“Great location, poor amenities”

Highland Gardens Hotel
Ranked #213 of 350 Hotels in Los Angeles
Los Angeles, California
“Great location, poor amenities”
Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

The best thing about this place is it's close proximity to all of the Hollywood sights and the fact that you get free parking which is really unheard of in this area. Walking into the lobby it feels as though you're walking into any other new or recently recently remodeled hotel. Unfortunately, this is not the case. Our room was run down and had rust along the shower. The front door was worn away at the bottom so you could see right through it. We decided to move the following day and the woman at the front desk was less than friendly. I understand that she was probably disappointed to lose the business, but rather than asking why we were leaving or if there was anything she could do to improve our stay she just was very put off in that she had to talk to the booking agency we used.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Cathy C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I stayed there the third time and it has been again great. Excellent location, room with a balcony towards the pool, garage parking in the basement and most importantly a great and extremely helpful reception team. I will make sure to come back!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank FQTL247
JGB1022, Manager at Highland Gardens Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to serving you in the future.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I stayed here for a little over a month, november into december. I had an awesome experience here, the staff are very helpful and really nice. I had 2 problems with my room which were fixed the same day I spoke to them about it, while I was at classes. I highly recommend staying here in hollywood, it was a great location for me.

I will stay here again when I am back in Hollywood :)

Room Tip: Different rooms have different Kitchens, just speak to them about what you want and you should be ab...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank jcatchlove
JGB1022, Manager at Highland Gardens Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review. Your opinion means a lot to us. We are constantly upgrading and evolving to meet the need of our guests and we value your imput imensely. We are happy that your time with us was a positive experience.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Night One: 1:24am. Next door neighbor wakes me up when he starts playing guitar. Quite poorly, I might add. I drift back to sleep and at 3:12am I was awoken again by loud talking by the pool area which ricocheted off of every wall in the courtyard. Oh how nice. A party. I picked up the phone to call the front desk. It was dead. My husband went downstairs to seek assistance from the desk clerk who had received several calls, he said. At 4:14am I was awoken a third time by teenagers (apparently), speaking at a high volume RIGHT outside our hotel room door. I opted to just stay awake and planned to deal with it in the morning. There's no sense in attempting to negotiate with drunk teens.

Night Two: After a fun but exhausted day in LA, my husband and I return to the room. Through the cracked door in our partying neighbors room I notice a bottle of low quality booze and a large bottle of equally low-grade mixer, along with a stack of cups. I approach the night desk clerk and ask to be moved to a different room, if it all possible. I don't want for the kids to have to miss their party and I don't want to miss my sleep AGAIN, so the best solution for all parties involved is to just give us a different room. He said he spoke with them earlier about the previous night's interruption and there won't be a problem. At around 10:30pm, the party guests began to arrive. We could hear the teens calling people on their cell phones giving out the room number to, seemingly, anyone that cared to attend. And then the guitar came out. Now, I am a music lover myself. I've played in loud bands, written many songs and appreciate good music. This was not good music. The John Belushi scene in Animal House played on a repeat ion my head as I watched the clock, waiting for the screaming teens to relax, but the volume increased, the guitar continued and I called the desk clerk. He told me that he would speak with them. I heard him knock on the door and ask them to put the guitar away. The guitar did not get put away and more guests arrived. The volume reached a fevered pitch, a room packed with drunk teens tends to produce a shrill and offensive tone. I heard one of the new guests comment on the overly full capacity of the room.
I called the desk clerk again who insisted that they would be leaving soon to go out celebrating a birthday and I was the only one bothered by the noise. We were the only occupants within screaming distance, is how I interpreted it. No other guest, paying hard-earned cash for four nights in a hotel would not be bothered by this. And all I asked was that he allow us to move to another room. It wasn't until midnight that he reveal his role at the hotel did not permit him to move us to a different room. This all could have been avoided had he called the management and arranged it before midnight.
I was awoken after 2am by the teens returning to their room with party in tow. I called the desk and told him that the guitar had woken me up AGAIN, and the crappy top 40 hit, which is evidently the only song this drunk teen thinks he can play was not permitting me to get back to sleep. It was a t this point that the desk clerk went into hiding. He refused to answer the phone and when I approached the desk he was GONE. There was a guest waiting to check in who had been standing there for quite some time. I sat and waited for about 20 minutes, with nothing better to do since I was being kept up all night by drunk teens playing crappy guitar. The clerk never showed. The traveling guest knocked on the desk, called for someone... nothing. I'd never seen anything quite like it.

Day 3: I approached the desk early in the morning with my husband to explain to the morning clerk what had transpired. I emphasized that the kids should be allowed to raise all hell and party all night, but we need a room for sleeping and the one next to the teens was not conducive to us reaching our goal of a relaxing vacation. The desk clerk actually DEFENDED the teens, telling me it was someone's birthday!!!!! I was floored. I was treated as if I was intruding upon THEIR HOME with my unrealistic goals of peaceful accommodations for which we spent close to $1000. !!!

The story became a bit clearer when we caught wind of the arrangement they had with a neighboring school. The kids were staying their during Winter break and had a group rate. So, the desk clerk who assigned us this room KNEW that they had been a noisy, bratty, self entitled and problematic lot and put us in the room next to some of them. Why not group them all together so the rest of us can sleep? Regardless of the drastically unprofessional response to my very valid complaint, we were granted our request and were assigned another room. Thanks to the drunk teens, we got an upgrade to a quiet, one bedroom suite. Aaaaaaah.

Room Tip: Ask the clerk if their hotel is used as a dormitory by local school children. This will save you a L...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Pattio666

Travelers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed January 2, 2014

2 friends and I had stayed here for 2 nights. The (#108) room (on the ground floor) that we had was on the small side with 2 queen beds. The outside courtyard in the middle of the hotel was very nice suprise. The front lobby had free wi-fi and our stay included continental breakfast. The staff that I had encountered during our stay were very helpful and friendly. The parking in front of the hotel was very tight and the gated parkade was difficult to access at times. The price was very reasonable and the overall value of our stay was above average but the location was very close to Hollywood Boulevard which was great for us.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank J0hn_C604
San Diego, California
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I have stayed here several times and always ask for room # 105. I always get what I ask for at this place, very accommodating and friendly staff. I like 105 because of the history. If you don't already know of this room, then it really wouldn't matter to you. I do and It does to me :)
I have had people come over to that place to visit me after shows, maybe 2 or 3 am, and stay 'till dawn, and never get any flack from neighbors of management. The closet area of the room has hundreds of well wishers from all over the world that have left messages regarding Janis (One of my favorite people) I will always stay here when in West Hollywood, or until my wife finally says enough is enough. (she's kind of a Loews, Ritz Carlton type of girl) next up, Chateau Marmont
mh.

Room Tip: I scored the 'sleep quality low because I never sleep I only socialize when here :)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank MichaelHubbard
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 28, 2013

After reading reviews of the Highland Gardens Hotel, I wasn't sure what to expect. Imagine my happiness when I arrive at 2pm and room was ready :) It's easy to see this is an older place, trying to renovate and up date their rooms. Ours had a full kitchen w/ microwave and stove/oven. A little kitchenette and great amounts of closet space! The bath is typical bit the vent worked perfectly. Also our own balcony that looked onto pretty trees and flowers -- very relaxing :) Staying two nights and so far the bed is fine and front desk has been extremely helpful......Would definitely stay again!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank atrimper
JGB1022, Manager at Highland Gardens Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
We are working extremely hard to improve your experience and make sure that your stay with us is a pleasant one. We greatly appreciate the positive feedback and thank you for your kind words. When a positive review is posted we feel as though our efforts have not gone unnoticed. Thank you again and we look forward to serving your needs in the future.