“Awesome location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Samesun Venice Beach
Melbourne, Australia
“Awesome location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

Stayed in a private room with ensuite - wicked views of the beach.
Pub/Bar directly downstairs.
This place is the perfect location and price for checking out Venice Beach.
Our room was right next to the "bar" however our sleep was not disrupted at all.
The rooms were really clean and I was surprised how good the bathroom was too. Great location, staff are friendly.

Room Tip: Private Ensuite - great views :)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Terrigal, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Excellent location & super fun staff. Two friends & I stayed here in a three person private room - which was a double bed & the third one of us was on a pretty dingy stretcher bed. Together with a whole lot of other guests & a lovely girl from the hostel named Dora, had a crazy fun night out on the town. The place has top security too and almost right on the beach.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

Have been meaning to write this review for a while now. On a 2 month drive across the usa this was the worst and most expensive place me and my boyfriend stayed!!! Our room (private room) was so small you couldn't move at all, there was no parking even though they say there is (they advise you to park on the streets surrounding the hostel but what they dont tell you is you can get fined when the street cleaners come round each day) there was no air con, the window led to the boiler room so there was no air in the room at all. it was sooooooo hot. they supply you with a fan but all it does is circulate the hot air. We are not the kind of people who are fussed about having a nice room but this place really was horrible! The only good thing is the location is right on the Venice Beach Boulevard. take our advice if you really want to go to venice beach, spend your money on a hotel which is slightly more in land and you will have a much better experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank joe g

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

We came to Venice Beach Cotel as refugees from the sickening Venice Beach Hostel (Yale).

We were pleased to find our room had ocean views, there was a private bathroom for the 8 person dorm. The sheets were clean, the provided towel was a bit gross but I'm sure if I'd have asked rather than using my own I'd have got another one.

Contrary to other reviewers, we actually found the room to be a little cold at night even though we were there in August and the room didn't have aircon. We had a corner, second floor dorm - so maybe those rooms are the cooler ones..?

My experiences with the staff were all positive.I found them to be helpful and friendly. Also the hostel arranges transfers to the airport. The transfer was relatively cheap (if there's more than 1 of you travelling) and it was punctual.

Only real downside was that breakfast wasn't provided. However, there's plenty of cheap and tasty cafes nearby.

Would recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank JFBY
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

Some backpackers are too critical about hostels on this site. I found the Cotel to be great. It was clean and rooms had towels available. The sheets were changed everyday and rooms were cleaned. Really quite good for a hostel and a totally awesome location. It's right on Venice beach. Some have said ir's too far away from othe rparts of LA.....well LA is just big! It's hard to get around without a car (I didn't have one). Transport really isn't that bad though. I suggest that travellers could stay here and then at other hostel(s) in other parts of LA if you are concerned with distance of travelling etc.

I found the staff to be utterly lovely. It was in fact my 28th birthday on my second night at the Cotel. As I was travelling alone the staff were great. The manager took me out for drinks and then got the other staff members to throw me a surprise! While out of the hostel the staff had let everyone know it was my birthday and got everyone to sign a birthday card for me! On top of all this I was bought a mahooosive chocolate birthday cake too! I was not expecting any of it and was very touched! Everyone then came out for my birthday :) I had a great night.

I would say this is a great place to stay and reasonable in cost. If I go to LA again I'd stay again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank aileen1984
Paris, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

We booked this hostel for 3 nights and regretted it as soon as we entered the building. The person at the reception was not friendly whatsoever. When we asked about the cancellation policy (we were not sure wether we wanted to leave a day early, she just pointed at a sign on the wall that read "no refunds" without saying a word).
The room was a nightmare, there was no air conditionning, the temperature probably reached 30 degrees, keeping us awake for most of the night.
We paid 120 dollars a night, which was clearly NOT worth is. The only positive thing about this hostel is it's location (one block away from Venice Beach), however you must know that a lot of homeless and drunks tend to wander around the beach at night which doesn't make you feel safe at all! Their was only 2 bathrooms for the whole floor and meant waiting forever to be able to shower (or go to the toilet), the air conditionning simply didn't work (even though they didn't admit it), the temperature inside the hostel was actually higher than the outside temperature, the carpet in the hallway was in the worst state, the beds were old and uncomfortable...
The situation was unbearable so we emailed the manager to cancel our 3rd and last night. She responded that she could cancel it but we would not be refunded (basically meaning that would allow her to rent the same room twice for the same night) so we stayed and had the worst night ever. We emailed the manager again saying we would like to meet her in person before leaving so that we could give her our feedback on our stay but of course she didn't email us back until a few days later saying "she didn't understand that we wanted to meet her".
Once again, DO NOT stay there, these people basically just want your money and once they get it, they don't wanna have anything to do with you!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Thomas W
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

Dont stay here of you expect help or advice from the people running the hostel. Very nice place, beautiful surroundings ruined by the ignorance of staff, who were consistently disgruntled when asked for help or assistance. Didn't look directly at me when speaking, refused to help find a solution to a simple query and overall ruined the quirky atmosphere of Venice beach, leaving me with a bad taste in my mouth for this hostel. The effort put in was barely minimal and people difficult, a huge shame when it was supposed to be the friendly and easy going end to an otherwise fantastic trip. Useless and ignorant.

• Stayed July 2012