“Completes the venice experience”
Review of Cadillac Hotel

Cadillac Hotel
Ranked #251 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
“Completes the venice experience”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I have a tough time understanding the modern traveller with such easy access to information these days. I know when i travel i do research on where i am going and the amount of negative reviews of this hotel just shows how many people do not. I have been a repeat customer of the cadillac because it screams venice. I have seen the transformation of this hotel and have been lucky enough to establish friendships with the excellent staff that have been there for years now. Its a second home for me....venice is an explosion of diversity...the closest thing to hippie san fran back in the day. For that reason the homeless live here as they are looked after and they have an opportunity to make money with creativity. They are people too! I have spoken to them and got to hear their stories which are remarkable....this hotel is very clean...the staff is down to earth and excellent...and the location is the best in venice....not to mention they are very reasonably priced....its not the ritz and does not pretend to be....so to the traveller who feel superior to homeless or expect manhaatan beach...dont go....venice wants people with love and respect and if you have that....then there is no better place to be!!

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank mlogan2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Korean first
Reviewed January 12, 2013

If you are looking to save a buck on a cheap place to crash, this place will do! The location is beautiful, but only useful in clear daylight due to an overwhelming number of homeless people outside. The walls and windows are paper thin. That being said, if you get assigned a window with a north/northwest view, ask for an ocean view STAT! I could hear homeless people outside my window talking all night (and my window on the 3rd floor was closed, mind you). Other than that, the guy at the front is nice and my room felt safe enough. You get what you pay for.

My advice would be to spend a few dollars more for a hotel a few blocks north of this.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Ng0118
Pleasant Hill, California
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I booked my stay at the Cadilla on line without reading any of the reviews. Immediately prior to going on my trip, I happened to look at the reviews and was therefore full of no small amount of trepidation. I have to say, I was VERY pleasantly surprised! We arrived and was greeted by a friendly and helpful front desk clerk. Our room was smallish but very clean. Yeah, the linens had a couple of faded stains, but were crisp, sterile and clean! The bathroom appears newly remodeled and also very clean. So what the hell are these people complaining about? This hotel is located on the boardwalk of Venice Beach, a town notorious for its alternative lifestyle. If you wanted a cookie cutter Marriot, stay in one. I was traveling with my two adult sons (both of whom are 6'3" and both of whom opted to comfortable share the queen bed (although a rollaway was provided immediately upon request!). My boys loved the colorful local, the proximity to the beach and the vibe of the hotel. People who complain about this hotel are the same type of folks who complain that they can't find "Ameri-Kan Food" in Cairo! I say, this is a good value!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Johannesburg
Reviewed January 8, 2013

The hotel is surrounded by crazy homeless people, who scream and fight, all hours of the day and night. You will be woken up by them at 6am every morning.
After breakfast, and addict will vomit in front of your wife.
Your bedroom windows won't seal, letting in a steady breeze of freezing winter air.
The radiator won't really work, and when it does it will bang and thump at 3am in the morning.
The people next door to you will scream and slam doors until 4am in the morning.
Kids will run around above you, on paper thin ceilings, shouting and jumping for most of the morning.
The carpets have burn marks and stains.
The shower door is broken.
All of this, in the best sea-view rooms.

Room Tip: Their best sea-view room looks out onto the ocean, and also an informal settlement of drunk vagrants...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank frank w
Vienna
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Can't beat the location - the hotel is right on the Venice boardwalk, just like 100 metres from the ocean. The rooms are modern and clean, we were there with a big group so I saw 4 different rooms of different prices. The ocean-view suites with – surprise – beautiful ocean views could do with little updates in terms of furnutire, especially the kitchenettes, but they were large and clean. For two people, they are quite luxurious (Layout: one room with a TV and a fold-out couch, a kitchenette, a second room with a double-bed, another TV and the bathroom). We had 4 people stay in one of the suites and it got a bit crammed in there, but still enjoyable. The two people having a suite for themselves were definitely better off. But the ocean views were STUNNING so definitely worth it. Great value for money!
The room with twin beds was nice, a little small, also small bathroom, but also very clean and very modern. Another room with a double bed was very large with a large bathroom and a little table. In-room safes in all rooms, very handy. Overall, I liked all the rooms.
They have a coffee maker and cocoa machine downstairs, which is nice, but no breakfast. I heard they were working on converting their huge lounge into a breakfast room though. The hotel has a very vintage feel but not in a cheap or dirty way, it is very well renovated and gorgeous to look at. Very bohemian. All staff we encountered were super-courteous and very helpful. You can find good breakfast restaurants and restaurants a short walk away (I recommend the Fig Tree for great breakfasts and lunch!) and the market across the street will let you use their microwave if you purchase something there. Or you stay in one of the suites and have your own kitchenette... :)
Their parking lot was rather small and challenging, we had to stay at a second lot next door one night when getting back late. Also, if you are picky about your surroundings, Venice has a lot of homeless people and buskers. Coming from a big city, this didn't bother me and I found everybody very friendly, street artists, hippies or homeless people asking for money were always good for a chat and it was very interesting to watch everybody, also from our window. If you are bothered by that, well, then I suppose this isn't for you. I felt very safe though and wasn't worried at all. It can get a bit noisy but overall, we slept well. Also, we spent a lot of time on the roof of the hotel, taking in stunning sunsets and sunrises, and enjoying a beer or two on the camping chairs they've set up there. Very cool and laid back!

Room Tip: If you can afford it, the oceanview rooms are well worth it!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank L0upin
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We were ther in October 2012, and I can say that we saw the ocean and it was only 100 meters from the hotel. But it was the only hotel in our trip where we didn't find air-conditioner, but it was the only hotel in our trip where we found a safe-box in the room! The location is Venice beach and sometimes it was fun and sometimes it was a little bit scary.
The staff was very helpful, they contacted car rent company and they sent a car to deliver us to their office. They answered all our questions, so I think all of them were very nice. Also first we had problems with our safe-box but it was fixed very quickly. Yes, the walls are very thin and we heard almost everything what happenned in 5 meters form our door. Also the shower cabin was VERY small, I think it is evene smaller than 1x1 meter.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Anna_TK
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed December 10, 2012

This Hotel is deceiving. The Photos they post make it seem nicely remodeled but keep in mind it is a 1914 built building and is small and small bathrooms, no AC, nasty place. BUT the worst part is it’s in the slums of Venice Beach where all the bums hang out, Cops patrolling constantly because Bums live outside the doors of the Hotel and surrounding areas. Not safe, not a place for family, kids, romance. All in all a terrible experience. $15 parking fee and $3 internet fee. Gross, wouldn't make this mistake. We stayed here for a bachelor party and were just truly disappointed, I would never bring my wife here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
#8 of 350 in Los Angeles
Ramada Marina Del Rey
Ramada Marina Del Rey
#8 of 11 in Marina del Rey

Been to Cadillac Hotel? Share your experiences!