“great loctaion, good staff, clean!”
Review of Cadillac Hotel

Cadillac Hotel
Ranked #257 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
aruba
Reviewed July 13, 2005

me and my family had a great stay at the cadillac last january. the weather was teriible but our stay in this nice hotel made everything okay again! even though we couldnt see any sunshine out off the window in our beachsuite we enjoyed the view off the wind that was blowing the sand of venice beach over the unfortunately empty boardwalk. we will defenitely stay here again if we will return to venice!

• Stayed: January 2005

San Diego, CA
Reviewed July 10, 2005

Here's the deal. If you're young, on a budget, looking for lots of nightlife, and don't care about luxuries such as bath mats, hand towels, wash cloths, mattress pads, or any hint of modern amenities, you'll do fine at the Cadillac. We're a couple in our 50s, and we swallowed hard upon checking in and seeing our room. But we toughed it out and really had a wonderful time. Venice Beach took us back to life in the sixties, which was an amusing trip down memory lane. Tons of excellent restaurants nearby, but I'm glad we had a car so that we could escape the hotel as much as possible. Staff was pleasant--even funny--but parking is the stuff of nightmares. We came away with two deep scratches and a couple of interesting dents. We won't go back because we learned that the phrases "right on the beach" and "$100 a night" can never add up to much more than a hostel.

• Stayed: July 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 5, 2005

All i wanted was a cool place on the beach of Venice where i could chill and see the sights without having to take a crazy amount of time to get to the beach, or to have to use public transpotation in LA.

Cadillac was just what i was looking for. The staff were very friendly and professional, had answers to my questions. The hotel wasn't over priced like i expected most of LA to be.

The rooms were simple and clean. No need for minibars... not everyone loves the life of luxury. This is a perfect place for travellers wanting to just enjoy what venice has to offer... Its even within a decent distance form Santa Monica where they have alot of cool stuff too...

I will be back for sure!

• Stayed: May 2005
Portland
Reviewed June 27, 2005

It was my first trip to LA and wanted to experience
the Venice boardwalk. I didn’t have the budget for a 5
star hotel, but didn’t want to stay in a hostel
either. I heard of the Cadillac Hotel through a friend
and I’m glad I did.

Starting with the basics, the rooms were nice and
clean, but the best part was the view. The service was
very friendly and the environment is international,
the staff and guests come from all over the world. The
beach and cool restaurants and cafes were just a stone
throw away. So I enjoyed my stay and would definitely
come back.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 15, 2005

I really don't know what everyone's talking about. My 11 yr old daughter and I have just returned from a 3 week roadtrip through the Southwest and after staying in LA for three nights on the first leg of our trip we carried on to the Grand Canyon. We were to head to New Mexico after that but enjoyed LA so much we decided on a whim to return and stay for as long as we could. We made reservations here (June 1/05) after reading a great review in the Dummies LA book. We arrived after driving in from Death Valley (the hotel front doors are located at the end of a short alley which, granted, leads directly onto the Venice Beach promenade) where we had to put on our hazards so that we could unload all our luggage (hotel parking is back up the alley, take a right onto a one-way street and another right into another alley with say 18-20 parking spots). We were a little wary when we entered the hotel (potentially cool looking area but very dilapidated) but got to the front desk where a nice Oz girl checked us in. She gave us a key (who has these these days?) on which she wrote the room number with black felt. We got up there and let ourselves into a very scary looking room (like an army barracks) with two bunk beds side by side (like two feet away from each other) and NOTHING else, no tv, no side tables, no clock, no nothing and a very scary bathroom with no tub just shower and grotty sink which looked as though was a shared bathroom. I didn't know what to do other than almost cry and sat down with my daughter and my cell and the travel book to try to find something else. We went back downstairs to let them know we didn't think we could stay in that room as for $130 we had reserved a queen bed and figured we'd have something at least SOMEWHAT presentable. She asked which room we were in (I believe it was 308 but not certain) and immediately said oh no, that's not the room I put you in, you were supposed to be in 310 (or whatever it was-I really can't remember). We were iffy about looking at another room after this (as well, if the key for 310 opened 308 then was that a master key? And does anybody else have one as well??-scary thought) but decided we should do it to appease them and so they gave us the key for the new room. We went up and the key didn't work, we tried and tried but no luck. We went back downstairs where they gave us another one we went back up and again didn't work. We were very very frustrated by this time needless to say and went back down where they gave us the ACTUAL master key until they could find the correct key for the room. This finally worked and we entered a fairly nice if clean room with new carpet (chocolate brown) and a bed with a splintery chair by the tv and smallish bathroom with only a shower. THis being the total of all the furniture in the room which had obviously just been renovated as the mirror in the bathroom was hanging crooked and was not covering a mass of open wiring where the vanity lights would have been had there been any. There were no towels in the bathroom, the sink was crooked and there was no hardware (toilet paper holder, etc) at all. The best part of the room was the window which if you looked to the left had a truly fantastic view (if partial and to the left) of the promenade and beach. There was no alarm clock so had to ask for a wakeup call and when I phone to ask for towels I got three mismatched, threadbare grey ones that looked as though they'd be sent over from the haircolouring section of a hairdressers (bleach spots all over and I'm not exagerating). We were to stay for two nights but I phoned the other hotel I had called earlier (Best Western Hollywood Hills) and then cancelled the next night's reservation at the Cadillac. I spoke to the manager the next morning who was very nice and apologetic and we agreed that once all the remodelling has been done the hotel would probably be one to be reckoned with as the location really IS incredible however, I would advise you very, very strongly to call before you stay to ask if the renovations have been completed. A very bad experience.

2  Thank Lover-not-a-Fighter
Reviewed June 11, 2005

Very nice staff, we asked for more pillows and towels and they arrived in minutes. We had the California Suite. Outstanding views of ocean and fruitcakes on the beach walk. Hotel was right on the beach. The hotel was funky/dumpy... but this IS Venice after all, eveything is a bit out of wack. Hotel is clean but threadbare. Some exposed wiring in room in service box, hopfully not live (hello fire marshall!). The candle cafe across the street has excellent food at good prices. Parking is a NIGHTMARE at this hotel...but this IS Venice. We would stay again. Highly reccomend you bring a bag of ice and a cheapo styrofoam coolerm for drinks. No fride or coffee maker in room. Hotel has a small gym and dry sauna in basement, but it is kinda creepy down there.

2  Thank LutefiskHater
Urbana, IL
Reviewed June 6, 2005

I called on 05/30 to make a reservation on 06/03. A female sounding-happily took my reservation with my phone # and creditcard #. She told me it's all set and would see me soon.

When we arrived after 5pm, the receptionist told me that they did not have my reservation after searching everythere. So we are just plainly dead on this. Showed my phone record to their number, and they can do nothing. She told us that they did not keep computer record. She referred me to a hotel which has a 5-min driving distance from beach and is priced at $90+tax. No interest to contact any hotel by beach and just told us all full (though it seemed true). It is just impossible to enjoy the beauty of the beach when we walked around to find a hotel then.

The gal told us that she would look into it and email me to explain it. No emails on 06/06. Happily find that they haven't made charges on my creditcard, though now I regretted deeply to give it to them. who knows what will happen.

So if you plan to stay there, make sure to call them more than once. Better call them one day after your reservation. Call them one day before your arrival too. keep calling to secure.

Stayed: June 2005
#11 of 355 in Los Angeles
The Kinney
The Kinney
#3 of 11 in Marina del Rey

Been to Cadillac Hotel? Share your experiences!