Samesun Venice Beach
Best Western Plus Sunset Plaza Hotel(West Hollywood)(Great Value!)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel(West Hollywood)(Great Value!)
$232
  • Restaurant
$129
FourPoints.com
  • Pool
The Westin Los Angeles Airport(Los Angeles)(Great Value!)
$152
Shore Hotel(Santa Monica)
$339
Travelocity
  • Beachfront
All reviewssanta monicagreat locationsamesun hostelbed dormprivate bathroomstay in venicemuscle beachfree breakfastclean roomsskatebackpackersroommateslimosinkuberhollywoodlax
Reviewed October 14, 2012

By no means is this the worst place I have stayed however I would not be recommending this place. Yes the location is good, you're literally a few feet away from the main Venice Beach area, however at night I didn't feel particularly safe.

My friend and I had been traveling for a few months and this hostel was recommended earlier on in the trip by a guide who had taken us around Hollywood...clearly there was some commission for him when people followed his advice...

The room we had was ok in size, however the bathroom was terrible, the shower head fell off within minutes of us being there, the carpet felt gross, the mattress felt like nothing, the bed linen was a bit sketchy. Didn't feel like our stuff was pariculalrly safe either as the whole place wasn't really secure. On our last day we needed to leave our bags somewhere, we had been told our bags would be left somewhere secure....however this simply meant piling our stuff up with everyone else's stuff just behind the bar...there was no system to let them know who was coming and going and whether people had taken the right things. Luckily we had nothing stolen.

If I was to come back to LA I'd probably stay at a hostel in Santa Monica, which is a better area. I'd stayed in many hostels over the US that I would highly recommend however this place is not one of them.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank keentoseetheworld88
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Stayed in a private room with ensuite - wicked views of the beach.
Pub/Bar directly downstairs.
This place is the perfect location and price for checking out Venice Beach.
Our room was right next to the "bar" however our sleep was not disrupted at all.
The rooms were really clean and I was surprised how good the bathroom was too. Great location, staff are friendly.

Room Tip: Private Ensuite - great views :)
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Excellent location & super fun staff. Two friends & I stayed here in a three person private room - which was a double bed & the third one of us was on a pretty dingy stretcher bed. Together with a whole lot of other guests & a lovely girl from the hostel named Dora, had a crazy fun night out on the town. The place has top security too and almost right on the beach.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Have been meaning to write this review for a while now. On a 2 month drive across the usa this was the worst and most expensive place me and my boyfriend stayed!!! Our room (private room) was so small you couldn't move at all, there was no parking even though they say there is (they advise you to park on the streets surrounding the hostel but what they dont tell you is you can get fined when the street cleaners come round each day) there was no air con, the window led to the boiler room so there was no air in the room at all. it was sooooooo hot. they supply you with a fan but all it does is circulate the hot air. We are not the kind of people who are fussed about having a nice room but this place really was horrible! The only good thing is the location is right on the Venice Beach Boulevard. take our advice if you really want to go to venice beach, spend your money on a hotel which is slightly more in land and you will have a much better experience.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank joe g
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We came to Venice Beach Cotel as refugees from the sickening Venice Beach Hostel (Yale).

We were pleased to find our room had ocean views, there was a private bathroom for the 8 person dorm. The sheets were clean, the provided towel was a bit gross but I'm sure if I'd have asked rather than using my own I'd have got another one.

Contrary to other reviewers, we actually found the room to be a little cold at night even though we were there in August and the room didn't have aircon. We had a corner, second floor dorm - so maybe those rooms are the cooler ones..?

My experiences with the staff were all positive.I found them to be helpful and friendly. Also the hostel arranges transfers to the airport. The transfer was relatively cheap (if there's more than 1 of you travelling) and it was punctual.

Only real downside was that breakfast wasn't provided. However, there's plenty of cheap and tasty cafes nearby.

Would recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends