“Funky and fun!”

USA Hostels Hollywood
Wellington, New Zealand
“Funky and fun!”
Reviewed December 11, 2007

Great spot if you want to check out Hollywood. Alternative, funky staff and nice people. The comedy nights on Wednesdays are HILARIOUS! And the bar is fun with cheap drinks.

Security is really good, noones allowed in the building without a card. And each room is locked also.

Free beach shuttles which are awesome.

Would recommend this place.

Only thing to recommend is a chill out room. Otherwise great!

Stayed November 2007
1 Thank Pip H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Buff Point, NSW, Australia
Reviewed September 25, 2007

I stayed with my daughters (18 & 20) at this hostel. We found the staff very friendly and helpful, we were given a tour of the hostel when we arrived. Even at the busiest times at the front counter, the staff always remained pleasant and friendly. Our hostel bedroom (we shared a 6bed dorm) and bathroom were cleaned everyday. The beds were comfortable and sheets very clean and bathroom spotless. We also had very tidy roommates! We stayed in August and it was very hot, my daughters and I were sleeping near the windows and the ceiling fan was always on, so the room wasn't too bad. We still all slept at night! The hostel organises tours. The hostel is in an excellent location, close to Hollywood Bld where the Kodak Theatre and Graumans Chinese Theatre are. The train station is in close walking distance. The hostel has directions, on a notice board, for a lot of different places to visit if you wanted to either drive or use public transport. We found this very useful. The hostel also organises night entertainment, which we didn't participate in, as we were usually out for the whole day and didn't come home till later in the evening. We stayed for 5 nights. You can bring in your own food to cook, there is a big kitchen. Free pancakes were on offer, but as the line took a while to move, my daughters and I just bought cereal and milk to have for breakfast, (there is a shop just up from the hostel which sells grocery items among other things). People are asked to wash up their dishes, utensils etc after using them., detergent, scourer etc is supplied but I did notice some people just rinsing their dishes etc and just leaving them on the sink to dry. No detergent was used to clean their cups, utensils etc. We found this a bit off putting, so after seeing this we bought our own plastic bowls and plastic spoons to use. I am just a bit fussy with this sort of thing :) . But, overall the hostel was great place to stay, it's in a terrific location, and has friendly and helpful staff. Oh and I forgot to mention, you might see someone famous walking along Hollywood Blvd, my daughters did, they saw and had a picture taken with two of the dancers (one came 2nd and one came 4th) from the show "So You Think You Can Dance" my daughters loved this show when it aired in Australia, and they both dance. So they were pretty impressed they saw someone "famous" !!
If you are travelling to their other hostel in San Francisco
(which we did) the hostel arranges for a bus to take you, this only cost us $45.00 each. Very reasonable we thought. The trip took about 7 hours with a few pit stops along the way. We all had a fantastic time and would recommend this hostel to anyone.

Stayed August 2007
9 Thank KathB26
Lille
Reviewed September 18, 2007

this hostel is well located , near hollywood boulevard.
Staff is quite friendly , the kitchen is nice , there is room to seat and eat.
Tours are organized and there is a patio.
Bathrooms are inside the rooms and coronoa at 2$ at the bar.
It's really worth it.
It was my second time !

• Stayed September 2007
3 Thank cotede2
bristol
Reviewed September 13, 2007

The great thing about this hostel is security. if you're looking for a secure hostel in Hollywood then stay here! They check your room key cards everytime you go in, and the lockers are a decent enough size to put most/all of your valuables in.
Some bad things did happen though - my food was thrown out from the fridge, there are stickers that you have to put room number and date on, otherwise they chuck it out, they obviously ignored my sticker!! Also, I chose this hostel due to the fact that they seemed to have a very social atmosphere, two of the tours I booked on to were cancelled, no body bothered to tell us that they had been cancelled and on one of the tours the group were waiting for an hour to then be told "the guy isn't coming in to work today". The staff are only interested in themselves, mainly because they get to stay there for free, there are a few helpful ones but all they're interested in is getting drunk, surprisingly none of the pub crawls ever get cancelled. I stayed here for two weeks and experienced some strange things, they don't offer refunds at all, and if you want to stay extra then they make you check out at 10 and wait for a whole hour in reception before you can go back to the same bed you started with.
However, it is close to two tube stations, and only a few blocks from the main stretch on Hollywood boulevard - that's the only main positive.
The rooms were cramped, had lots of beds all packed in and you hardly ever actually get what you booked. One bathroom between 10 girls isn't good. There was only one window in our room, and a ceiling fan. In July Hollywood temperatures it was totally unbearable. Stay here if you don't mind smelly rooms, being cramped, and you like lots of rowdy drunk people.

• Liked — security and location
  • Disliked — cramped, smelly, very very very hot.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank marnee88
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 5, 2007

It's a really friendly and clean hostel. When i arrieved one of the staff members showed me around and took me to my room. I was so suprised by how clean everything is, bahtroom is in the room, and they clean it every day. There's nice patio outside and tons a tons of tours, parties etc to sign up for. Location is great also. The only downside my room was all the way on the end of the building right if front of post office so i was woken up by the noised of the post office trucks other then that it was really great.

• Liked — friendliness and clean rooms
  • Disliked — internet connection
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank dita22
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed June 29, 2007

I stayed 4 nites and had a great time! Me and my friends loved the place and the atmosphere as soon as we walked in and didn't want to leave! Great location for Hollywood etc. We found the staff to be the best we have come across, they were all waaay cool and friendly and helpful, to the point where one of the female staff let me use her personal mobile when I had to make urgent calls around and the phones were not working. Also spent one nite drinking with some of the staff in their bar, loved the place and would stay again. The only downer was the roomies we were stuck with and the line for the pancakes. Would recommend - although if you are a sleep bunny then you may want to request a room further away from the bar ;)

• Liked — The Staff !!! They rocked
  • Disliked — The roomies
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank tezza_7
Thailand
Reviewed April 18, 2007

First of all, I booked the room through the hostel website and what I booked was 6 beds mixed dorm since there were 6 in our group. Me and my friends arrived the hostel on April 6th and the first news we got was we have to separate into 2 rooms, one room with 4 people and another room with 2. Well...it wasn't a good first impression but we were tired and din't want to argue with anyone. The next thing was the first day there was no hot water guess it was broken and they told us to just hang in there. We survived the first day but I have to say that they fixed the water problem very good. The next day we have hot water. Our group didn't join their activities much since we had our own itinerary and the place was only for resting. The room was ok I would give 7 out of 10 for cleanliness

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends