“Priced right, very close to Hollywood”

Highland Gardens Hotel
Ranked #217 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed January 2, 2014

2 friends and I had stayed here for 2 nights. The (#108) room (on the ground floor) that we had was on the small side with 2 queen beds. The outside courtyard in the middle of the hotel was very nice suprise. The front lobby had free wi-fi and our stay included continental breakfast. The staff that I had encountered during our stay were very helpful and friendly. The parking in front of the hotel was very tight and the gated parkade was difficult to access at times. The price was very reasonable and the overall value of our stay was above average but the location was very close to Hollywood Boulevard which was great for us.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank J0hn_C604

Reviewed December 13, 2013

I have stayed here several times and always ask for room # 105. I always get what I ask for at this place, very accommodating and friendly staff. I like 105 because of the history. If you don't already know of this room, then it really wouldn't matter to you. I do and It does to me :)
I have had people come over to that place to visit me after shows, maybe 2 or 3 am, and stay 'till dawn, and never get any flack from neighbors of management. The closet area of the room has hundreds of well wishers from all over the world that have left messages regarding Janis (One of my favorite people) I will always stay here when in West Hollywood, or until my wife finally says enough is enough. (she's kind of a Loews, Ritz Carlton type of girl) next up, Chateau Marmont
mh.

Room Tip: I scored the 'sleep quality low because I never sleep I only socialize when here :)
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank MichaelHubbard
Reviewed July 28, 2013

After reading reviews of the Highland Gardens Hotel, I wasn't sure what to expect. Imagine my happiness when I arrive at 2pm and room was ready :) It's easy to see this is an older place, trying to renovate and up date their rooms. Ours had a full kitchen w/ microwave and stove/oven. A little kitchenette and great amounts of closet space! The bath is typical bit the vent worked perfectly. Also our own balcony that looked onto pretty trees and flowers -- very relaxing :) Staying two nights and so far the bed is fine and front desk has been extremely helpful......Would definitely stay again!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank atrimper
JGB1022, Manager at Highland Gardens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

We are working extremely hard to improve your experience and make sure that your stay with us is a pleasant one. We greatly appreciate the positive feedback and thank you for your kind words. When a positive review is posted we feel as though our efforts have not gone unnoticed. Thank you again and we look forward to serving your needs in the future.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Time moves on, but when we returned to the Highland Gardens Hotel in Hollywood after a few years, it was just like coming home. They had moved the reception to the other side of the foyer it seemed, but apart from that everything was just as it had always been. There were still the photos behind reception of some of the stars who have made the hotel their temporary home over the years, including the late great Janis Joplin. Was it her ghost knocking on the room to our Executive Suite the night we arrived, welcoming us back? We hope so. It does not matter that our suite could have done with a lick of paint in places. From a cleanliness point of view the accommodation was spotless and we were given clean towels every day. The suite comprised of a bedroom with two queen sized beds, a lounge and hallway, toilet/bathroom and a kitchen, with fridge, microwave, toaster etc. Not that we really needed the kitchen, as breakfast was included in the accommodation price, but it was nice to have it there anyway. The reception staff were so helpful too, happily answering all our questions about transport and where to go and even booking our Amtrak train to San Diego for when we departed. The really great thing about the Highland Gardens Hotel is its character, for it oozes those bygone days of Hollywood. It is so handy too, just down a side street, a couple of minutes walk off the Hollywood Boulevard. For a most reasonably priced hotel in this location we highly recommend it. We will definitely be going home to the Highland next time we are in Los Angeles!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Trevor93
JGB1022, Manager at Highland Gardens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are delighted that your stay was a pleasant one and we look forward to having you stay with us in the future.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

The hotel is in a good location for the centre of Hollywood, transit and tours. The room was spacious and the air con fine, but there were fleas in our beds. We were bitten all over. One night we almost didn't sleep as a result. The staff did replace our sheets, I think, but this did not help at all. We were bitten hundreds of times and the itching continued for days. The interior is also outdated and worn, the beds old. The breakfast is more of a snack than breakfast, so a little false advertising there. The above would not have been an issue if the rates were reflective of the state of the hotel, but it isn't. The hotel is overpriced.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Andre B
JGB1022, Manager at Highland Gardens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

We are sorry that your experience with our hotel was unsatisfactory. Rooms are treated regularly so as not to have any issues with insects. We are a pet friendly hotel and therefore on the rare occasion that we are notified of a problem in one of the rooms we do everything we can to eradicate the problem quickly. Again, we are sorry for any inconvenience. If you decide to return, I can promise you a free upgrade to a non pet room, and will do everything in my power to make sure that your stay is a pleasant one.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed at the Highland Gardens Hotel, because it was walking distance to the World Famous Magic Castle. It was very convenient for that reason. Also, walking distance to the Walk of Stars in Hollywood. The pool area is nice. With lots of tropical foliage. The suites are nice in size. We had 3 people total. So, my boyfriend and I stayed in the room and our friend used the pull out couch. The bed was not comfy at all. Very hard. They don't provide many soaps, etc either. So, make sure to bring your own comforts of products that you like from home.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Leah C
JGB1022, Manager at Highland Gardens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Thank you for posting a review. We take your input very seriously. We are constantly upgrading our accomodations to make sure your stay is a pleasant one. Thank you again for the positive review. Sofa beds are not always the most comfortable, so we also offer roll away beds with a better mattress. We look forward to your stay with us in the future.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

This hotel is in a great location for a reasonable price. Other than that there is nothing positive to say. We checked in and when we got to our room it hadn't been cleaned. We were given another. It was a nice enough room but old. The shower was tiny and the faucets were confusing. towels were small and scratchy. Not sure how they can advertise free breakfast, its just bad coffee and packaged danish. We were on the street side and had alot of traffic noise.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LoriR96
JGB1022, Manager at Highland Gardens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

We apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you. Rooms are constantly being renovated and updated. If you return, see me, and I will make sure you are satisfied with your accommodations.