“Nice place to stay”

Venice Beach Hostel and Hotel
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This hostel is ideally located. The facilities are very good. Clean bathroom and sufficent space for a backpacker. I really loved the paintings on the walls in the bedrooms. Good size kitchen. On our trip we didn't interact much with the other guests, luck of the draw I guess; however we made friends with some of the staff. I will for sure stay here again if I visit Venice beach again,

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Loved the time we spent here. Probably the best location in Venice as it joins onto the Venice sign and is just 1 min walk from the beach. The hostel provides free coffee and waffles in the morning and I met some really interesting people whilst staying here, all of which were very friendly! We even went to san fran with one of the guys we met!
The only issue you could have was that smoking is permitted in the common room so it could get rather smokey, but to me this just added to the Venice Beach atmosphere.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Was concerned with previous reviews. However enjoyed an excellent stay. Staff on reception were very friendly and helpful. Room was basic but clean and spacious - definatley recommend private room ! Location was great just off Venice beach, restaurants and off licence near by. Not a massive amount of Night life around in the way of bars and clubs but a good opportunity for a cheap night in with a few beers meeting new people

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 18, 2012

DONT EVERRRRR STAY HERE!!! If I could, I wish I could sit out there everyday just to let everyone know HOW DISGUSTING and VILE this place is. BUGS all over the bed, room and bathroom. Drugged out bums having KEYES TO ROOMS...I know because they got into my room in the middle of the night. When I tried to get a refund, the owner WOULD NOT meet with me. Finally, after me going back day after day I finally caught him. His answer was that he will NEVER give a refund.I called the cops and of course they did NOTHING.

PLEASE JUST SLEEP IN YOUR CAR! YOU'RE SAFER AND CLEANER.

Room Tip: Sad to say but too many travelers overlooked my girlfriend's review from 2007 ("Desk Agents...
Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RastaSurfer
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Firstly this is a terrible service, that claims to offer so much! We arrived at first and they had lost our booking and they admitted that even if you book on hostelworld it often gets lost and there was nothing they could do!
They finally found our booking, but admitted that we could not check in till 3pm YOU DO NOT PAY 45 DOLLARS to receive such service. Finally I was put it into a 'private' room which represented more a prison cell which was damp and has pieces of brick falling on my bed. Free dinner was also offered what i received was a bowl of stale rice. This is an awful hostel, and we moved to the other Venice beach hostel on yale avenue which is brilliant. Do not stay here, the staff are clumsy and cocky1

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank willrichards26
Reviewed August 31, 2012

My husband and I only stayed for 2 nights but during that time we had an enjoyable time in Venice Beach. The location is amazing, walk around the corner and you're on the boardwalk right in front of the skate park, jus down from muscle beach.
We booked a private room which made all the different as the room was massive! Very light and airy in the room. No aircon but there is a fan and with the sea breeze we have plenty of fresh air.
The free waffles in the morning were great. We didn't stay for dinner (not my husband's type of food) but if you we had done that, we could have easily have eaten for about $10 per day - there are a lot of cheap eateries along the broadwalk (cheap pizza, hot dogs etc or visit Subways across the road).
The free wifi was quiet poor in our room but in the common room was excellent.
Venice Beach is very free spirited and some might be intimated by the locals, especially at night (would recommend a stay in Santa Monica if that is the case). However the location of this hostel is very close to places to eat - eg Larry's around the corner is a good place for a bite to eat for dinner and excellent beer.
One point to note - the hostel doesn't let you bring food back to your room, either at in the common room our eat out for dinner.
The hostel is around the corner from Jay's Rentals where we hired skates and a bike for a few hours - great activity to do along the board walk up to Santa Monica.
The staff kindly recommended some LA tours with pick ups from around the corner. We had limited time and the bus system into town doesn't look that easy and could take about 60-90 to get there.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I stayed here with a friend for 3 nights, and it was the best hostel on our trip!!
The staff is friendly and helpful, and the location is INSANE 1 minute from the beach !!! The hostel is spacious but worn out. But the rooms and bathrooms are clean !! This is kind of a party hostel, and properly a bit loud, if you want to go early to bed.

Stay here if you want to be at the beach at day and party at night

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Banana Bungalow Hollywood
#12 of 101 in Los Angeles
Santa Monica
Hostelling International - Los Angeles/Santa Monica

Been to Venice Beach Hostel and Hotel? Share your experiences!