offered to drive us to LAX in her car. She got us there in plenty of time, and was so much fun to talk to. We got a great history of the hotel and really enjoyed meeting her. Thank you Terri! Now THAT is service!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank booda555
Mike B, Manager at The Los Angeles Athletic Club Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Booda555,
Thank you for taking the time too submit a review, the feedback is much appreciated. I apologize about all the street closures during the cyclavia event in Los Angeles. I am happy that Teri went above and beyond, not only with driving you to LAX but giving you a little history of our club. Guest Service is our #1 priority and we make sure everyone has a great stay. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me, and again thank you. Kind Regards, Mike Brennan

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Had a nice stay here. The staff were helpful, courteous and really could not do enough for you. Restaurant was very good and the dinners I had via room service were tasty, hot and delivered in really good time. Bed was comfortable, bathroom great and I really cannot complain about the service and services of the hotel.

I had one problem, but it was fixed within ten minutes of being reported. All in all, a good place to stay except for one thing - the noise of the traffic.

I was on the 12th floor and the traffic noise was very audible. Even in the early hours it is very audible. I check with other people who were staying here at the same time and they too said the traffic noise was loud. Normally traffic does not bother me, but having flown in from the other coast, my time zones were three hours ahead of LA and the noise woke me up at 3.00 am, and I never got back to sleep. Not sure there is much the hotel can do about this, but when checking in, ask for the quietist room possible. You may not get one, but at least you know you asked!

Room Tip: Ask for the quietist room they have available.