“Great place in the heart of Venice beach!”

Samesun Venice Beach
Los Angeles, California
“Great place in the heart of Venice beach!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this Hostel for over a week and it truly exceeded my expectations. It was my first time sharing a room with strangers, but we quickly became friends, and had a wonderful time. Our room faced the ocean, it was clean and the staff were fun and extremely helpful. This hostel is highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Mahalroman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

This was my first hostel stay in the US(May 2012) and it was a great experience. When I arrived, my room wasnt ready then, so the staff gave me some beer to keep me busy, which worked quite well. When I got to the room, I found wooden bunk beds in an average room. I didnt need a book, because a bunch of people eternalized themselfs with poetry, their names, swear words or just non sense on the top of my bed. The window showed right to the boardwalk, which wasnt dramatic, instead of one night, where one of these Hare Krishna bands, who are singing 'Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Hare Hare Hare Krishna' for hours, haunted my sleep. The location is just amazing. A 1 minute walk to the beach and you have a lot of shops and bike rents right in front. (I can only recommend you to rent a bike and go to Malibu. At some point you have to drive on the street, close to the cars( very dangerous), but its worth it!)
All in all, great hostel, awesome location . I would come here again

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Chaim S
Worcester, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Amazing location right on Venice beach. walking distance to everything. the rooms can be hot in the summer with little to no air. we saw other rooms that faced the beach that had big open windows that would have been amazing so next time we have to ask for one.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rumpelstiltskinn
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Where to begin... Unreal Hostel. Fantastic Staff.. Great Location.. Its just Brilliant.. Staff made us feel so welcome. Great party nights every night.. Will be back there. Kitchen to cook food in could be bigger as there is only two hobs. Lots of storage space for food.. If they gave breakfast everymoring it would be a little bit more value for money as it is quite expensive. But I loved it and I will be back again :)

Room Tip: Stayed in a four person dorm
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank AoifePatricia23
samesunvenice, Manager at Samesun Venice Beach, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, from the staff to the activities. Stay tuned for our newly added feature: breakfast!

Cheers and safe travels.

Sara
Park City, Utah
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Avoid this place at all cost! We had a private, double-occupancy room. The window faced a wall, which meant no breeze. There were no fans available, and it was so unbearably hot in the room at 10 p.m. that we ended up staying on the beach until we absolutely had to sleep. The carpet is crunchy -- we kept shoes on -- and the halls smell of mildew and rot. Wi-fi didn't work. The sheets were full of sand and had obviously not been changed from the last guest. We tried to sleep on top of our clothes laid out on the bed until we couldn't stand it any longer and gathered our things and crept away from this miserable place at 5 a.m. (There's a great Starbucks two streets over where we spent the morning enjoying a beach breeze, good coffee, and good company.)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Zany_C

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

Venice Beach Cotel is in the Heart of Venice Beach.
Nice sized room, with 4 beds, one private washroom,
I shared a room with two cool cats, one really quite one from Europe,
and one party Animal from jersey, both chill guys, my items felt safe,
nobody but I really used the locker,
housekeeping was nice,
front desk was nice, very accommodating, they let me stay in the lounge for 2 hours until there was a room ready, I was pretty early. you could come and go, also.

my only complaint, the guy behind me when checking in was told there was no beds left.
but there was a empty bed under mine the whole week I was there, I felt so bad for him.

Room Tip: No card entry, you have to buzz in every time at the front desk.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Fremantle, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

The hostel is basic, could do with some updating but the location is the #1 reason to stay here. It's literally right on the Venice boardwalk. Amazing location. The only massive downside is a transsexual cleaner who I caught TWICE watching people shower. He/she saw that I caught them the first time and still went back for more.

If you do stay here, make sure you shut the small bathroom window completely and also use the lockers as I have heard some stories about theft here.

All in all aside from those two things, I would stay there for the location alone

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Shore Hotel
Shore Hotel
#1 of 36 in Santa Monica
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,717 reviews

Been to Samesun Venice Beach? Share your experiences!