“Tattered linens and towels”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Los Angeles
The Secret Garden Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #23 of 94 Los Angeles B&B and Inns
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed October 31, 2005

I was needing a good B and B in the greater Los Angeles area to stay and found this one on the internet. I was not pleased at all. The first thing as I entered my room was the frayed and tattered towels in the bathroom. Disgusting! Even the linens on the bed were frayed. And the bedspread was really disgusting! The gentleman who owns it seem okay, although he did seem a rather weird and hyper. He had two cats that had the run of the house and I don't like cats. He didn't mention the cats when I made my reservation. He fixed a big breakfast and then I went into the kitchen and it was so messy that I was sorry that I ate!
The living room and dining room is painted in the most ridiculous colors. Parking is a real pain as you have to park right in front or right behind another guest and when someone wants out or in you have to move your car. He didn't have any room keys and I like my privacy. This is not a place that I would recommend to any of my friends, family or business associates.

• Stayed: May 2005, traveled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed August 15, 2005

I've used this website a lot over the past couple of years so figured it would be good to give back a bit. My girlfriend and I (in our late 20's) just came back from a 12 day California roadtrip with the last 3 nights in LA. On the basis of the reviews found here, we stayed at the Secret Garden and loved it! Raymond is the host and is fantastic. His wicked sense of humour might not be for all but we loved it. The breakfasts are amazing. The other varied guests are all interesting and personable (he has a lot of loyal customers it would seem) which makes breakfast that much more fun. Raymond is also full of tourist tips which are very helpful before you head out in the morning.

The garden is quaint and peaceful (yes, peaceful) and location is perfect (between Bev Hills and Hollywood in an upscale neighbourhood). The cost of the place also fit our budget (approx 105 USD/night) and, based on what we paid during the rest of our trip at other places throughout California, very reasonable (the breakfasts themselves should make this place more expensive).

I was worried about AC before we arrived but Raymond assured me that the weather was very mild and it was! In any event are room had AC but we never had to turn it on. Parking was included (tight but manageable) as well. We also had access to the internet for checking e-mail etc.

The bed was huge and the bathroom was nice and clean. Only downside would be the dusty corners and nooks and crannies that you find at some points in the house; also the shower pressure was not the absolute greatest but it is an older house so not unexpected.

Nevertheless, the important stuff to me (sheets, bed, bathroom, dinnerware, etc.) was all clean and fine. Our room even had cable TV (which I was not expecting). All in all a great way to cap off the vacation! (And the muffins he gave us for the airport were great as well).

One of the highlights of our vacation!

• Stayed: August 2005
6  Thank vacationer1975
Reviewed May 24, 2005

This was the first stop of our two week California Holiday. My family and I laughed from the first moment we arrived till the moment we left three days later. We thoroughly enjoyed the delicious breakfasts, the other guests, friend A.J., the cats, and most of all, RAYMOND. He was kind,helpful and totally entertaining. We have stayed in fancier and cleaner B&B's but if you bring your sense of humour, those flaws can be overlooked.

• Stayed: March 2005
3  Thank DougandDebbie
Reviewed January 21, 2005

I suppose the guy who answered the phone was Raymond and he made me feel very uncomfortable. I asked him some simple questions (which he thought were very stupid), and replied with such sarcasm that I immediately wanted to hang up. I was stunned, as I thought he was a nice guy from previous comments on him.

7  Thank Joyce L
Reviewed June 3, 2004

We stay at the Secret Garden everytime we go to Los Angeles---and yes, it is like coming home! Raymond is the best---we have never had a problem with a reservation. He is always happy to see his guests, makes sure we get to know each other and his food is divine! Breakfasts are a combination of good food and interesting people---we always linger over tea and talk long after the dishes are taken away. The location is perfect---quiet and yet close to the main street of West Hollywood and other areas of LA. The garden really is secret and a beautiful place to sit with a good book and watch the birds. Comfortable beds---who could ask for more? We look forward to our stay each time we visit!

• Stayed: January 2005, traveled on business
4  Thank mnull27
Denver, CO
Reviewed May 19, 2004

After having lived in LA for over 12 years, I thought I knew of every place to stay. As my family and I have since moved and we visit LA at least three to four times a year, we've found a home away from home at The Secret Garden. The place, although right off Laurel Canyon is so tranquil, you don't even feel that you're in the heart of the city. Raymond is the perfect host, and although I've read some complaints here that the place was dirty and in need of a paint job....well, that was then and now is now....the place is a godsend. He doted on my five-year-old daughter and we felt like we were staying at a friend's home. If you want to feel comfortable, this is the place for you.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Houston, TX
Reviewed February 23, 2004

Barely 48 hours before our arrival, Raymond sent an email, apologizing for painting work going on in his B&B during the weekend of our arrival - but suggesting no alternatives. We replied that finding an alternative at that late hour would be difficult and that we preferred to stay at The Secret Garden. We drove up to the B&B at 4pm. Though the painters were hard at work and the house wide open, Raymond was nowhere to be found. We phoned the number on his website and left a message. We waited in the car for over an hour and phoned again, then left and made other plans. We have heard nothing from him in the four days since then. No apology. No call. Nothing. Book at your own risk!!

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dresden B&B
Dresden B&B
#10 of 94 in Los Angeles
Elaine's Hollywood Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Secret Garden Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!