$149
$255
$249
Hotels.com
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $278/night.

$257
Shore Hotel(Santa Monica)
$382
$369
  • Beachfront
The Westin Los Angeles Airport(Los Angeles)(Great Value!)
$154
$132
Priceline
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of $147/night.

$189
$130
Cancelon
1,127 results
All reviewsbed dormcomedy nighthostel offersfemale dormmixed dormprivacy screendaily activitiesfantastic hostelfree pancakesrun hostelpower pointsown bathroomcleaned dailysanta monicabeverly hillscommon areaskodak theatre
Reviewed January 17, 2012

In a nutshell - for the price (or even for a couple of dollars more), you'd be better off staying in a budget hotel, or better yet, skipping LA altogether!

In detail... if you want to stay in a dorm this is probably a good place for you - though I did not see what the quality of the dorms were like so can't comment there. The private room that my friend and I shared was approximately $100 per night, which I thought was very overpriced for what we got. The room was tiny, with the shower in the middle of the room. If staying with friends, this make it a little awkward. The bunk beds were cheap and creaked with every movement, and we needed to use earplugs to avoid noise from the street and the neighbouring rooms. For the same price you could probably get a room in a Motel 6 or something, which at least would have the shower in a separate room.

Wi-fi access in the room was intermittent at best, and only seemed to work in the common areas. Service seemed to depend on who was working, but I did appreciate the free printer in the lobby - very useful for printing maps.

Location is good - walking distance to the main Hollywood sights and some nice restaurants, from famous places like Mel's Drive-In, to places like the nice family-run Mexican place that the hostel recommended in their brochure - unfortunately the name escapes me. Though if you really want to see LA, you need a car. Everything is very spread out and public transport is limited. To get to Disneyland, for example, by public transport is painful - it took hours. The hostel arranged tours to famous sites like the Hollywood Sign but I wasn't really interested. If you have a car, you can park for free on the street between certain times. There is certainly no shortage of parking spots around, and even paid spots are cheap (since everyone in LA has to have at least one car). Driving in LA was not scary at all, even on the huge multi-lane highways.

If you've never been to LA, I would personally advise against it - go to San Francisco instead, at least it has some character! Hollywood feels very seedy and is not nearly as glamorous as the movies make it out to be (though, Pretty Woman did depict it pretty well - full of hookers). The city itself feels very artificial and concrete - like a giant, sprawling suburb. Though if you do decide to stay here, make sure you visit Ameoba Music nearby, and In 'n' Out burger, which is a West Coast institution. Also, drive up to Mulholland Drive for a great view.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the private rooms - stay in a budget hotel instead.
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank hellofish
Reviewed January 7, 2012

I travelled here early Dec with a friend of mine. We stayed in an 8 bed mixed room. You really stay here for the location. It's situated on a street right between Hollywood blvd and Sunset. Only about a 5 minute walk to the Chinese Theatre. Quite noisy at night but when you're in your rooms you hardly can hear everyone outside. You have like a little light and socket by your bed which is really convenient for when everyone is asleep.

Would really reccomend it.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Frankee M
Reviewed December 26, 2011

Stayed at this hostel in September and had a really bad experience. As part of a world trip myself and my husband have stayed in plenty of hostels but this was by far the worst. We arrived early and left our bags with reception as our room wasn't ready which was fine, we took part in a walking tour of Beverly Hills with Adam,which I would def recommend. He is great fun and full of Information. Anyway got back to hostel in the afternoon and checked in to our room. At once we noticed a strange smell, thinking the room just needed to be aired we put on the fan and left for the afternoon. Getting back there later in the evening the smell was still there. We notified a member of staff who suggested masking the smell with air freshener. No apology or offer to switch rooms. That night we had the worst nights sleep. Located across from the nightclub the hostel does experience noise from locals leaving the club however it was the noise inside that was worse. Until 5am there was constant loud noise from other guests running up and down corridors and banging randomly on bedroom doors. We looked out at once stage and found drunken staff members socialising with guests and making no attempt to control the noise. What's the point in having notices around the hostel asking guests to observe "quiet time" from 11pm if the staff do not enforce it?
Management did not seem interested when we brought this issue to their attention. They also made no apology for the continuing smell in our bedroom and told us it was the first time anyone had complained about it. The female manager offered us a $20 refund (after paying $240for two nights!) and asked the reception staff to refund us on check out. Surprise surprise on checkout the staff had no knowledge of this agreement and we spent 15 minutes trying to convince them it was agreed.
Two good things about the hostel are location and they do offer great pasta nights at a reasonable price
In short, if you would like good customer service and a decent nights sleep look elsewhere. This hostel is seriously overpriced and I would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
USAH, General Manager at USA Hostels Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2012

We apologize for the stay you had back in September. Unfortuantely we had a hard time pinpointing the cause of the smell you experienced while you were there, but we did find it and repair the problem. If we had had additonal private rooms available we would have relocated you. As for noise in the hallways and banging on doors, that will certainly be investigated even though it's 4 months since the incident. We are are hostel known for late-night activities but that does not mean your night's sleep should be compromised. Thank you for the feedback. We take customer satisfaction seriously and all your concerns will be addressed.

Reviewed December 4, 2011

I was travelling on my own for the first time, and this was my first stop of a 4 week trip in the US. I stayed in a 6-bed female dorm and found it very clean, and not too noisy. The staff were really friendly and helpful, and its right on Hollywood Boulevard and near all the sights. Would highly recommend this hostel to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo

Thank you for your kind comments about our hostel. We do try hard to provide good customer service and it's great to hear when a guest has a good stay. I'll be sure to pass along your comments to our staff.

Reviewed November 27, 2011

I stayed here for 3 nights and really enjoyed it. It's close to Hollywood Blvd and all your sightseeing - Walk of Fame, Kodak, Nokia and Chinese Theatres - and also to the metro station. I stayed in an 8-bed dorm for the first 2 nights and moved to a 6-bed dorm for my last night. Both rooms (and their bathrooms) were amazingly clean and comfortable. In my experience it wasn't loud in the hallway or anything like that. Staff were very helpful, knew a lot about Hollywood and always had a smile on their faces. I also felt really safe there, as you have to show your room key every time you enter the building + they have huge lookers in the room. I would always stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Carolynroundtheworld

We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us - thank you for the great feedback. We hope the 'privacy pods' we've installed in the dorms helped make your stay even more comfortable. Come back and see us next year...we're planning a new series of upgrades to our kitchen and patio!