“Couldn't have been better.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Los Angeles
The Secret Garden Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #22 of 91 Los Angeles B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Couldn't have been better.”
Reviewed July 13, 2006

After a long trip through California filled with hotels ranging from horrible to decent, the Secret Garden was a wonderful luxury. Where to begin? The property is gorgeous, with beautiful gardens and an aviary. The location is in a residential neighborhood in close proximity to shops in West Hollywood (walking distance). Parking was never an issue. It was free and right on the property grounds.

It seems there must be a new owner because no one named Raymond was around, and I believe the owner and host was David. He was very friendly and helpful, as was the wonderful Michael, who made delicious breakfasts for us whether we woke up at 7 or 10. We were also given maps and lots of advice on the city.

Our room was so comfortable that by the second day, I felt as if I was in my own home. When I reserved the room and heard the bathroom wasn't in the bedroom, I thought it might be an annoyance but it turned out to be just fine.

For those who said the place was dirty, I'm not sure I can relate. I suppose all of the appliances and furniture are not super modern and up to date, but if that's what you are looking for, you should stay in a regular hotel.

I very much look forward to returning to this wonderful place.

• Stayed July 2006
5 Thank HelloJennyG

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed January 6, 2006

my wife and I have stayed at a few B&Bs in the past and this one was equally good yet different. It definately wasn't as clean or as charming or as traditional as the others but that is what made this one unique. It was the only B&B I could find in LA and was in a perfect area just off the Sunset Strip. The Host, Raymond, was a delight - he made a fantastic breakfast for us during our four day visit and made us feel very welcome in his home. We'll go back the next time we visit LA, and not because how clean the place was (it wasn't dirty, but it wasn't Immaculate like your traditional B&B); but because of how well we were treated and how hospitable Raymond is. This place is more like going to an old friends house, it's not made up perfect but it more than makes up for it in other areas. We didn't stay in the main house, but in the couch house next door. It was quiet and the bed was comfortable. If you stay here don't think you are going to a old school B&B - if you are on the more liberal side and want to meet interesting people, you may really enjoy Secret Garden. We really enjoyed the people we met during our stay,and ended up having 2 hr long breakfasts just chatting.

• Stayed October 2005
3 Thank scbrown13
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 31, 2005

Found this place on the internet and website looked great! WRONG!!!! Not a clean place at all! The bedroom and bathrooms were dusty and dirty and the towels and bed linens had seen better days. Most all of them were very frayed! Cat's on the tables. UGH! Breakfast was okay but not that great. Host was friendly and wild which was okay but I would never stay there again. Parking was horrible! No keys to the rooms! The place has seen better days! Think that this guy is living in a bygone age and not the real world. Don't think he will be in business much longer. Health Department should look into this one.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 31, 2005

I was needing a good B and B in the greater Los Angeles area to stay and found this one on the internet. I was not pleased at all. The first thing as I entered my room was the frayed and tattered towels in the bathroom. Disgusting! Even the linens on the bed were frayed. And the bedspread was really disgusting! The gentleman who owns it seem okay, although he did seem a rather weird and hyper. He had two cats that had the run of the house and I don't like cats. He didn't mention the cats when I made my reservation. He fixed a big breakfast and then I went into the kitchen and it was so messy that I was sorry that I ate!
The living room and dining room is painted in the most ridiculous colors. Parking is a real pain as you have to park right in front or right behind another guest and when someone wants out or in you have to move your car. He didn't have any room keys and I like my privacy. This is not a place that I would recommend to any of my friends, family or business associates.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed August 15, 2005

I've used this website a lot over the past couple of years so figured it would be good to give back a bit. My girlfriend and I (in our late 20's) just came back from a 12 day California roadtrip with the last 3 nights in LA. On the basis of the reviews found here, we stayed at the Secret Garden and loved it! Raymond is the host and is fantastic. His wicked sense of humour might not be for all but we loved it. The breakfasts are amazing. The other varied guests are all interesting and personable (he has a lot of loyal customers it would seem) which makes breakfast that much more fun. Raymond is also full of tourist tips which are very helpful before you head out in the morning.

The garden is quaint and peaceful (yes, peaceful) and location is perfect (between Bev Hills and Hollywood in an upscale neighbourhood). The cost of the place also fit our budget (approx 105 USD/night) and, based on what we paid during the rest of our trip at other places throughout California, very reasonable (the breakfasts themselves should make this place more expensive).

I was worried about AC before we arrived but Raymond assured me that the weather was very mild and it was! In any event are room had AC but we never had to turn it on. Parking was included (tight but manageable) as well. We also had access to the internet for checking e-mail etc.

The bed was huge and the bathroom was nice and clean. Only downside would be the dusty corners and nooks and crannies that you find at some points in the house; also the shower pressure was not the absolute greatest but it is an older house so not unexpected.

Nevertheless, the important stuff to me (sheets, bed, bathroom, dinnerware, etc.) was all clean and fine. Our room even had cable TV (which I was not expecting). All in all a great way to cap off the vacation! (And the muffins he gave us for the airport were great as well).

One of the highlights of our vacation!

• Stayed August 2005
6 Thank vacationer1975
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed May 24, 2005

This was the first stop of our two week California Holiday. My family and I laughed from the first moment we arrived till the moment we left three days later. We thoroughly enjoyed the delicious breakfasts, the other guests, friend A.J., the cats, and most of all, RAYMOND. He was kind,helpful and totally entertaining. We have stayed in fancier and cleaner B&B's but if you bring your sense of humour, those flaws can be overlooked.

• Stayed March 2005
3 Thank DougandDebbie
Hong Kong
Reviewed January 21, 2005

I suppose the guy who answered the phone was Raymond and he made me feel very uncomfortable. I asked him some simple questions (which he thought were very stupid), and replied with such sarcasm that I immediately wanted to hang up. I was stunned, as I thought he was a nice guy from previous comments on him.

7 Thank Joyce L
Petit Ermitage
#2 of 20 in West Hollywood
Chateau Marmont
#10 of 20 in West Hollywood

Been to The Secret Garden Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!